Introducing the “NEW” Alu-Cab Canopy Camper

JP-ADV

I'm sold on Alu-Cab quality and designs and I'm deciding between the Khaya and the Canopy Camper. Although ideally, I'd like the Khaya, after all the extra costs it doesn't seem to be nearly as good of a value as the canopy camper, so I'm leaning toward the canopy.

I have some questions I hope you can answer when you have spare time.

- Does the seal truly seal out dust and water effectively or are there some minor leaks?
- Once installed, can I remove it easily if I need to have an open truck bed and if so, does this cause issues with the seal when re-installing?
- Aside from the optional Molle mounts, are there other hardmounts for other accessories I might want to fabricate and/or structural mounts for either jacks or lift points for storing the canopy?
- Will a 3rd-party swing-out tire carrier work with the canopy?
- Can extra padding or a thicker mattress be added to the bed platform or will that prevent it from closing?
- I'm in Utah and a round-trip to New Jersey to have it installed won't work with my work schedule and would be expensive. What other options do I have and are there any distributors nearer to me?

Thanks!!!

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
I'm sold on Alu-Cab quality and designs and I'm deciding between the Khaya and the Canopy Camper. Although ideally, I'd like the Khaya, after all the extra costs it doesn't seem to be nearly as good of a value as the canopy camper, so I'm leaning toward the canopy.

I have some questions I hope you can answer when you have spare time.

- Does the seal truly seal out dust and water effectively or are there some minor leaks?
- Once installed, can I remove it easily if I need to have an open truck bed and if so, does this cause issues with the seal when re-installing?
- Aside from the optional Molle mounts, are there other hardmounts for other accessories I might want to fabricate and/or structural mounts for either jacks or lift points for storing the canopy?
- Can extra padding or a thicker mattress be added to the bed platform or will that prevent it from closing?
- I'm in Utah and a round-trip to New Jersey to have it installed won't work with my work schedule and would be expensive. What other options do I have and are there any distributors nearer to me?

Thanks!!!

The canopy camper can be removed, but to make a proper seal ribbon sealer or sikaflex must be used (think of removing the roof or glass out of your car). It can totally be done and jack mounts can easily be made for the extrusion skeleton, but you will have a fair bit of time removing, cleaning, installing and sealing every time.

If pulling the camper when not in use is your goal, the Khaya camper will be the way to go. It has jack mounts already installed and installing and removing is as simple as loosening 4 nyloc nuts. Also you can keep all your gear right in the camper when not in use and have a totally stock truck bed in 30 minutes tops.

For your other questions, answers below:

Yes, the rear door on the Canopy Camper does not extend past a normal tailgate.
IsABeDw.jpg

- Can extra padding or a thicker mattress be added to the bed platform or will that prevent it from closing? The standard mattress is 3" and you have 3" of space above that so depending on bedding you could add a topper.
- I'm in Utah and a round-trip to New Jersey to have it installed won't work with my work schedule and would be expensive. What other options do I have and are there any distributors nearer to me? As much as we would love to have you at the shop, I understand haha. Depending on where in Utah you want to give a shout to TAV LLC in ABQ or Juniper Overland in Denver.

Hope this helps and LMK what questions you have.

JP-ADV

Rino, thanks for the reply and all the info. I'm leaning more toward the Khaya now so I can easily remove it. What are the build times on the Canopy Camper and the Khaya Camper? How does the ordering process work -- do you take a deposit to start the order or payment in full?

I'm also on the fence about the canopy and a couple of options and wondering if I order either camper without it, can I order extra features later and install myself into existing bolt holes and attachment points or must all these types of options (e.g. the slide-out table/shower curtain rod, Molle plates, side table, loadbar/rack, appliances) be built in at the factory? thanks again

The canopy camper can be removed, but to make a proper seal ribbon sealer or sikaflex must be used (think of removing the roof or glass out of your car). It can totally be done and jack mounts can easily be made for the extrusion skeleton, but you will have a fair bit of time removing, cleaning, installing and sealing every time.

If pulling the camper when not in use is your goal, the Khaya camper will be the way to go. It has jack mounts already installed and installing and removing is as simple as loosening 4 nyloc nuts. Also you can keep all your gear right in the camper when not in use and have a totally stock truck bed in 30 minutes tops.

For your other questions, answers below:

Yes, the rear door on the Canopy Camper does not extend past a normal tailgate.
IsABeDw.jpg

- Can extra padding or a thicker mattress be added to the bed platform or will that prevent it from closing? The standard mattress is 3" and you have 3" of space above that so depending on bedding you could add a topper.
- I'm in Utah and a round-trip to New Jersey to have it installed won't work with my work schedule and would be expensive. What other options do I have and are there any distributors nearer to me? As much as we would love to have you at the shop, I understand haha. Depending on where in Utah you want to give a shout to TAV LLC in ABQ or Juniper Overland in Denver.

Hope this helps and LMK what questions you have.

Can I ask about the rear bumper option you have on this Tacoma? It has everything I am looking for, spare tire, cans, propane tank, etc. Who sells this?

thanks!

rino

Rino, thanks for the reply and all the info. I'm leaning more toward the Khaya now so I can easily remove it. What are the build times on the Canopy Camper and the Khaya Camper? How does the ordering process work -- do you take a deposit to start the order or payment in full?

I'm also on the fence about the canopy and a couple of options and wondering if I order either camper without it, can I order extra features later and install myself into existing bolt holes and attachment points or must all these types of options (e.g. the slide-out table/shower curtain rod, Molle plates, side table, loadbar/rack, appliances) be built in at the factory? thanks again

No worries man, here to help! So canopy campers we have some available stock coming every 3 weeks (mostly weekender and prime spec), custom orders for Khaya and Canopy Campers is 10-12 weeks and all campers are a 50% deposit.

Everything Alu-Cab is modular and the extrusion frames allow 99% of the accessories to be bolt-ons. The big things that you may not want to tackle depending on mechanical ability and free time are the electrical packages, heaters and plumbing stuff. It can be done, but may require some tools and time.

alexplb

so the tire carrier fits up to 33" size tire.... is it limited do to weight or size of the tire? I was planing on running 35s on tacoma..not that much of a weigh difference between the two sizes so begs the questions. Also since it's mounted right on the door are the hinges/door reinforced for the carrier or how does it work, I can only imagine if one parked at a slight slope getting in and out with all that weight on the door might be no fun also with time hinges may sag having the weight ... more info about that would be nice to have.

lumis

so the tire carrier fits up to 33" size tire.... is it limited do to weight or size of the tire? I was planing on running 35s on tacoma..not that much of a weigh difference between the two sizes so begs the questions. Also since it's mounted right on the door are the hinges/door reinforced for the carrier or how does it work, I can only imagine if one parked at a slight slope getting in and out with all that weight on the door might be no fun also with time hinges may sag having the weight ... more info about that would be nice to have.

The back door is on pretty strong hydraulics and pushes itself open when you undo the latch. I have opened mine on a slope with no problems. I have 33 spare on mine and it looks like it could go a tad bigger (see photo) but if you have the side molle panels anything bigger than a 33 would definitely interfere with the door opening 100% but there is a strap inside so you can limit how far the hydraulics push the door open. I think the real size issue with a bigger tire maybe the latching bar side you got about 1.5 inches
58c70dc9-e2a3-4ef4-865c-8a86f6cc149c.jpgD0D8B558-82A8-43CD-A598-154C60E89C18.jpeg5A4F8B40-D3E8-4438-8D4F-950443FFDA02.jpeg6414FB5A-371C-417F-B9E6-3AA348F13F29.jpegA0541D51-6307-48C8-8844-E1A4C1B66AA7.jpeg

58c70dc9-e2a3-4ef4-865c-8a86f6cc149c.jpg

Keyne

Adventurer
It looks like here is still room to use a bumper tire mount instead of he door mount, or does the camper extend so a swing style bumper wouldn’t fit?

Whoops never mind I see the pic above with the swing out bumper. LOL

Last edited:

rino

looks like CBI product but i could be way wrong :)

You are right on!

Weight is definitely a big factor, we could create a door that could handle a 35" tire but it would increase camper weight along with costing where the majority of folks will be 33">. I would suggest a CBI rear bar with carrier if 35" tires are in your plans.

The door has a gas strut and limiting strap to keep it from closing even on inclines. :)

how can I use pop up canopy in a truck?

We have been quite successful placing them in the bed of the truck. :p

The back door is on pretty strong hydraulics and pushes itself open when you undo the latch. I have opened mine on a slope with no problems. I have 33 spare on mine and it looks like it could go a tad bigger (see photo) but if you have the side molle panels anything bigger than a 33 would definitely interfere with the door opening 100% but there is a strap inside so you can limit how far the hydraulics push the door open. I think the real size issue with a bigger tire maybe the latching bar side you got about 1.5 inches
View attachment 501190View attachment 501202View attachment 501203View attachment 501204View attachment 501205

View attachment 501190

Size-wise yes but the total weight will be pushing it! How's your camper treating you BTW?

rino

After way too long I finally have some "good" pictures to share and help highlight some features of the Canopy Camper! (y) This example is a 6' model in silver fitted to a AC/LB 3rd Gen Tacoma.

First things first, fitment. When we set out to design the Canopy Camper we wanted a product that covered the global mid-size truck market and could be fitted on multiple models. This not only simplifies the build process, reducing build times but if you decide to upgrade your truck in the future you can bring your camper along! We took CAD scans of the most popular 11 truck beds and created a size that complimented them all and through the use of filler panels fit them like a glove! Each truck features a fully bolt in design that requires no drilling or modifications of your truck's load bin.

e4B6kCx.jpg

25fdCkG.jpg

3D59YM7.jpg

jhfhMUs.jpg

While you might not be able to stop staring at your newly canopy camper equipped rig (or snapping IG shots) it is important to not forget the part where you spend a third of your life, The Bed. :sleep:The Canopy Camper is fitted with the same massive 100" long and 54" wide two part bed platform as our flagship Khaya Camper. This 70/30 platform allows you to keep your bedding not only in the camper but in place while you raise the bed platform for inside living. Along with keeping your bedding in place this allows for couples to enter or leave the platform without the need for the other to get out of bed. (midnight callings) Lastly it is topped with a 75mm (3") foam mattress with removable zippered covers.

8sZ5QWF.jpg

9hO5NQ7.jpg

sMhwrkL.jpg

When the time comes to load up for a trip or a quick stop to grab some gear on the side of the trail, unobstructed Gull Wing Doors make reaching any corner of your camper a breeze... or if your set up at camp and enjoying some time in your camper they can even let in some breeze. All with the turn of a key and/or the push of a button!

Ux7VfoB.jpg

OCh9ghB.jpg

While on the topic of doors, it is hard not to mention our industry first Swing Rear Door. While the main reason was to provide a true dust proof seal for the camper simply not achievable with a tailgate, the other obvious benefit is ease of entry. How much you ask? Try removing your tailgate and enter your truck bed stepping on your bumper. (crazy right?) Even more this layout allows additional storage of gear and even a spare wheel and tire right on your camper.

wsVxSgY.jpg

f0luVCv.jpg

While a simple concept, execution had our engineers on a long journey to find the right latching mechanism that could handle the rigors off the bush and provide a lockable door from the inside and outside. Inspired from sea containers we constructed a tig-welded stainless steel lever that securely latches the door at both top and bottom and can be padlocked in the open or closed position. Inside we fixed two simple latches to provide extra security when you wish to lock the camper from the inside. (questionable stealth camping locations)

l0SRJwE.jpg

hYTMHZx.jpg

qI7OC3h.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles