Introducing the “NEW” Alu-Cab Canopy Camper

LunarErik

I definitely have to agree what you are both saying in regard to the 80/20. I am always trying to encourage people to do their own build. It's so easy to work with once you start playing with it and you don't need a ton of tools either. Being able to build it out exactly how you want is not only budget friendly, but you can do something way more space efficient than something like GG b/c everyone has different needs. I built half of mine to start and then after using the camper for a season decided how to "finish it". We used the new layout for a 3 week trip all over New England in Sept and still very happy with it, but if you want to change things, it's really easy to do it b/c its very easy to take apart & repurpose the extrusions. I have kept OCD level records of my build from start to finish & to date spent $1140 on what you see below. That's everything, wood, paint, 80/20, whatever it took to build those modules. They also can be removed & reinstalled with little fuss if you need to work on something. I have done that a couple times already due to poor planning.. ha ha.

Planning for the side or end panels (non opening stuff) can be the hardest part b/c you have to really determine what connectors you are using, etc. They make some slick panel mounting hardware, but it gets real pricey, so I mostly went with panels nested inside the groove using 3/16" birch plywood and coated in bed liner. I have seen folks use carpet as well in that same manner.

Very nice build! I am totally on board with the OCD record keeping lol. Thank you for sharing, I love seeing unique builds in that they really get the gears turning and the ideas flowing.

MR E30

So, it's funny this is a current topic of discussion on here, b/c I actually was searching on the topic of insulation, ideas etc. and frankly whether doing so is even worth it at all if you don't plan on living out of it or camping during the coldest months of the year. I watched those Xoverland guys outfit two of their trucks with Canopy Campers and nice Webasto gas heaters without a second thought (so it seems) to insulating anything at all. Without an insulation package for the tent, I just am starting to feel like it isn't worth the the time and money. The only other area than the tent that we have had condensation build up on (from just our body heat + what the fridge is throwing off) is on the wire channels, which are really the only concerning thermal bridges in the overall design, so I could see possibly wanting to stuff them with some sort of insulation.

That's my thought as well.

I really like the way the ACCC looks right off of the bat, so I didn't want to change the interior feel/look with some foam panels to try to keep the heat in.

I just bought a Dickinson furnace instead. It makes a lot more sense to me to have a way to make a bit of heat than to try to lock my body heat inside.

And in my experience, with the lady and I, even 40 degrees at night is warm enough for the two of us to sleep in the nude, with just a cheaper blanket covering us. Even in the 20's we just use a higher quality down blanket over a comfortable fleece blanket. It's rarely cold enough in there for us to worry. (This is all before the furnace was installed fyi.)

Very nice build! I am totally on board with the OCD record keeping lol. Thank you for sharing, I love seeing unique builds in that they really get the gears turning and the ideas flowing.
That's my thought as well.

I really like the way the ACCC looks right off of the bat, so I didn't want to change the interior feel/look with some foam panels to try to keep the heat in.

I just bought a Dickinson furnace instead. It makes a lot more sense to me to have a way to make a bit of heat than to try to lock my body heat inside.

And in my experience, with the lady and I, even 40 degrees at night is warm enough for the two of us to sleep in the nude, with just a cheaper blanket covering us. Even in the 20's we just use a higher quality down blanket over a comfortable fleece blanket. It's rarely cold enough in there for us to worry. (This is all before the furnace was installed fyi.)

Thank you! I love seeing every custom build as well. So many ways to go with this camper design & make it your own.

That's been my experience so far as well. We have had some damp 40s on that recent trip back east and a couple nights in mid to high 30s here in CO and never had an issue without a heater, so I think adding one would basically fool proof the concern of being too cold.

Good luck with continued build!

Stevieb.o.g

I definitely have to agree what you are both saying in regard to the 80/20. I am always trying to encourage people to do their own build. It's so easy to work with once you start playing with it and you don't need a ton of tools either. Being able to build it out exactly how you want is not only budget friendly, but you can do something way more space efficient than something like GG b/c everyone has different needs. I built half of mine to start and then after using the camper for a season decided how to "finish it". We used the new layout for a 3 week trip all over New England in Sept and still very happy with it, but if you want to change things, it's really easy to do it b/c its very easy to take apart & repurpose the extrusions. I have kept OCD level records of my build from start to finish & to date spent $1140 on what you see below. That's everything, wood, paint, 80/20, whatever it took to build those modules. They also can be removed & reinstalled with little fuss if you need to work on something. I have done that a couple times already due to poor planning.. ha ha.

Planning for the side or end panels (non opening stuff) can be the hardest part b/c you have to really determine what connectors you are using, etc. They make some slick panel mounting hardware, but it gets real pricey, so I mostly went with panels nested inside the groove using 3/16" birch plywood and coated in bed liner. I have seen folks use carpet as well in that same manner.

View attachment 749128View attachment 749129
I’d like to see more pictures of your build. I’m planning something very similar.
also wondering what you did for a base plate?

I’d like to see more pictures of your build. I’m planning something very similar.
also wondering what you did for a base plate?

Thanks! So, I have a lot of details on the drawer module & utility module (and the base plate for that matter) at the link below

My base plate is 1/2" birch plywood, coated with a heavy duty bed liner. I started by using the bed bolts to hold it down, but now I have split it in two pcs and thru bolted it with it's own bolts. I originally had a different camper on order and it became necessary to go from one pc to two pc with the Alu-cab door clearances b/c I wanted it to be very easy/modular to take in/out if it was required. I have used tee-nuts (hammer in style) placed where needed on the base plate to hold things down.

The passenger side storage was more recently built and there are more pics of that on my Instagram (@tacomarado) b/c I never got back to updating my build thread with any of that unfortunately. It has all worked out really well for me. Just let me know if you have any questions. I never tire talking about it.. ha ha ha

Stevieb.o.g

Thanks! So, I have a lot of details on the drawer module & utility module (and the base plate for that matter) at the link below

My base plate is 1/2" birch plywood, coated with a heavy duty bed liner. I started by using the bed bolts to hold it down, but now I have split it in two pcs and thru bolted it with it's own bolts. I originally had a different camper on order and it became necessary to go from one pc to two pc with the Alu-cab door clearances b/c I wanted it to be very easy/modular to take in/out if it was required. I have used tee-nuts (hammer in style) placed where needed on the base plate to hold things down.

The passenger side storage was more recently built and there are more pics of that on my Instagram (@tacomarado) b/c I never got back to updating my build thread with any of that unfortunately. It has all worked out really well for me. Just let me know if you have any questions. I never tire talking about it.. ha ha ha
Very cool build tread! Only had time to read a few pages but already have some ideas I might steal;). Oh and I was on the wait list for a drifter and bailed. So glad I got a ACCC!!!

Very cool build tread! Only had time to read a few pages but already have some ideas I might steal;). Oh and I was on the wait list for a drifter and bailed. So glad I got a ACCC!!!

Thanks! I really need to update that, but kind of switched over to doing it on IG. Yep, same here. Selling that spot in line was so worth it. No regrets.

ccperkdog

Question for those of you who upgraded to the HEST mattress, any long term review/feedback? Also what size did you go with for the Canopy Camper, Dually Long?

Flyelk1

Love mine. You are correct. Dually Long for mine but I have the Alu-Cabin. I was originally worried about temp changes to colder weather. No change in firmness of it at all. One of the best upgrades I have done to my set up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles