Introducing the “NEW” Alu-Cab Canopy Camper

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
I tested out my Dickinson stove earlier this week when it dropped to -4F overnight. I'd used it before in the upper teens/lower 20's and it was cozy running on low with the fan at about half. At below zero it held a steady temp in the low to mid 30's all night, running on hi with the fan on full. Unfroze my water & I was comfortable wearing a down jacket, pants and booties, Agree a recirculate fan and some insulation would go a long way. I slept cozy keeping the down clothes on to extend the range of my WM 20 degree down bag.

I bought the Dickinson to extend 3 season camping and did this as an extreme temp test (for me). I was surprised it worked as well as it did and virtually zero condensation. I did get some frost build up on the rear camper door cross members.

For reference my ACC is on a long bed access cab Tacoma so my camper has a bit more volume to heat. I also have a full bed rug, the Alu- Cab drop side panel curtains, and some insulated molle panels on the front bulkhead and rear camper door. Looking to add some additional insulation and some reflectix panels for the tent windows.

Thanks for giving a complete rundown of both the heat and insulation in your example.

I have eyed the ACCC, but one of my concerns in general is the thermal transfer from the aluminum. Not just cold, but in my case also heat. In the desert southwest, anything metal left in the sun can easily get too hot to touch safely without gloves, so I'm a little nervous about the whole camper becoming a giant oven...

colbs

Just did my first trip with camper and I'm stoked on it. I spent several mornings of my trip just fielding questions from people about it - it's definitely a conversation starter. Was in a variety of climates (California, Colorado and Utah). Some notes and observations...

Dickinson furnace
  • Mine isn't hooked up to electric yet so I ran on low propane pressure and was comfortable when external temps were in the upper 20s outside. Don't have have internal thermometer so I'm not sure what internal temp was. I think temps could have been lower and it would have been fine. Obviously, upper portion of the camper gets much warmer than lower.
  • Without the fan, I did have some carbon buildup (I guess) on the glass of the furnace. Easy to wipe off.
  • One thing I struggled with was the furnace going out occasionally. I believe if the wind hits that chimney just right, it can happen. My last night it happened 4 times and I just gave up. Need to find a solution and I would like to hear others experiences. On all other nights, didn't struggle with this and it was great. The furnace is a solid install/buy - 10/10 would do it again.
  • At first I was worried about the ambient heat of the chimney damaging the awning or tent hood, but I had zero issue with that. Definitely checked a lot my first night.
Slide in table
  • Absolutely love the idea and overall I would buy it again. However, the edges of the aluminum are raw and it feels unfinished. I am going to go back and sand those down. Combined with the uber powerful struts and the possibility that they can just explode (not hyperbole) open, I started wearing gloves just to handle it. Given the quality of every other thing on the camper I was surprised by this. Not a huge deal, I suppose.
  • Feels flimsy but I guess that's the cost of lightweight.
  • The mount is dialed, they even lined the slides with carpet
Exped Mattress
  • I threw in the exped mega mat and am happy about it. It's spendy, but it's very comfortable and adds to the warmth.
  • I leave blankets on it and I am able to close the camper easily if I deflate. Have to store pillows elsewhere. I removed the cushion on the rear and they fit perfectly there. Inflating and deflating doesn't take much time so I don't find it to be a hassle.
Awning
  • The awning is incredible. Because it is soooo easy to deploy and put back, I deployed it all the time.
  • Felt like a dummy first time I put it back, but leave the velcro straps hanging from the top. The first time I had them attached on the bottom and then was trying with all my might to get them looped through the top. Then it hit me what I was doing wrong. After I get them in, I always go back and tighten the middle one, which makes it even easier to zip up.
General
  • The rear platform is the perfect height for a standing desk (for me at least).
  • Two front runner wolf packs stacked on top of each other fit perfectly under the overhang of the bulkhead in my tacoma. So does their jerry can. r/oddlysatsifying.
  • Swing out doors have various places to attach things. I added some bungie as quick solution to hang things for quick access.
  • These cargo nets are velcro and stick to the underside of the platform well. They aren't huge but fit perfectly in between the frame supports of the platform. I used them to stash commonly used stuff.

Attachments

• IMG_1741.jpeg
    IMG_1741.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 141
  • IMG_2196.jpeg
    IMG_2196.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 142
  • IMG_1744.jpg
    IMG_1744.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 148
  • IMG_1775.jpg
    IMG_1775.jpg
    242.8 KB · Views: 145

kerry

Expedition Leader
Just did my first trip with camper and I'm stoked on it. I spent several mornings of my trip just fielding questions from people about it - it's definitely a conversation starter. Was in a variety of climates (California, Colorado and Utah). Some notes and observations...

Dickinson furnace
  • Mine isn't hooked up to electric yet so I ran on low propane pressure and was comfortable when external temps were in the upper 20s outside. Don't have have internal thermometer so I'm not sure what internal temp was. I think temps could have been lower and it would have been fine. Obviously, upper portion of the camper gets much warmer than lower.
  • Without the fan, I did have some carbon buildup (I guess) on the glass of the furnace. Easy to wipe off.
  • One thing I struggled with was the furnace going out occasionally. I believe if the wind hits that chimney just right, it can happen. My last night it happened 4 times and I just gave up. Need to find a solution and I would like to hear others experiences. On all other nights, didn't struggle with this and it was great. The furnace is a solid install/buy - 10/10 would do it again.
  • At first I was worried about the ambient heat of the chimney damaging the awning or tent hood, but I had zero issue with that. Definitely checked a lot my first night.
Slide in table
  • Absolutely love the idea and overall I would buy it again. However, the edges of the aluminum are raw and it feels unfinished. I am going to go back and sand those down. Combined with the uber powerful struts and the possibility that they can just explode (not hyperbole) open, I started wearing gloves just to handle it. Given the quality of every other thing on the camper I was surprised by this. Not a huge deal, I suppose.
Exped Mattress
  • I threw in the exped mega mat and am happy about it. It's spendy, but it's very comfortable and adds to the warmth.
  • I leave blankets on it and I am able to close the camper easily if I deflate. Have to store pillows elsewhere. I removed the cushion on the rear and they fit perfectly there. Inflating and deflating doesn't take much time so I don't find it to be a hassle.
Awning
  • The awning is incredible. Because it is soooo easy to deploy and put back, I deployed it all the time.
  • Felt like a dummy first time I put it back, but leave the velcro straps hanging from the top. The first time I had them attached on the bottom and then was trying with all my might to get them looped through the top. Then it hit me what I was doing wrong. After I get them in, I always go back and tighten the middle one, which makes it even easier to zip up.
General
  • The rear platform is the perfect height for a standing desk (for me at least).
  • Two front runner wolf packs stacked on top of each other fit perfectly under the overhang of the bulkhead in my tacoma. So does their jerry can. r/oddlysatsifying.
  • Swing out doors have various places to attach things. I added some bungie as quick solution to hang things for quick access.
  • These cargo nets are velcro and stick to the underside of the platform well. They aren't huge but fit perfectly in between the frame supports of the platform. I used them to stash commonly used stuff.
Just installed a P12000 in our Northstar TS1000. Haven't camped in it yet. Mine is not a permanent installation, it's a pull out to use it when it gets cold installation. Just got electricity hooked up last night. It blows hard. It will definitely spread the heat around. Do you have the OE dickinson chimney cap? Hard to see how wind could get down that. I did learn, when installing mine, that if the inner chimney is not tightly fit into the chimney cap, combustion gases escape into the space between the inner and outer chimney. Since those gases are hot and rising, they stop fresh air coming in to the burner and the flame will go out. My initial impression is that a Dickinson is a quantum leap above my OE forced air furnace for three main reasons: 1--it will work without electricity. 2--the ambiance of a visible flame is great. 3--Radiant heat is far more pleasant than forced air.

Dickinson furnace
Slide in table
Exped Mattress
Awning
General
The reason your fireplace is going out is because you were not running your fan, it had nothing to do with the wind. Same thing happened to me while I was camped in a winter storm up at Mt Baker ski area the other night. I had my fireplace on high but fan was on low, I thought i had run out of propane but that was not the case. I was just talking to @rino about this and this is what he said:

"It will turn off if more than low and no fan, it has a little valve to prevent overheating...
you can see the metal in the firebox with the four holes in it start to glow and then it will shut down"

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• DSC07150.jpg
    DSC07150.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 80

kerry

Expedition Leader
The reason your fireplace is going out is because you were not running your fan, it had nothing to do with the wind. Same thing happened to me while I was camped in a winter storm up at Mt Baker ski area the other night. I had my fireplace on high but fan was on low, I thought i had run out of propane but that was not the case. I was just talking to @rino about this and this is what he said:

"It will turn off if more than low and no fan, it has a little valve to prevent overheating...
you can see the metal in the firebox with the four holes in it start to glow and then it will shut down"

Hope this helps.
The instruction manual for the heater does not mention such a safety device and explicitly states that the red glow of the combustion chamber is normal. Something else must be going on.

There is a high heat sensor on the unit, please see diagram "9. 19-161 High Heat Sensor". I am reaching out to Dickinson for clarification on this and for everyone's benefit.

Also from the manual: *NOTE: When operating on the higher settings, it is required to use the fan on a low or medium speed in order to maximize the heat output of the heater but also, to cool the air intake chimney and keep the flames from creating soot.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 11.51.16 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-24 at 11.51.16 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 36

kerry

Expedition Leader
There is a high heat sensor on the unit, please see diagram "9. 19-161 High Heat Sensor". I am reaching out to Dickinson for clarification on this and for everyone's benefit.

Also from the manual: *NOTE: When operating on the higher settings, it is required to use the fan on a low or medium speed in order to maximize the heat output of the heater but also, to cool the air intake chimney and keep the flames from creating soot.
Interesting. Mine is a 2006 P 12000 model and that paragraph saying the fan is required is not in the instructions. And , in the troubleshooting section under ‘flame goes out’ there is no mention of a high heat sensor. There is no parts diagram with my instructions.

kerry

Expedition Leader
Looking at the parts diagram, the high heat sensor does not appear to be connected to the gas valve. I wonder what it does? Automatically turn on the blower fan? I don’t see how it could cut off the gas.

abenteur_co

Hope this helps.

This may or may not be another reason that they go out, but I can confirm that even with the fan on it will blow out in windy conditions. I've been awake in windy (and very cold!) conditions where it goes out right after a big gust. I suspect it is some combination of removing the lower baffle that's required for installation with the GP Factor kit and being mounted up high on a chimney. It's intended use has it installed right against a boat deck so likely less chance for wind to get up under it and/or blow such that it prevents enough fresh air from getting drawn in thus starving it of O2. Some experimentation and mods are in order.

kerry

Expedition Leader
This may or may not be another reason that they go out, but I can confirm that even with the fan on it will blow out in windy conditions. I've been awake in windy (and very cold!) conditions where it goes out right after a big gust. I suspect it is some combination of removing the lower baffle that's required for installation with the GP Factor kit and being mounted up high on a chimney. It's intended use has it installed right against a boat deck so likely less chance for wind to get up under it and/or blow such that it prevents enough fresh air from getting drawn in thus starving it of O2. Some experimentation and mods are in order.
What’s the GP Factor kit?—-edit—found it. I see what you mean.

Last edited:

kerry

Expedition Leader
Got about 14” of snow overnight and our chimney is on the roof and was completely covered so I decided to conduct an experiment: would the heater run? No. I ran it on high for about 15 or 20 minutes with the door slightly ajar until the snow melted enough for combustion air to get down the chimney and I could shut the door.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke