Introducing the “NEW” Alu-Cab Canopy Camper

jjohnson1892

Adventurer
Anyone had a chance to use these in real rain? Any issues with leaks? I keep writing these off based off of extremely negative experiences with my AluCab canopy and leaks, but I keep coming back around to them because there are a lot of neat ideas. So who here has used them in the rain?

Plenty of nights in the rain including a few with sideways rain - interior is always bone dry. Once I had time to seal the camper post-install, I've only had water come in once while driving, and that was a small trickle that happened while we drove interstates during a hurricane. Water was forced in on the front corner of the bed where I missed a tiny little gap of sealant during install, so user error.

rvrboy

Plenty of nights in the rain including a few with sideways rain - interior is always bone dry. Once I had time to seal the camper post-install, I've only had water come in once while driving, and that was a small trickle that happened while we drove interstates during a hurricane. Water was forced in on the front corner of the bed where I missed a tiny little gap of sealant during install, so user error.

Same here torrential down pours on the back side of a hurricane that passed by and bone dry.

rvrboy

I went with a NOCO GCP1E in my driver side filler panel with the 110v wire routed through a cable gland to the camper interior where the rest of my electrics are. From there it runs into its own junction box, through a Blue Sea circuit breaker and to a GFCI in my electric cabinet. In there I installed the NOCO Genius 2D charger which says it can put out 2A which should keep things topped up if I'm somewhere I can plug in. If nothing else it's nice to have shore power in the driveway when packing for a trip as it allows my to run the fridge on 110v easily while getting everything cooled down and packed up.

View attachment 617691View attachment 617692View attachment 617693

Awesome thank you! I do the same with my fridge before a trip but currently have to run an extension cable thru the drivers side opening.

rvrboy

Awesome thank you! I do the same with my fridge before a trip but currently have to run an extension cable thru the drivers side opening.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions!
I've been running two Optima yellow tops, one for starting and one for camper duties. It's ok, but if I try to use the freezer side of my NL fridge it drains down the yellow top to half capacity or lower pretty quick overnight. So I never use the freezer :(

I decided to do a major upgrade and contacted BattleBorn Batteries to discuss some options. I'm going to run the Optima's in parallel for extra starting and winching power and I purchased a BattleBorn 100Ah Li battery that will more than double my capacity giving a true 100Ah. It won't be hurt if drawn down below half capacity or even to the point of the built in management system shut down, close to zero. It will charge/recover faster and have a much longer life to boot. I also purchased a Victron 12V / 25A smart charger for shore power (if available) or being able to cool down the fridge and top off the battery before a trip. This setup will work great with the Victron smart solar charger I already have.

I'm stoked to get this installed for cross country trip were planning next year :)

seekoutbeauty

Has anyone considered mounting storage to the bottom of their beds? (Not a net)

I haven't had a chance to camp in my new canopy camper yet, but I am thinking the bed is going to be up anytime I am not sleeping, which puts those items that you would store on the bottom in a vertical space, that you cant really occupy....When you sleep, its under you, and when you stand in the camper, its above you and out of the way...

I am thinking of a molle plate that would allow me to mount things like my CO2 tank, fishing gear, axe, shovel, etc... all of those things would be lifted out of the way if I am sitting in the bed, but keep the bed clear... It should also be fairly easy to reach through the side doors...
The only downside to me would be potentially needing some stronger shocks for the bed... and also having trouble transporting taller items... but you could solve both of those with new shocks and just removing some of those items if you need to transport tall things.

GJY0jQS.jpg

Bigmo

I haven't had a chance to camp in my new canopy camper yet, but I am thinking the bed is going to be up anytime I am not sleeping, which puts those items that you would store on the bottom in a vertical space, that you cant really occupy....When you sleep, its under you, and when you stand in the camper, its above you and out of the way...

I am thinking of a molle plate that would allow me to mount things like my CO2 tank, fishing gear, axe, shovel, etc... all of those things would be lifted out of the way if I am sitting in the bed, but keep the bed clear... It should also be fairly easy to reach through the side doors...
The only downside to me would be potentially needing some stronger shocks for the bed... and also having trouble transporting taller items... but you could solve both of those with new shocks and just removing some of those items if you need to transport tall things.

GJY0jQS.jpg

Just an FYI I added a 3 inch memory foam mattress to mine and I left the original mattress in as well. The bed platform would not stay up on its own. I ended up removing the original mattress from Alu-Cab and it stays up just fine now. Mine could have been an issue with not enough space when up versus weight of both mattresses but I would play around with the weight before you add a permanent storage or yes plan on stiffer shocks for the platform.

jjohnson1892

Adventurer

I have the zippered pockets that came on the door up on the underside of the platform (since I now have GP factor tables and molle panels on door), as well as some pouches from BROG. Super convenient for storing toiletries, some kitchen gear, and quick grab things like headlamps. For mid-length items, you could always look at the 'shelf' that is under the platform in the front of the camper for things like broken-down fishing rods, axe, etc. We keep fire tools, axe, mountain pie maker, and screen for the back door up there, secured with hefty velcro to the carpeting.

@Bigmo has a point on weight going up -- we added a 1.5" topper to the mattress and it is sturdy enough to trust, but definitely close to not wanting to stay put. I've had some close calls with it coming down quickly, too. Not sure I'd want to add too much weight to the underside of the platform without upgrading the capacity of the struts.

seekoutbeauty

I am with you guys, I have already had the bed come flying down on me when I was sitting under it. Terrifying for sure.
I already feel like I want to put something a little stronger up there so I can flip it up with a single hand through a side door.
Thanks for the feedback.

Just an FYI I added a 3 inch memory foam mattress to mine and I left the original mattress in as well. The bed platform would not stay up on its own. I ended up removing the original mattress from Alu-Cab and it stays up just fine now. Mine could have been an issue with not enough space when up versus weight of both mattresses but I would play around with the weight before you add a permanent storage or yes plan on stiffer shocks for the platform.
I have the zippered pockets that came on the door up on the underside of the platform (since I now have GP factor tables and molle panels on door), as well as some pouches from BROG. Super convenient for storing toiletries, some kitchen gear, and quick grab things like headlamps. For mid-length items, you could always look at the 'shelf' that is under the platform in the front of the camper for things like broken-down fishing rods, axe, etc. We keep fire tools, axe, mountain pie maker, and screen for the back door up there, secured with hefty velcro to the carpeting.

@Bigmo has a point on weight going up -- we added a 1.5" topper to the mattress and it is sturdy enough to trust, but definitely close to not wanting to stay put. I've had some close calls with it coming down quickly, too. Not sure I'd want to add too much weight to the underside of the platform without upgrading the capacity of the struts.

hiker chick

Has anyone here put a canoe on your Alu-Cab Canopy Camper? Mine weighs a little over 50 pounds and is about 13’ long. I spoke to a fellow at the distributor in New Jersey and they were not certain about it. Evidently there are shorter and taller load bars so obviously the taller are more likely to work. If my canoe won’t work on the Canopy Camper it is a real setback for plans for it. E8AA5CAE-5C79-458F-A3B7-5148486020CB.jpeg

2012Taco

AlumEscape
Has anyone here put a canoe on your Alu-Cab Canopy Camper? Mine weighs a little over 50 pounds and is about 13’ long. I spoke to a fellow at the distributor in New Jersey and they were not certain about it. Evidently there are shorter and taller load bars so obviously the taller are more likely to work. If my canoe won’t work on the Canopy Camper it is a real setback for plans for it. View attachment 618429

I would think you'll be alright - I've carried my Old Town 139 kayak up there which is pretty similar in weight and size without too much trouble. I don't have the OEM load bars but went with 1"x3" 80-20 bars and made some saddles to support the yak upside down. It is a chore to get it on and off the roof (and you know it's there when you open and close the roof!) but it's not terrible. In my case it does need to ride a bit more rearward than I'd like so it clears my bike and the roof box that is sometimes mounted on my car rack but it works.

For added insurance though I did grab one of these (https://www.harborfreight.com/ratcheting-cargo-bar-96811.html) and put in from the roof to the rear frame over the door if I plan on sleeping with the yak on top.

20200801_102927.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles