Introducing the “NEW” Alu-Cab Canopy Camper

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
Suspension upgrades are always a good idea when adding a camper IMO. Our go to for the Tacoma's is the EL096R springs which handle the canopy camper, awning+ shower and average gear without the need for air bags and rides great. Not shiny stuff, but from selling OME for 30 years we can testify they just outlast and perform almost anything else out there.

On the note of new shiny things, the long awaited Canopy Camper water tank prototypes are complete and being tested now.

ihc0IWg.jpg

lUcV0AG.jpg

JMeF2yL.jpg

Corvusvelo

Suspension upgrades are always a good idea when adding a camper IMO. Our go to for the Tacoma's is the EL096R springs which handle the canopy camper, awning+ shower and average gear without the need for air bags and rides great. Not shiny stuff, but from selling OME for 30 years we can testify they just outlast and perform almost anything else out there.

Thanks Rin. I swapped stock air bags for OME on an old Range Rover LWB Classic which was a massive improvement, so I'm already sold on their stuff. There are a lot of days where I miss that rig... :cry:

A few troubling things I can't ignore.
- pretty much everyone confirms you need to beef up the suspension when adding a canopy camper (on a Tacoma or other mid-size).
- Adding more weight from armor/slider/bumpers, and any build out only increases this need
- Everyone that has added a bunch of this weight and bumped up the tire size seems to give the "OMG! You need to spend another $3k-4k to swap gearing!"
- All this will still leave you in the low to mid teens for MPG. (AFAIK the Chevy Colorado is the only diesel option)
I had an old Comanchee with 33's and hated every minute of driving that sluggish bastard. I don't want to do that again

I can't help but wonder if the way to go is to simply start with a 1/2 ton from the beginning. Something that already has the powertrain and suspension designed to handle the load. I also saw earlier in this thread that Alu-cab might just offer one that size in the near future. Care to confirm this or provide any thoughts? I've had trucks in the past but the last 15 years I've used an SUV platform.

MuleShoer

Adventurer
If you just add the canopy to a half ton you would probably be fine staying stock. But if you add armor, front bumper, rear swing outs bumper, winches, larger wheels and tires, you more then likley will need to upgrade the suspension. tire sizing will drive your decision on gearing. I run 34” tires I have found on my recent tundra build, which has the 5.7 motor i am now changing gears, of course i used the rear air locker as my excuse lol.
For me the need to tow 60% of the time was really the driving requirement for a larger truck
Alu-Cab we need a full size solution!!!

rino

Thanks Rin. I swapped stock air bags for OME on an old Range Rover LWB Classic which was a massive improvement, so I'm already sold on their stuff. There are a lot of days where I miss that rig... :cry:

A few troubling things I can't ignore.
- pretty much everyone confirms you need to beef up the suspension when adding a canopy camper (on a Tacoma or other mid-size).
- Adding more weight from armor/slider/bumpers, and any build out only increases this need
- Everyone that has added a bunch of this weight and bumped up the tire size seems to give the "OMG! You need to spend another $3k-4k to swap gearing!"
- All this will still leave you in the low to mid teens for MPG. (AFAIK the Chevy Colorado is the only diesel option)
I had an old Comanchee with 33's and hated every minute of driving that sluggish bastard. I don't want to do that again

I can't help but wonder if the way to go is to simply start with a 1/2 ton from the beginning. Something that already has the powertrain and suspension designed to handle the load. I also saw earlier in this thread that Alu-cab might just offer one that size in the near future. Care to confirm this or provide any thoughts? I've had trucks in the past but the last 15 years I've used an SUV platform.

Ahh i know the feeling!

So the main benefit of a midsize IMO is simply to fit on trails where i'm located in the north east. My ZR-2 Bison is about maximum width and length that can be squeezed between trees. If i were to live in the south west i would realistically buy a camper for our Ram tray bed truck and take advantage of the extra payload and capacity.

Full size is totally on Alu-Cab's radar but we are literally struggling just to keep up with midsize campers throughout the global market. To introduce a new product that would only further push lead-times of our biggest sellers just is a lose lose for everyone at this time. With that when we get to the point of new camper development we will be all over the full size platforms.

On the note of new shiny things, the long awaited Canopy Camper water tank prototypes are complete and being tested now.

ihc0IWg.jpg

lUcV0AG.jpg

JMeF2yL.jpg
Hey Rin, Is this tank compatible with the Khaya as well? When I looked at a Canopy camper at Outbound several months back I was thinking the same thing for that spot. Would this fitment also vary on different trucks? Are those styles (filler panels?) removable for varied cab profiles? I am assuming the Khaya can be mounted with a little variation forward or back as it sits in the bed, being that there isn't a door frame that has to mate with the bed sides.

Yeah, I'm the guy with the Ranger

Thanks

lumis

ihc0IWg.jpg

lUcV0AG.jpg

JMeF2yL.jpg
gimme ?

lumis

For those of you that have had a canopy camper for a bit can you comment on whether you felt any changes are needed to the suspension. I know a few folks on here have taken some longer trips in theirs. I'm seeing a bonus is their low weight as compared to something like the Khaya or a FWC. Just wondering if the final weight with build out to be high enough to lead one to consider changes/upgrades.

When my camper went on I already hade ome hd dakar springs and that has been more than enough for me. I don't have any cabinetry in the back as of yet mainly storage boxes and fridge and water (no more than 10 gallons typically). I do have full underbody aluminum skids (yes aluminum is fine for what i do ), Steel sliders and no bumpers.

We typically travel on longer trips with me, my wife, girlfriend and dog. Sometimes a second spare depending because my tires can be a pain in the ass to find and don't want to have to sit around for days while on a trip to get them in, I learned that lesson already. going with a more common tire next time. My Tacoma is also not re-geared and that has not been a problem.

Anyway, with the ome leaf springs, I feel like that works well with a Tacoma. They are rated to carry an additional 600lbs continuous load so with the camper, shadow awn, etc. it all sits good

rino

Hey Rin, Is this tank compatible with the Khaya as well? When I looked at a Canopy camper at Outbound several months back I was thinking the same thing for that spot. Would this fitment also vary on different trucks? Are those styles (filler panels?) removable for varied cab profiles? I am assuming the Khaya can be mounted with a little variation forward or back as it sits in the bed, being that there isn't a door frame that has to mate with the bed sides.

Yeah, I'm the guy with the Ranger

Thanks

Hey! I do not think it will work on the Khaya as the flared cupboards make the width different then the Canopy Camper but i will be sure to check when it arrives. I personally recommend the Front Runner water tanks for guys with empty Khaya campers, just like Mountain State Overland built out in their truck.

I finally got mine and got to break it in "baja style".

The Amarok! Bummed i couldn't see this truck in person, just an FYI you are the only Amarok with Alu-Cab kitting in North America. :cool:

gnel

Thank you Rin for that bit of trivia. I´m honored to wear that crown:LOL:. I just finished cleaning the baja dust on the AluCab. I don´t know how often you get south or southwest but I plan on doing alot of trails now so we might cross paths one of these days?

rino

Thank you Rin for that bit of trivia. I´m honored to wear that crown:LOL:. I just finished cleaning the baja dust on the AluCab. I don´t know how often you get south or southwest but I plan on doing alot of trails now so we might cross paths one of these days?

Haha currently i'm a slave to the machine so getting away that long is tough, but hopefully in the near future! ? If we run into each other the beers are on me, thanks for the support and hope the camper treats you well.

Colby Jack

Traveler
Rin,
Do you have a drawing of dimensions for the Canopy Camper like you posted for the khaya? Wondering about how this would work with a flatbed and toolbox setup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles