International tire size availability

I know this is a hit or miss subject and boils down to pure luck, but I'm wondering what the common tire sizes are internationally?

Obviously, this would be in regards to our mode of travel.

Thoughts on this subject?

I posed this question in the off chance that a total tire failure occurs. I understand the need to have new, quality tires before embarking on a long trip and benefit of having a matching spare. But I'm still interested to hear thoughts on what the most common tire sizes would be in "third world" countries, primarily in Latin America.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
My experience from Alaska to Argentina was that you can get absolutely any tire you can get in North America, you'll just pay through the nose for it.

For Light Truck type tires, I imagine 15s and 16s and still very common. 17s slightly less so and anything bigger would start to be hard to find.

I know people were looking at ~$300-$350-$400 per tire when getting new ones for 4Runners and Land Cruisers in South America.

Every big city in Central and South America has everything you can find in a big city in North America, you'll likely just have to hunt for it, and it will be more expensive than you are used to.

-Dan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke