Introducing O'Billy - our new Type-II Ambulance

mike.marcacci

Adventurer
Hey all - sorry for the long pause! We got the van past the "90% done threshold" and spent the past month on the road working on our climbing project throughout Arizona and part of New Mexico. We're back in San Diego for a brief stint at my brother's, finishing up the details that remaining and making small changes thanks to everything we learned living in it over the last month.

I'll post up a ton of pix as soon as everything is done! So stay tuned :)

tmo2460

Observer
Your build is awesome! I just read through your entire thread. I really like the way your paint/bedliner job turned out. Looking forward to seeing more pictures.

Care to share any more details on climbing project? I am a climber as well and I'm just getting started with my climbing/travel/full time living build on a Type III Minimod.

epinfRN

Hey OP, do you have any more shots of the interior? I just bought a type 2 and need some inspiration for how to design my build. I actually haven't been able to find very many type 2 builds; most seem to be type 3s and yours is by far my favorite of all!

Coachgeo

Explorer
is the vent for the LP at lowest level? If not you need to do that. My understanding is LP is heavier than air and will sink and accumulate giving you a potential for little leak to become a big nasty explosion. From what have read vent for stored LP must be at lowest point possible and that whole area must be air tight from the cabin.

other than that..... she looks great and sounds like she functions real well for you.

patoz

Expedition Leader
is the vent for the LP at lowest level? If not you need to do that. My understanding is LP is heavier than air and will sink and accumulate giving you a potential for little leak to become a big nasty explosion. From what have read vent for stored LP must be at lowest point possible and that whole area must be air tight from the cabin.

You are 100% correct!

NFPA 1192
Standard on Recreational Vehicles
2005 Edition

Chapter 5 Fuel Systems and Equipment

5.2.3 Location of Propane Containers

5.2.3.3 Propane containers with their control valves shall be installed in compliance with one
of the following:

(1) Mounted in a recess or compartment other than on the roof that is vapor resistant to
the inside of the recreational vehicle.

5.2.6 Ventilation of Compartments Containing Propane Containers.

5.2.6.1 Compartments shall be ventilated at or near the top and at the extreme bottom to
facilitate diffusion of vapors.

5.2.6.2 The compartment shall be ventilated with at least two vents, each having an
aggregate free area equal to at least 0.5 in.2 for each 7 lb (3.23 cm 2 per 500 g) of the total
propane fuel capacity of the maximum number of the largest cylinders the compartment can
hold.

5.2.6.3 If the lower vent is located in the access door or wall, the bottom edge of the vent
shall be flush with the floor level of the compartment.

5.2.6.4 The top vent shall be located in the access door or wall, with the bottom of the vent
within 12 in. (305 mm) of the ceiling of the compartment.

5.2.6.5 Vents shall have an unrestricted discharge to the outside atmosphere.

5.2.6.6 Doors or panels providing access to valves shall not be equipped with locks or
require special tools to open.

There is a 2017 version of this instruction out, but it's copyrighted and I can't copy and paste from it with my subscription. I guess they don't care about the 2005 version, but I have compared the two and they are virtually the same.

This instruction is worth reading in it's entirety. Since we are all private citizens and we're not building RVs for hire or sale, you can pretty much do things as you wish. However, a wise man will read the instruction and try to follow it as close a possible, just to be on the safe side.

http://hamyarenergy.com/static/fckimages/files/NFPA/Hamyar Energy NFPA 1192 - 2005.pdf

mike.marcacci

Adventurer
Those are fantastic points about the LP – I hadn't found those standards, even after a surprisingly unproductive scour of the internet. Without a proper spec, but with some understanding of the density difference, we did place the vent on the side towards the bottom of the box. Also, there's a 4-inch lip at the bottom of the door (which itself seals very tight)... but I never even thought about adding a top vent to help displace any propane leaking out of the bottom one... that's probably something worth adding.

Perhaps it would be better to drill a new bottom vent straight down, and re-route the current vent to the top?

Thanks for the great info on that.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Just think of the Propane gas as a liquid and you're trying to keep as much of it as possible out of the compartment.

Also, it doesn't address it specifically, but if the compartment the propane cylinder is in is shared by other components or used for storage, then the area where the cylinder is mounted is to be completely isolated from the remaining space(s), and must have it's on ventilation method. For instance, if the cylinder was sitting in the bottom of a 6' tall compartment under a shelf, and the rest of that upper space was used for something else, then that shelf would have to be sealed to the walls, and have a gasket that would form a seal between the front edge of the shelf and the door when it was closed. The lower space would require an upper and lower vent also, which would be separate from any vent for the upper space.

Coachgeo

Explorer
Thanks Pat. Was hoping you would Pipe in (pardon the pun). Had remembered you were heavily educated in all things fire related.

patoz

Expedition Leader
Thanks Pat. Was hoping you would Pipe in (pardon the pun). Had remembered you were heavily educated in all things fire related.

Thanks, but I'm not so sure about the "heavily educated" part, but I did learn a few things in the 30 years I worked there, plus I was fortunate enough to be able to attend various in depth schools at places like Florida State Fire College, LSU, University of Alabama, Texas A&M, etc.

Contrary to some beliefs, we don't sit around and play checkers all day long.

firefighter.png

epinfRN

Mike, thank you so much for posting this. You guys have built an incredibly functional type 2 and packed in SO many features! I have a couple of questions for you.

-Where did you get the hinge that is used to switch the bottom section of your bed from sleeping platform to futon? I find this design SO ingenious! So much so that I feel compelled to copy it in my own build.
-Through what means do your drawers lock? Are those black latches somehow connected on the inside?
-What sort of solenoid are you using to connect your batteries into the charging circuit? It must not be a simple 60A isolator...

I am in awe of the rewiring you and your wife have done. I am in the thick of this part of the project as we speak and calling it a headache is an understatement. Congratulations on a very attractive, functional build!

I gave you guys a follow on IG-what a great project! Thanks again for updating us!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles