Introducing the “NEW” Alu-Cab Canopy Camper

seekoutbeauty

Someone feel like ordering one of these and trying it out on the cab side of the bed?

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
Rino are they building a 8’ version for tundra or fill size yet
Thx

Not in the near future, we are busier than ever and just trying to keep up at the moment. ?

Any news on the tanks @rino ?

Water tanks are on the water! Official announcement i'm awaiting from HQ as they need to time globally for supply reasons. We have 30 on the way, if you are interested let your local dealer or myself know and we can hold one for you! Pricing estimated at $599 including all mounts and vent kit. On the note of water tank, here is my prototype installed with a 3.0GPM pump. Keeping it super simple, I made a plate to attached the pump to the underside T-slot up front in the camper and for shower head picked up an aluminum hose end with a new style flex garden hose. Kind of unrefined but will not fail and at 25' i can reach around the whole truck to wash my boat off coming out of the river and clean my mountain bike.

Leaving saturday for two weeks in Colorado, will get some better shots!

IMG_4272.jpg

IMG_4283.jpg

IMG_4150.jpg

camodog

Adventurer
I have an old leftover attic from my 5th gen 4Runner I couldn’t sell, can you show me how you guys attached it?

If anyone is interested I put the brog land cruiser attic in my camper this is the long bed camper so if you have the short bed version it would probably fit better. I did have a cheap amazon one and stuff constantly fell out so figured this would work better.
View attachment 609155View attachment 609156
I did the same thing with the one I had in my old 4Runner.

keystone

Leaving saturday for two weeks in Colorado, will get some better shots!

Just inhaled this entire thread; super interested in the CC. If you have time while in Colorado and get up to 12k ft or so (say, Loveland Pass), please run your Dickinson fireplace a bit and let us know how it does at high altitude, low temperature with your clever setup. HopIng to transition from a 4x4 van to a Tacoma/CC but key to that is winter ski trips with a toasty propane heat source.

Have a great trip, thanks for the furnace test if you get the time. Look forward to learning more about the Canopy Camper.

lumis

I have an old leftover attic from my 5th gen 4Runner I couldn’t sell, can you show me how you guys attached it?
I had some 1-inch webbing from an old backpacking hammock that I replaced with better suspension straps so I used that webbing to connect around the top of the bed platform to connect the 2 sides. I initially thought about doing some rivnuts into the bed structure with eyes for connecting it but the webbing worked fine.

rvrboy

Three day trip in VT last week. VERY WET all weekend with torrential downpours, happy to report the camper stayed dry as a bone (y) Cooking was a bit of a challenge, I had to keep running around pushing up on the Shadow Awn to get the puddled water off :)

Lots of hours in the seat exploring trails, wet, muddy and rocky. I had the truck fully loaded 8 gal water, two full jerry cans, full tank fuel and a 60" H-Lift on the front bumper. I wanted to see what the performance would be like for a longer trip I'm planning. Put the truck and BP-51 suspension to work with a lot of full flex and wheel stuffing. With all of that flexing I actually had a small section of rubber seal between the camper and bed rail start to protrude. Easy to fix and when I got home I checked the camper bracket bolts. Again very happy to report everything was still tight.

I love this camper!!

Here are some shots of the trip

Attachments

• VT 082820 03.jpg
    VT 082820 03.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 177
  • VT 082820 12.jpg
    VT 082820 12.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 189
  • VT 082820 16.jpg
    VT 082820 16.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 202
  • Alu-Cab Helio 082120 02.JPG
    Alu-Cab Helio 082120 02.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 209
  • LL Bean Waterhog Runner 081720 02.JPG
    LL Bean Waterhog Runner 081720 02.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 210
  • VT 082820 07.jpg
    VT 082820 07.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 197

lumis

Three day trip in VT last week. VERY WET all weekend with torrential downpours, happy to report the camper stayed dry as a bone (y) Cooking was a bit of a challenge, I had to keep running around pushing up on the Shadow Awn to get the puddled water off :)

Lots of hours in the seat exploring trails, wet, muddy and rocky. I had the truck fully loaded 8 gal water, two full jerry cans, full tank fuel and a 60" H-Lift on the front bumper. I wanted to see what the performance would be like for a longer trip I'm planning. Put the truck and BP-51 suspension to work with a lot of full flex and wheel stuffing. With all of that flexing I actually had a small section of rubber seal between the camper and bed rail start to protrude. Easy to fix and when I got home I checked the camper bracket bolts. Again very happy to report everything was still tight.

I love this camper!!

Here are some shots of the trip

for the water pools on the shadow awning I just got some tarp clamps and tied some line with a taut line knot to the stakes. Here is a picture you can kind of see it, sorry had to zoom.
EF795782-162E-4137-B862-6A7D6BE71D7D.jpeg

rvrboy

Question for those of you who are running OME BP-51 shocks & HD Dakar rears with add a leaf. On a built up Tacoma with the Alu-Cab canopy camper, where do you have your compression and rebound set?
Thanks

rvrboy

for the water pools on the shadow awning I just got some tarp clamps and tied some line with a taut line knot to the stakes. Here is a picture you can kind of see it, sorry had to zoom.
View attachment 610406
Thanks Lumis. Seems like these clamps have worked well for you. Can you please tell me the brand. I did some looking but there are so many different clamps out there and not sure of the quality? Yours are proven.
Tx

2ayne

I’m running BP-51’s on a 2017 Tacoma HD Leafs with no AAL. SPC UCA’s. No bumpers, sliders, dual batteries and a slew of other accessories. Full size 33” Spare.

I’m still waiting on the arrival of my canopy camper but I ran a GFC for while with a total weight of around 7-800lbs I would imagine while on trips.

I found these settings to be best for me:

-Drivers Side Preload: 15mm
-Passenger Side Preload: 12mm
-Compression & Rebound- Front: 5/5 Rear: 5/5
(These are good starting points, everyone will be different with their weights)

I may need to raise my front a bit sometime because she’s sitting really ass high right now with an empty bed. I’ll wait until I get the Canopy Camper setup first though.

Hope this helps.

2ayne

I really wish the threaded drain insert was on the passenger side. (Shower Cube Side) to eliminate some hose.

Could you rotate it 90 degrees and place it more or less over the hinge? That way you wouldn't be lifting the water much and the outlet would still be pretty much over the shower enclosure. Would increase aerodynamic drag though

Thanks for the idea, Clinton. I got my fabricator guy to make an X shaped plate to mount the Road Shower to the perpendicular channels:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles