Introducing the “NEW” Alu-Cab Canopy Camper

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
While our newest Canopy Camper may be the first available to the consumer market, the design is far from just an overnight success… With over a decade of experience building canopy style campers for the harshest conditions of Africa, we know not only how to build a product that can stand the test of time but one that also fits the needs of even the most demanding overlander.

8DdFXZP.jpg

It is hard to argue that there is a better way to find a product’s short comings than a 4x4 rental fleet in the bush of Africa. (think of what you may or may not have done to a poor rental in just a paved parking lot) Working with some of the best in the industry such as AVIS, we have had the opportunity to innovate and improve our designs to handle anything that can be thrown at them while providing unmatched comfort and optimization of space with minimal weight.

Taking what we have learned from more recent projects such as the Ossewa and Khaya, we set out to create a completely new Canopy Camper from the ground up. Staring with a proprietary aluminum extrusion we tig weld a complete space frame which offers unmatched strength allowing clever design elements such as unobstructed side hatch doors. This same extrusion also utilizes three T-slots allowing for endless mounting possibilities for accessories by the end user.

Lga8Ds6m.jpg
X8XLX5wm.jpg
XXcYTRRm.jpg

Above this aluminum space frame we have utilized our proven Khaya tent design featuring two layers of 400 gram UV-resistant rib-lock canvas and a cavernous 100” x 54” two piece elevating bed section. Up on the roof of the camper integrated aluminum aircraft channels come standard for mounting load bars, roof racks and solar panels of your choice and with the available solar pre-wiring install is as easy as just plugging them in.

One of the biggest lessons learned on our past campers is simply a vehicle tailgate just does not seal. If you want a dust free and dry environment you must create a proper rear door utilizing a sealing surface. The other benefit of a full size swing door is the increased ease of entry and exit, gone are the days of crawling over your tailgate and figuring out how to close it. Our lever lock design allows the camper to be locked from the outside or inside when extra security is needed. Lastly this addition offers a safe place for fuel and propane storage and even the provisions for carrying a full size spare wheel and tire assembly.

Currently fitments include 5’ and 6’ models for 2005 - Current Toyota Tacoma, 2015 – Current Chevrolet Colorado & 2018+ Ford Ranger. For pricing, options and more information please visit https://ok4wd.com/brands/alucab/alu-cab-canopy-camper-base-model or your local Alu-Cab Dealer.

W9kIPJS.jpg

uLpXHNL.jpg

W3MwAQk.jpg

rLx1v44.jpg

rino

I love the design. It looks rugged and durable. I also can really appreciate ditching the tailgate.

No mention of actual weight though. That would be an important figure.

Sorry about that! The 5' bed model base unit is 385lbs and the 6' bed model 415lbs.

The full swing rear door is a total game changer, one of those things that once you use it you truly realize the difference.

Any chance of some interior photos please? I did visit the link and all photos were external. Thank you, I would love to see the inside room, etc.

rino

I'm really looking forward to seeing an install on a JT.

My JKUR is on the chopping block this winter for a JTR just for this reason! :cool:

do you sell the tractable

Yes we just started carrying the Traxtable itself for $395 or the complete kits for our canopies and campers are $795.

Any chance of some interior photos please? I did visit the link and all photos were external. Thank you, I would love to see the inside room, etc.

We are lacking proper shots big time and I apologize! The two prototypes we had at Overland Expo East arrived days before the show and after the show we visited Alu-Cab HQ so we have had no time to get good shots. I promise some in the coming month as we are fitting a whole bunch of campers at the shop. In the meantime there is a quick video our European distributor has thrown together

My JKUR is on the chopping block this winter for a JTR just for this reason! :cool:

Yes we just started carrying the Traxtable itself for $395 or the complete kits for our canopies and campers are $795.

We are lacking proper shots big time and I apologize! The two prototypes we had at Overland Expo East arrived days before the show and after the show we visited Alu-Cab HQ so we have had no time to get good shots. I promise some in the coming month as we are fitting a whole bunch of campers at the shop. In the meantime there is a quick video our European distributor has thrown together

Thank you very much I am looking forward to those inside shots. I have watched that video before also, and watched it again last night.

Will this be on display at expo west next year? Also, any chance this would fit a new Honda Ridgeline? The video makes it sound like it fits almost anything and is not truck specific.

Thank you!

rino

Thank you very much I am looking forward to those inside shots. I have watched that video before also, and watched it again last night.

Will this be on display at expo west next year? Also, any chance this would fit a new Honda Ridgeline? The video makes it sound like it fits almost anything and is not truck specific.

Thank you!

Absolutely, I'm hoping to have two in our booth next year. One fully kitted and the other just a base unit.

The camper itself is designed to be a single unit covering multiple platforms, but each truck receives its own engineered fitment kit for the rear door section and mounting brackets. The Ridgeline honestly was not on my radar, but i can request the CAD data and see if it can be done if you are interested!

Something I noticed right away and like are the vertical sides.

Yes, they not only offer increased interior space, but also a 54" wide sleeping platform and mattress. :)

dman93

Adventurer
Any info on how wide the rear door is? I’m not actually interested in the opening, but how far it swings to the rear of the truck. We have a hitch mount bike rack that can be tipped down, and in that position the Tacoma tailgate can be lowered fully with a few inches clearance to the closest back. If the bottom of this rear door is about the same height as the top of the tailgate, it seems like the door could open enough to allow fairly easy entry and exit, though not a full 90° opening.

Clinton Morse

My notes from looking at the demo model at OK4WD in November say 36" wide and 40.5" high on the rear door of the canopy camper. Since I have a long bed, I'm planning on putting the bikes (2) in the camper when not actually camping since most gear will be readily accessible via the side doors. I decided our hitchmount bike rack wasn't going to play nice with the door, plus using our rack entails me removing top tube packs from the bike which is a pain in itself.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles