Introducing the “NEW” Alu-Cab Canopy Camper

Clinton Morse

Hey Rin - I was admiring this setup and couldn't help but notice what looks like a Dickinson Marine wood burner in the rear passenger corner (very left side of image). Any scoop and more images on that?

Attachments

• Screenshot at 2019-10-12 07-14-50.png
    Screenshot at 2019-10-12 07-14-50.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 297

jmodz

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
I've been looking into the Go Fast Camper and just found this Alu Cab Canopy Camper - seems like (almost) exactly what I want/need. I currently have a Honda Element but seeking setup more rugged. So am looking to buy a truck with/and overland-type rig.
In this thread, it mentions the side door is much better than the tailgate. I had been thinking that I would prefer to remain with the tailgate. The main two reasons are is nice to drop the tailgate and have place to sit. And I am thinking of getting the Decked system. Also, I have a hitch-mounted bike rack which likely won't work with the side door.
Are there any options for the Alu Cab Canopy Camper to remain with a tailgate? I saw a photo somewhere of Alu Cab Canopy Camper and there was a tailgate - perhaps this was an older model? any available?

Other issue; I don't yet have a truck! I had been looking at used completely already outfitted overland trucks/rigs. But now, assuming I buy your product, I can be more modular and customize best for myself - and choose which truck to buy. I will purchase 6(+) bed. So I suppose due to your options, I will need to buy 6 ft (not 6+)? And truck options I have are those listed on your website, or would work with others? For 6 ft, your website only lists 2005+ Tacoma and 2018+ Ranger, but elsewhere I found a larger list of trucks? Of course Tacoma is the go-to default, which is good option. I'm also looking at Dodge Cummins Diesel. Hoping to get decent gas mileage, even after installation of camper (preferably 20(+), 15+ would maybe suffice).

I'm in Vegas; anyplace or anyone that I could visit to see one first-hand? and maybe to compare versus the GoFast?

thanks,
Judah

Judah,

Thanks for reaching out man and sorry i have not been on the forum lately, wicked busy this time of the year.

One of the main selling points of the Alu-Cab canopy camper is the rear door, most importantly for preventing dust from entering inside your camper. Imagine pulling the rear door seals out of the Element and driving hours or weeks down dusty roads. It is one of those things overlooked but appreciated by a someone who has gone without it.

We do not offer for full size trucks at this time. We have drawings, just waiting until we can catch up on what we are supplying now. Not in our interests to offer another offering but have lead times pushing towards a year until we could deliver.

Hope this helps man!

-Rin

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
Hey Rin - I was admiring this setup and couldn't help but notice what looks like a Dickinson Marine wood burner in the rear passenger corner (very left side of image). Any scoop and more images on that?

:cool: haha I may be going down the camper rabbit hole. Yes it is a Dickinson p9000 fireplace and custom double stack system built with stainless exhaust tubing, v-band clamp and header slip joints. Sailing meets race car mounted in a safari camper.

3zJuiDu.jpg

Once i get a few more bits done I will get some proper shots / video!

Clinton Morse

:cool: haha I may be going down the camper rabbit hole. Yes it is a Dickinson p9000 fireplace and custom double stack system built with stainless exhaust tubing, v-band clamp and header slip joints. Sailing meets race car mounted in a safari camper.

3zJuiDu.jpg

Once i get a few more bits done I will get some proper shots / video!
Pretty slick using exhaust components for that... I look forward to hearing more about it...

Judah,

Thanks for reaching out man and sorry i have not been on the forum lately, wicked busy this time of the year.

One of the main selling points of the Alu-Cab canopy camper is the rear door, most importantly for preventing dust from entering inside your camper. Imagine pulling the rear door seals out of the Element and driving hours or weeks down dusty roads. It is one of those things overlooked but appreciated by a someone who has gone without it.

We do not offer for full size trucks at this time. We have drawings, just waiting until we can catch up on what we are supplying now. Not in our interests to offer another offering but have lead times pushing towards a year until we could deliver.

Hope this helps man!

-Rin

Just finding this thread now, but a quick note to Rin from his October post, as a vote for the full-size truck version at some point...

Corvusvelo

For those of you that have had a canopy camper for a bit can you comment on whether you felt any changes are needed to the suspension. I know a few folks on here have taken some longer trips in theirs. I'm seeing a bonus is their low weight as compared to something like the Khaya or a FWC. Just wondering if the final weight with build out to be high enough to lead one to consider changes/upgrades.

Graton

For those of you that have had a canopy camper for a bit can you comment on whether you felt any changes are needed to the suspension. I know a few folks on here have taken some longer trips in theirs. I'm seeing a bonus is their low weight as compared to something like the Khaya or a FWC. Just wondering if the final weight with build out to be high enough to lead one to consider changes/upgrades.
I looked at a Canopy Alu-cab last Friday - to replace my AT habitat which is more 3-season, and I need something that is 4-season and easy to heat. Quality build and a bit heavier than my Habitat, which did require suspension upgrades - my tacoma was riding low with it. I went for add-a-leaf and also airbags for when I carry my motorcycle on the back. If you get the Canopy, expect to upgrade the suspension.

Corvusvelo

I looked at a Canopy Alu-cab last Friday - to replace my AT habitat which is more 3-season, and I need something that is 4-season and easy to heat. Quality build and a bit heavier than my Habitat, which did require suspension upgrades - my tacoma was riding low with it. I went for add-a-leaf and also airbags for when I carry my motorcycle on the back. If you get the Canopy, expect to upgrade the suspension.
Thanks Graton. Looks like you have the AC/LB Off-road I was thinking would be the perfect platform for this - maximize the camper space without too long of a wheelbase. I had the idea of adding a fan in the roof to reduce condensation and because we also have an adventure corgi. I haven't seen anyone do this with an Alu-cab but I have seen them installed on similar wedge tent campers so I can't imagine it would be a problem. I'd probably do a somewhat modular build out for power/water/and cooking.

@Corvusvelo - plan on adding at least an add a leaf- but i also added airbags and upgraded to 10ply tires. While the shell comes in at less than 450 per alucab- add in the 100 lbs for the awning, and anytype of interior build and you will be pushing weight. can see pics of my rig and setup above or over at taco world. My truck "dry" meaning no gear or water other then the base camping gear weighs in at 5440 lbs - which means technically i am able to carry an additional 300 lbs- add myself and wife and we are over GVWR without any toys. So yes expect to upgrade suspension and expect to see your gas mileage suffer by 1-2 mpg. I averaged 13mpg on my western trip but that was fully loaded with full kayak gear for 4 and mtn bikes- according to the scales- I was 6500 lbs on that trip- once i aired the lifts to 95lbs could not really tell driving wise.IMG_1593_LI.jpg

Last edited:

Corvusvelo

Thanks for sharing your experience Flyguy. I'm trying to get a sense of realistic costs and needs. Vehicle + Canopy Camper + whatever upgrades are needed to suspension. I'd plan to build out with about 53L of water and mostly storage inside, but include a cooking setup and power. The build can happen over time but I'd probably want to get the suspension right from the beginning to understanding the weight impact really helps.

I'm guessing those kayaks made a pretty big dent in your MPG.

suprisingly the boats dont hurt it that bad- it is more the weight i think and the fairing restored over 2 miles to the gallon so i consider that mandatory. I usually carry about 12 gallons of water so thats similiar. would really suggest head over to my link above to get a better idea of my build out both for that trip and my new one (weight is based on the new build and new front bumper- but bumper is aluminum as well and only 70 lbs) as for costs figure more then you expect if you want comforts. I lived out of it for a month exclusivily self supported, i run a dometic fridge, a cpap machine, fan, and lighting as well as water pump off a 100 amp hr agm battery that is linked to solar and alternator with a ctek smart charger so i stay comfy but those comforts can get pricy. as for suspension upgrade consider it mandatory and was not bad i think the add aleafs were $100 did those when truck was new (orinally had a wildernest on it) and the airbags were this yr when got a new frame (recall) and they were less than $200 i think

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles