Introducing the “NEW” Alu-Cab Canopy Camper

lumis

Thanks Lumis. Seems like these clamps have worked well for you. Can you please tell me the brand. I did some looking but there are so many different clamps out there and not sure of the quality? Yours are proven.
Tx

Nothing special just some cheap ones from amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MV7T5GZ/ Alu-cab sells a rain kit for this very reason but this was an easy thing to throw together myself. and I prefer a taut-line hitch knot over one-inch webbing with buckles

rvrboy

I’m running BP-51’s on a 2017 Tacoma HD Leafs with no AAL. SPC UCA’s. No bumpers, sliders, dual batteries and a slew of other accessories. Full size 33” Spare.

I’m still waiting on the arrival of my canopy camper but I ran a GFC for while with a total weight of around 7-800lbs I would imagine while on trips.

I found these settings to be best for me:

-Drivers Side Preload: 15mm
-Passenger Side Preload: 12mm
-Compression & Rebound- Front: 5/5 Rear: 5/5
(These are good starting points, everyone will be different with their weights)

I may need to raise my front a bit sometime because she’s sitting really ass high right now with an empty bed. I’ll wait until I get the Canopy Camper setup first though.

Hope this helps.
Thanks that does help! Yes get the camper on first, I've got HD Dakars with add a leaf and the 6' canopy camper on my access cab OR. Without all the extras the truck sits marginally high in the rear.

Bigmo

Got my HD Dakar leaf packs on this weekend. About a three hour job for me so not bad. Gained back 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inches in the rear over the OEM leaf pack and 1.5 inch AAL that I had before. Also did the carrier bearing drop while I was down there. Front springs I already had swapped to OME 886 and run the Bilstein 5100's all around with super bump stops front and back. Haven't put many miles on it yet but initial review is it handles the weight of the camper much better and the ride is not stiff at all feels the same as before. Time will tell but I feel like this set up will work for me.
IMG_7724.jpg

Last edited:

hksjza70

Thanks for the link. I saw the Alu-Cab Shadow awn storm kit but it was $99 for 3 clips, stakes and line!!!!

I ordered the Peggy Peg Crocodile Clamps from ebay for pretty cheap. If you look close at the alu cab web pictures, they are the same as those included with the storm kit.

Bigmo

Did you paint the hinges?
Yes with just a basic Rust-Oleum brand paint. Been on there a couple months. One of the hinges needs just a little touch up but not bad, other three still holding the paint good. The back doesn't bother me as much so I left it, but those front hinges, I just had to try something.IMG_7671.JPG

Last edited:
Did you paint the hinges?

@seekoutbeauty I believe some of the Campers and Tents have been coming with black hinges based on which hinges are in supply during manufacture (silver vs black). My tent came with silver hinges and I painted them. But one of the tents being installed the day I got mine had black ones. Just luck of the draw right now I think. But hoping with customer feedback they change to black! @rino might have a more solid answer for you.

2ayne

@seekoutbeauty I believe some of the Campers and Tents have been coming with black hinges based on which hinges are in supply during manufacture (silver vs black). My tent came with silver hinges and I painted them. But one of the tents being installed the day I got mine had black ones. Just luck of the draw right now I think. But hoping with customer feedback they change to black! @rino might have a more solid answer for you.
I asked about this when I ordered my camper. Rin told me that they had a shortage on the silver hinges at the time and campers were fitted with black ones as an alternative and the black will likely fade over time.
They provided a special hinge warranty to the campers fitted with black ones but will most likely use silver ones when available.

hiker chick

Could someone who owns the Canopy Camper please share what are the dimensions of the door?

Especially the height. On the Alu-Cab website I've seen only width (980 millimeters = 38.6 inches).

Try to figure out if my Honda Monkey would fit through the door.

Thank you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles