Introducing the “NEW” Alu-Cab Canopy Camper

Bigmo

Has anyone here put a canoe on your Alu-Cab Canopy Camper? Mine weighs a little over 50 pounds and is about 13’ long. I spoke to a fellow at the distributor in New Jersey and they were not certain about it. Evidently there are shorter and taller load bars so obviously the taller are more likely to work. If my canoe won’t work on the Canopy Camper it is a real setback for plans for it. View attachment 618429

I have had both of my kayaks on the Canopy Camper at the same time no problems. One of them is 14 feet and about 45 lbs and the other is just shy of 13 feet and also about 45 lbs. Camper is a little harder to open but does open on its own once it reaches a certain point and I have slept with them on no problems. The cargo bar as added insurance when camper is deployed is a good idea from @2012Taco and something I may look into.

Last edited:

Phreak480

Army Guy
@rino do we have a solution for the rear camera relocation for the Jeep gladiator?

I plan to buy a replacement tailgate harness when I get my gladiator and canopy and work from that. This will give me a modifiable (without cutting into the vehicle harness) part to tap into for 3rd brake light connection and something to work from for the camera. I wonder if using a camera from a wrangler would work well with a bracket to attach it to the rear door (there already exist aftermarket solutions for non factory tire carriers that would adapt easily. I'd imagine the angle for that camera would line up about right then, just not sure about how the "guide" lines on the display would work out then. When I get mine I'll try and find someone local with a wrangler that will let me try their camera. If it works then it could be an easy plug and play solution using already existing stuff in the market for wrangler owners as long as you have a spare mounted on the back door, and probably easy to adapt for those who don't run the spare there. The other possibility is to fab a mount that will accept the factory gladiator backup cam from the tailgate.

I'm waiting to be able to order a diesel rubi gladiator in sarge green, then will pull the trigger and also order the canopy. until then I can only speculate.

@rino do we have a solution for the rear camera relocation for the Jeep gladiator?
Different animal, but I was able to take the camera out of my Ranger tailgate. There was enough cable to work with and I ended up making a bracket and adhering it with some marine adhesive. The guidelines don’t work exactly but I at least have a good view. I have a Khaya, so there was an area under the camper to attach the camera to.

I searched for a solution for a while and then I finally just took it apart and realized it wasn’t rocket surgery.

jjohnson1892

Adventurer
Does anyone know what size bolt slides into the T-slot on the roof of the canopy campers? I know the interior bolt sizes are 5/16", but I believe they are too small for the roof

Expedition Essentials

Approved Vendor : Expedition Essentials
Loving this thing so far, slowly building it out/ adding things as time permits; finally mounted the Exo Table via an aluminum plate that picks up all of the existing mounting holes of the door with the exception of adding one more for additional support at the passenger bottom corner.

Lots more planned but it has been crazy around here!

taco12.jpgtaco13.jpgtaco15.jpg

jimdisc

Loving this thing so far, slowly building it out/ adding things as time permits; finally mounted the Exo Table via an aluminum plate that picks up all of the existing mounting holes of the door with the exception of adding one more for additional support at the passenger bottom corner.

View attachment 619920View attachment 619921View attachment 619922

That table looks amazing. Hopefully my Canopy Camper will be installed soon and it will include your propane mount. Will have to consider the table as well.

Do you mind posting a shot of how you have your bike mounted up there on the back door? Bike transport is one of my biggest conundrums at the moment.

DNLUSK

View attachment 619920View attachment 619921View attachment 619922
Looks very good. would love to see a close up of your Maxtrax mount and bike mount

Expedition Essentials

That table looks amazing. Hopefully my Canopy Camper will be installed soon and it will include your propane mount. Will have to consider the table as well.

Do you mind posting a shot of how you have your bike mounted up there on the back door? Bike transport is one of my biggest conundrums at the moment.

Thanks Man.

The bike rack is this one from Yakima.

So far it has been working pretty good. Been holding up great Offroad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Expedition Essentials

Looks very good. would love to see a close up of your Maxtrax mount and bike mount

Thank you.

Maxtrax mount.

96a675594e12d8fe0e5905e91bfce216.jpg

jimdisc

Thanks Man.

So far it has been working pretty good. Been holding up great Offroad.

Thanks. A swing out hitch rack has been the probable solution thus far but by the time you add the swing out unit they get upwards of 80lbs of rack to carry a 20 lb bike. I wasn't planning on the tire mount on my door but it's an interesting solution. I like that it seems to stick out far enough that it clears the side of the camper when the door is open and it also lifts the bike up away from the danger of being clipped in traffic. I wonder if I could figure out a way to install one without a spare tire....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94