Introducing the “NEW” Alu-Cab Canopy Camper

colbs

Question for the group: what are people doing for fridge solutions besides in the front of the truck bed? Long ways to reach for a camp beer.

I just completed my cabinet build, which I'll post soon, but for now here is a pic of where I ended up placing the fridge. I wanted to have access from the rear hatch. Probably not the best for weight distribution but I was willing to accept that. I do have access via side hatch but it's a bit of a stretch.

Attachments

• E2694E1A-988B-4DC2-BA60-508810BD24C7_1_105_c.jpeg
    E2694E1A-988B-4DC2-BA60-508810BD24C7_1_105_c.jpeg
    251.6 KB · Views: 284
Question for the group: what are people doing for fridge solutions besides in the front of the truck bed? Long ways to reach for a camp beer.

I have mine stationed similar to @colbs, just inside the door on the passenger side instead of driver. As you said, I just like to easily be able to get in & out of it through the side door, especially while we are on the road. That's the only reason I didn't go with front & center placement like many do.

Colby Jack

Traveler
I just completed my cabinet build, which I'll post soon, but for now here is a pic of where I ended up placing the fridge. I wanted to have access from the rear hatch. Probably not the best for weight distribution but I was willing to accept that. I do have access via side hatch but it's a bit of a stretch.

Looks amazing. Please post more and more and more pics!!! Would love to see view from rear of the truck. I really would prefer to keep my walkway as clear as possible.

Colby Jack

Traveler
I have mine stationed similar to @colbs, just inside the door on the passenger side instead of driver. As you said, I just like to easily be able to get in & out of it through the side door, especially while we are on the road. That's the only reason I didn't go with front & center placement like many do.

That’s awesome. Able to throw a pic or 12 up for review?

timsuchocki

I thought about this as well. What truck do you own? Did you take out the entire rear? Split? Pics???

@Colby Jack , I have a 2017 Tacoma. I took out the entire rear seat, but not the plastic part behind the seat. In the Tacoma, the rear seat tilts forward and I used the brackets from that to mount a piece of plywood. I covered that in cheap sitck-on carpet from Lowes. Hopefully my pic is attached to this post. The fridge is an Iceco VL60 and the slide is the Iceco one matched to that fridge.

I ran power from the fuse panel in the camper down through one of the drain holes in the Tacoma bed (I had to enlarge it a bit) and then up through one of the holes left by removing the bolts from the back set.

I followed the video that a guy named "Traveling by Tacoma" made on his YouTube channel on how to remove the seat and install the board. This should be the link:

IMG_0567.jpegIMG_0412.jpeg

Last edited:

Colby Jack

Traveler
@Colby Jack , I have a 2017 Tacoma. I took out the entire rear seat, but not the plastic part behind the seat. In the Tacoma, the rear seat tilts forward and I used the brackets from that to mount a piece of plywood. I covered that in cheap sitck-on carpet from Lowes. Hopefully my pic is attached to this post. The fridge is an Iceco VL60 and the slide is the Iceco one matched to that fridge.

I ran power from the fuse panel in the camper down through one of the drain holes in the Tacoma bed (I had to enlarge it a bit) and then up through one of the holes left by removing the bolts from the back set.

I followed the video that a guy named "Traveling by Tacoma" made on his YouTube channel on how to remove the seat and install the board. This should be the link:

View attachment 686931View attachment 686932

Pics showed up great! Looks like a very effective solution!

Last edited:

seekoutbeauty

@rino and I have camped together (in our own vehicles) above 12k feet and used the heater without issue.
There really isn't a better option out there.
0 Carbon-monoxide, the downside of propane (Moisture) is 100% mitigated by the design of the double wall pipe and it's incredibly efficient.
No maintenance, just cozy nights.

For those of you with the Dickinson heater, have you had it at high altitudes (above 8k feet)? If so - how has it performed?

rvrboy

Very nice!

rvrboy

@rino and I have camped together (in our own vehicles) above 12k feet and used the heater without issue.
There really isn't a better option out there.
0 Carbon-monoxide, the downside of propane (Moisture) is 100% mitigated by the design of the double wall pipe and it's incredibly efficient.
No maintenance, just cozy nights.

Same used mine over 9K feet and can report the same warm and cozy, no moisture issues and 0 carbon monoxide

seatoskyexplorer

I haven’t gotten the blog post up yet but here are my measurements that I used for the board.

-For the two leads Coming from the 8 switch panel I used 10 gauge wire
-For the solar charge controller I used 10 gauge wire
-For the usbs and 12v outlet I wired them together with 14 gauge wire
-For the temp sensor I wired it separately because blue sea says it needs a 2a in-line fuse and I used 16 gauge wire
-The wire running from the shunt to the negative bus bar is 4 gauge wire with a 1/4 terminal on one end and 3/8 termI always on the other

Hope this helps a little!
What are the dimensions of the panel itself?

colbs

For those of you with the Dickinson heater, have you had it at high altitudes (above 8k feet)? If so - how has it performed?

I live in Colorado and have used it regularly at high altitudes, even above 10,000 feet.

I did have one scare and it was on my most recent trip which was high altitude just over 10k. Take this with the caveat that it is not hooked up to electricity yet and therefore is not running with the fan. Had the camper fully zipped up and closed. Went to sleep. About 4 hours in, the carbon monoxide detector went off. It said 74 parts per million. Not deadly, but definitely not safe and I assume it would have continued to rise. I turned everything off and vented the camper. I used it again the next night with the camper window slightly vented and the detector never read above 0.

I have noticed I need to clean the window of the heater somewhat regularly due to carbon build-up. I installed this myself so I could have made a mistake but then again, it had never been an issue before. I've probably had it running a total of 20 nights or more. Not sure what is going on and I am a bit gun shy with it now. Definitely going to vent until I can experiment by just letting it run when I'm not in it.

I think I'll be able to debug the issue. It is 100% worth it though. I love it and it makes the camper very comfortable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior