International vehicle insurance question

Mamba2020

Hello,

We are planning to leave the USA and try to drive around the world as much as possible....Ca, to Baja to Mex, Central, SoAm, ship to Africa, Ship to Europe, try to drive from Turkey to Mongolia, then to China, ship to Australia , back to the USA....4-5 years in a Merz 1017.

Got a quote for world vehicle insurance for 10K year with $500 deductible. We are worried about vehicle theft and break in during shipping.

Anyone have advice?
Martin

sg1

Adventurer
Soooo, everyone is driving around the world with no insurance?
Yes. I have been on the road for 8 years in Africa, the Americas and Europe and I have never met an Overlander with comprehensive insurance. We only buy the locally mandated third party liability insurance in each country.

Arjan

Fossil Overlander
Welcome to the real world of paperwork..

I seriously doubt one insurer can give you "world vehicle insurance " in the real world- so please have a good read what it is he is actually offering you and on what terms. I seriously doubt he does a universal maritime cover as many think the term suggests - this is a minefield and varies per line / country / terms / shipping company.. Please note that per country / region the laws are different what vehicle insurance means and on what terms.

Also, you could be looking at having to obtain an ATA Carnet for the vehicle and that get more complicated to get once you've left the country of immatriculation of the vehicle. Please make sure you understand what is needed and where as paperwork & leges stop more trips than mechanical breakdowns..

We, in Europe, have usually a green card to proof we have 3rd party coverage in a number of countries - see below - where can go. As you can see, quite a few countries are included.

However, as soon as you're outside these countries one usually buys insurance at the border of the country you are visiting. Please note - 3rd party only. This is nothing special and should give no real problems - just needs time. And money, obviously.

Have Fun !

Mamba2020

Good morning,
Thanks for the reply. That's what I figured, as it does seem quite complicated when reading an underwriters contract. I was just worried about theft and damage to the vehicle beyond a reasonable out of pocket costs.

As for the ATA Carnet, I've heard mixed experiences for Africa travel, and will need to look into it more.

Best,
Martin

Joe917

Explorer
Standard is buy government or government approved 3rd party insurance and be willing to take a total loss on your vehicle.

J!m

Carnet.

Maybe someone like Lloyd’s would underwrite something but please be seated before opening the letter.

In 2001 we managed (mostly) without a carnet. But, even then we really should have had them. Do a lot of research and get at least three quotes per “product” if possible to see where everyone is at.

Arjan

Fossil Overlander
Carnets are simple things. In fact, so simple most people - including Customs - f.ck up using them. Do not worry - they cost money but make life much easier for the international overlander. Please note they run for 12 months - some are extendable for another 12 months but not all...

Accept that you're going to be out of a lot of money when your vehicle / lugagge etc. gets stolen en route. It happens - but not often. And it will be questionable if your "all risk insurance" will actually pay out what you think they should.

Have the 3rd party and enjoy the trip !

thewageneers

Hi Mamba2020,

We were able to purchase supplemental auto insurance through Clements that could be used worldwide (except for a few embargoed countries). The plan still required us to purchase government-mandated local insurance at each border as mentioned above, and then the global policy would act on top of that.

seb345

Hey, I just joined. We tried something like that, I mean we are European and it's easier for us. We have companies that have offices pretty much in every EU country so whenever we wanted a trip we just discussed it with our insurance agent. It's simpler than in the states. For example we were doing a 5 month trip across the US we had a lot more problems since we have international licenses and it was hard for us to get a proper insurance. We went online and tried to find out more about it. We stumbled across this really nice article https://www.cheapautoinsurance.com/article/car-insurance-for-non-us-citizens that gave us all the info we needed. It helped us make out trip a lot smoother and without any nasty business

Last edited:

jpotterkeller

Hello,

We are planning to leave the USA and try to drive around the world as much as possible....Ca, to Baja to Mex, Central, SoAm, ship to Africa, Ship to Europe, try to drive from Turkey to Mongolia, then to China, ship to Australia , back to the USA....4-5 years in a Merz 1017.

Got a quote for world vehicle insurance for 10K year with $500 deductible. We are worried about vehicle theft and break in during shipping.

Anyone have advice?
Martin
Hey Martin,
I am also looking for insurance for my trip. We are headed from Colorado to Argentina in a 50-60k vehicle. What company did you get your first quote from? Any luck with anyone else?

Thanks in advance!
Jesse

Mamba2020

Hey Jesse and fellow member!
We decided to do each county individually...but now many things have changed our plans esp COVID. So we made it into Baja, where we bought the vehicle insurance and World Nomad health coverage for the 6 month stay here. We are kinda stuck in San Felipe, which is a very cool place so we are not complaining. The Mex govt just extended the lockdown until May 31. Technically anyone heading south will be turned back at the first checkpoint leaving Mexicali unless you can prove residency with an electrical bill with your name on it (not just a residency card). We are in a great place now and have met some really cool Gringos who have showed us some amazing back country canyons on their side by sides and offered their vacant homes for us to stay. We are driving a Global Expedition Vehicle with a small motorcycle in the garage but the super sandy washes are best left to 4 wheels. We are a bit hesitant to continue into Baja Sur due to another checkpoint and risk getting into a mandatory quarantine like what is happening in south america. Our plans will be to stay put in Baja, return to the US in 5 months, then try shipping to Europe in the spring. Central and so am will be out for a good 2 years. Dont know if I'd be loading up on groceries in a store with a fancy truck when their entire social economic stability will take a major hit from this.
Let me know if u have any questions.
Martin

TheTrashPanda

Hey Jesse and fellow member!
We decided to do each county individually...but now many things have changed our plans esp COVID. So we made it into Baja, where we bought the vehicle insurance and World Nomad health coverage for the 6 month stay here. We are kinda stuck in San Felipe, which is a very cool place so we are not complaining. The Mex govt just extended the lockdown until May 31. Technically anyone heading south will be turned back at the first checkpoint leaving Mexicali unless you can prove residency with an electrical bill with your name on it (not just a residency card). We are in a great place now and have met some really cool Gringos who have showed us some amazing back country canyons on their side by sides and offered their vacant homes for us to stay. We are driving a Global Expedition Vehicle with a small motorcycle in the garage but the super sandy washes are best left to 4 wheels. We are a bit hesitant to continue into Baja Sur due to another checkpoint and risk getting into a mandatory quarantine like what is happening in south america. Our plans will be to stay put in Baja, return to the US in 5 months, then try shipping to Europe in the spring. Central and so am will be out for a good 2 years. Dont know if I'd be loading up on groceries in a store with a fancy truck when their entire social economic stability will take a major hit from this.
Let me know if u have any questions.
Martin
Hey Martin, thanks for posting your experience so far in Baja. Have you noticed any increase in crime or other social issues since Covid hit? Hopefully the quarantine is lifted long enough for you to explore Baja Sur!

Mamba2020

Good afternoon all,
We left Baja on July 14th only because it was getting really hot. Many of the stores and restaurants were still open to take out only. Like everywhere there were the non believers who didn't where masks etc, but every market has adopted hand sanitizer, and a plastic shield at the checkout counter. At the military check points, they did not really care why we were heading south, but many also had the local police who specifically asked for proof that you belong where you were going, for example you need an electric bill from a house etc. As of July 1 there were chartered fishing trips out of Bay of LA with no restrictions. As of July 18th, according to a couple doctors in San Felipe there were 1500 Covid cases with approx 40 deaths. News is hard to come by in Baja, so I think it may be a higher case count...and keep in mind that San felipe is part of Mexicali Municipality, and that city is a Hotspot. There is a lot of open camping in Baja and if you take the utmost care, you should be safe.
Best

Attachments

• 20200507_052818.jpg
    20200507_052818.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 15

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste