Internet use for overland.

LateNate

Adventurer
I am preparing for a Pan-Am trip and was wondering what the options are for having the internet at our disposal.

uli2000

Adventurer
I am preparing for a Pan-Am trip and was wondering what the options are for having the internet at our disposal.

the only truly global solution I'm aware of is BGAN which uses the Inmarsat network iirc. But it aint gonna be cheap. In addition to equipment costs/rental, it looks like the cheapest plan is $150/month for a minimum 3 month term, which includes 20mb usage/month. So checking/sending email (no pics) once a day, basically. I use my cell phone to tether to a laptop, so maybe if you got an unlocked gsm cell phone that you could tether easily with (most are very easy to tether via bluetooth/usb. Motorolla, RIM (Blackberry), and anything with Windows Mobile are very easy to use as a modem) and get local prepaid SIM cards and data service in each country. But I think the best bet/most cost effient is to use wifi whenever you are in a area with it avalible. I would think most medium sized cities would have some type of internet access avalible. If everything else fails, look for a internet cafe and rent a computer for a hour or two.

LateNate

Adventurer
Awesome! Thanks. just a little overwelming with the info, but ill look it all up. The best way to go from what you told me is just using wifi when i can get it.

LateNate

Adventurer
I think I am going to look into that BGAN some more. I don't like that you said i wouldn't be able to send pics though. Thats mucho important!

haven

Expedition Leader
Having your own Internet connection via BGAN is possible, but very
expensive. It might be worth having a sat phone for emergencies,
but you'd have to be a billionaire to afford to use BGAN for web browsing.

The SPOT personal tracker is an inexpensive alternative to a phone
for emergencies. http://www.findmespot.com

In my experience, internet cafes are present in most market towns in
Central America. You can prepare your email text and blog updates using
your laptop while you're camping, and then transfer to a flash drive for
uploading when you're in town.

Scott Brady

Founder
You will have great availability of internet throughout your trip. We brought along a BGAN, but rarely used it. We would eat at a little cafe with internet, or found that many of the campgrounds had internet. I also had a data plan on my iPhone, which bridged most of the gaps.

LateNate

Adventurer
So far, and this is just through Canada that I have to report. That I have been fine just using the WiFi spots wear I can get it. It's just like pirate camping, but pirate WiFi. A lot of Starbucks visits so far. I am sure it will be a little different farther south. Its working now though.

UK4X4

Expedition Leader
latinoland

if the town has electric, phones and a bank

you'll probably also find an internet cafe, not so much wifi like the US

but a little shop, 5 computers and someone selling cokes and chiclets.

Sometime's they'll let you connect your own laptop, some times they won't.

When travelling light I just brought a memory card reader and software, and used their PC's

Backing up photo's either on line or making CD's and posting home.

If you have a vehicle obviously then a laptop is easily carried.

Main cities starbucks etc and local dirivitives and copy shops...

are getting more widespread and wifi is catching on,

just buy something and get the password !

Speed........we'll get used to slooowww

Scott Brady

Founder
So far, and this is just through Canada that I have to report. That I have been fine just using the WiFi spots wear I can get it. It's just like pirate camping, but pirate WiFi. A lot of Starbucks visits so far. I am sure it will be a little different farther south. Its working now though.

You are stopping in Prescott on your way south - right? :D

egn

Adventurer
For people moving around in Europe and other countries where Vodafone has roaming partners, there is a fairly cheap option with a prepaid plan of Vodafone Irland for Vodafone Live as Pay as you go. It gets you 50 MB free traffic a day for 0.99 €/day. The 50 MB are enough for email a some web surfing.

FAQ:
How much does it cost to use mobile internet abroad?

Vodafone Mobile Internet is the same price when roaming abroad as at home. The service will be accessible from any country where we have a 3G or GPRS roaming agreement.

Vodafone Roaming Map:
http://www.vodafone.ie/planscosts/prepay/roaming/map/

So it should work in North America, too. But I have no confirmation yet. In South America there are no roaming partners for prepaid customers yet.

The prepaids are currently sold at Ebay. I have one, and it works fine so far here in Germany, and confirmed by others in a lot of countries in Europe.

I think the link provided in the auction regarding the roaming countries is for a different product, as the FAQ of Vodafone Live says has no restrictions regarding the roaming. Probably someone has to test this.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles