Introducing the “NEW” Alu-Cab Canopy Camper

Howdy Folks,

For some of you who have had your Alu-Cab Canopy Camper for awhile, how do you feel about ventilation & so forth in the summer? That is one of my primary concerns since some of the comparable campers offer fan options where for some reason AC does not. With summers getting hotter & longer anymore it's something I keep going back to. Anyone who chose black over silver regret it? Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

lumis

Howdy Folks,

For some of you who have had your Alu-Cab Canopy Camper for awhile, how do you feel about ventilation & so forth in the summer? That is one of my primary concerns since some of the comparable campers offer fan options where for some reason AC does not. With summers getting hotter & longer anymore it's something I keep going back to. Anyone who chose black over silver regret it? Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!
I think the question of silver vs black is a non point unless you are sleeping in the day in direct sun. Aluminum cools off quickly and one of the most thermal conductive materials. After the sun is gone it pretty much retains none of the heat of the day. I live along the gulf coast where it gets hot and very humid and as far as ventilation goes it does well on its own but I do carry a 12v fantastic fan to put in the window when in the heat. But yeah short of ac to much humidity and heat is miserable here.

jjohnson1892

Adventurer
Howdy Folks,

Thanks!

Regardless of what the camper/tent/etc have, I always end up adding a fan to my sleeping setup (even in hotels) so it was a wash. I use a Ridgid battery powered fan and charge the battery up while driving, and it really makes a huge difference. Probably had around 15 nights this summer where temp outside was still in the 90s, and the fan would have done a better job than anything installed IMO.

No regrets here for black over silver, besides missing an opportunity to do something a little different.

Colby Jack

Traveler
Rin,
I saw a post on FB by GP Factor, I believe, that showed what I think was your bison. Can you show more pics of your goose gear setup? I really like the slim profile that doesn’t impede the door way.

Bark40

What is everyone running for rear suspension on their Tacomas? I upgraded my rear suspension to Old Man Emu HD 660 lbs constant load springs. I have a small fridge/freezer and some water in the back. I recently had it in my shop for an alignment after changing the front coils to heavier duty as my front was sagging after upgrading to OME, and the shop said the leaf springs were already sagging pretty good. I can notice it. Also, anyone re-geared their 3rd Gen for driving in the mountains (Colorado). We just bought a Sequoia for my wife and it is amazing in the mountains (v8 of course). My 3rd Gen is constantly hunting for gears. Or any thoughts or upgrades you've done to manage? Thank you.

I'm jumping on the backup camera thread. My camera is mounted under the door and the bike rack blocks my view. Is there an extension cable that would allow me to relocate the backup camera?

lumis

What is everyone running for rear suspension on their Tacomas? I upgraded my rear suspension to Old Man Emu HD 660 lbs constant load springs. I have a small fridge/freezer and some water in the back. I recently had it in my shop for an alignment after changing the front coils to heavier duty as my front was sagging after upgrading to OME, and the shop said the leaf springs were already sagging pretty good. I can notice it. Also, anyone re-geared their 3rd Gen for driving in the mountains (Colorado). We just bought a Sequoia for my wife and it is amazing in the mountains (v8 of course). My 3rd Gen is constantly hunting for gears. Or any thoughts or upgrades you've done to manage? Thank you.
I use the OME HD Dakars. it did settle some with the weight of the camper but not a lot, if I had to guess maybe 1/4-1/2 an inch fully loaded after almost 2 years with the canopy camper on. check and make sure you did not accidentally receive the medium-duty. Also, it is my understanding they are supposed to have a bit of a negative arch which may look a bit unusual to a shop unfamiliar with them. it concerned me when I first saw it but after doing some looking around it is normal so if anyone else thinks otherwise please let us know.

So, I have found these two options, b/c I plan to move my camera up to a high point on the camper once I have it. 1) Being the Rostra one that @lumis pointed out (https://www.responderpse.com/rostra...tailgate-harness-tacoma-plug-wedge-camera.htm) or 2) this one from Camera Source, (https://camera-source.com/automotiv...oma-flush-mount-camera-kit-plug-and-play.html). Both are about the same price, but I haven't really been able to find one that will just sell you an extension harness. They all seem to come w/ new camera as well, so they all seem to come in at $200 which blows.

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
Apologies for the hiatus, the past few months have been wicked busy and work has left me little time for anything else!

First off I have to say the level of customer innovation for the Canopy Camper blows my mind and being someone that geeks heavily on build out ideas this thread has become a nirvana!

Some updates from our side for those who were asking, the GP Factor Dickinson Fireplace Kit initial batch was launched! Not sure if you have peeked one on our website (https://ok4wd.com/dickinson-p9000-heater-camper-fitment-kit) , but AJ from GP really pushed my simple concept to the next level. As if stainless steel construction was not enough, the bracket is coated cerakote for high temp protection. The whole kit can be installed in a weekend by someone with a decent mechanical aptitude. Someone asked about high-altitude operation, which was a concern on my past trip to Colorado as these heaters are intended for marine applications. At first i kept a close eye on the heater, but ended up using it every night on the trip, some nights as high as 11,800ft.

1604762888367.jpeg

I think it was mentioned earlier, but the water tank kits are now officially available as well! (https://ok4wd.com/brands/alucab/alu-cab-water-tank) More info on the site, but LMK what questions you have.

1604762593714.png

We also were able to test a new interior offering from Goose Gear, which is more of a stripped down simple "L" bench system. The top plates have brackets that attach to the camper frame and simple vertical wall attaching to the baseplate create a super lightweight storage area with room to sit and step to get into the bed section. More info to come soon on this form Goose Gear.

1604762946367.png

Last edited:

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
Lastly some shots form our Colorado trip. Cannot say enough good things about the San Juan area and the Canopy Camper really shined in balance of trail capability with the comforts of a shower and heat at night. Cannot wait to get back out next year!

Attachments

• DSC02935.jpg
    DSC02935.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 124
  • DSC02877.jpg
    DSC02877.jpg
    565.2 KB · Views: 144
  • DSC02864.jpg
    DSC02864.jpg
    303.6 KB · Views: 148
  • DSC02783.jpg
    DSC02783.jpg
    397.8 KB · Views: 150
  • DSC02680.jpg
    DSC02680.jpg
    532.2 KB · Views: 147
  • DSC02347.jpg
    DSC02347.jpg
    517.6 KB · Views: 146
  • DSC02417.jpg
    DSC02417.jpg
    643.6 KB · Views: 137
  • retouch.jpg
    retouch.jpg
    593.1 KB · Views: 127
  • CO.jpg
    CO.jpg
    427.1 KB · Views: 118

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I'm sure it is buried somewhere in this thread, but on the 5' bed model, how long is the front portion of the bed platform? Just wonder if at 5'10" I could sleep on that front portion without pulling down the back portion of the bed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles