International 7400 Unicat Video

Blair G

Adventurer
Robthebrit said:
I agree on the international not being a proven platform but I guess they needed a US truck and there is not much to choose from in the US 4x4 medium duty truck market.

Rob

So far I have really liked out 7400. We have the DT570 so power is not an issue. We are in the process of getting some better tires as the stock tires suck. Being so heavily reliant on the electrics to make this truck run would certainly make me concerned about leaving the country. So far so good though.

Blair

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
LandCruiserPhil said:
Im almost positive thats the Stairs obstacle at Hollister Hills (50 miles from UnicatAmerica). Its man made and is designed to test/stop long and short base vehicle. Maybe me, but I didnt see any wheel spin. It not as easy as it looks and you can bet its in 4WD.
Yes that is the stairs at Hollister Hills. A 'nice' obstacle since they have pre-made winch anchor points on either side.

expeditionswest said:
That was just exhaust blowing out dust on the last climb. I would be curious to know why they elected to climb the obstacle in reverse.
The steps are a LOT steeper then they look in the video. I'd guess they did not want the chance of a rear endo going up forward. Sure the engine is heavy, but the steepness and the fact you hit a good bump at each 'step' could cause an embarrassing moment.

My weight distribution is about 37-63. With a 154" wheelbase that puts the CG ~56" forwards of the rear axle. With a CG height of ~51-52" that gives a rear tip over angle of only 50 degrees or so, so that is a concern with my truck and I believe Avi's as well.
On the other hand, 50 deg is very steep.

Charlie

Last edited:

oonimog

Adventurer
That's not tire spin, it's the exhaust. You can imagine the throttle needed to haul that beast up the stairs. I expect that he backed up the stairs because he wanted to avoid the break over angle at the top and preferred backing up as opposed to backing down. Of more concern is that with an auto gearbox and transfer box gears that aren't low enough, he came down standing on the brakes. Not really the best technique...:oops:

Redline

Likes to Drive and Ride
Looks like exhaust to me. At the end of the video the camera shoots the total length under the truck. The position of the downturned muffler is about where all the dust was emanating from. Sounded like he was using plenty of throttle too (exhaust).

All leaf spring suspension, no air?

James

jayshapiro

Adventurer
spinning backwards

I can't comment on the great exhaust vs. spinning debate, but I have heard Avi say before that he reverses up tough obstacles because his reverse gear is even lower Than his low 1st gear. Not an easy truck to turn around on the trail though...

As for the International option, we considered it for the EcoRoamer but rejected it in favor of the F650. The main reasons were the ULSD issue outside the states (Avi says the engine can be modified, Intentional insists it cannot) and the broader international (pardon the pun) dealer support network for the Cat engine.

We both have the same Meritor axles, and same options for wheels / tires.

Haven't tried the steps in my truck, I suspect my maximum departure angle is less Than my truck's!

Jay.

lowenbrau

Explorer
I was quite impressed with the footage of him reversing up that obstical. I generally think of the live front axle in these large rigs as a 'front wheel assist'. The fact that you can move that heavy a rig up that kind of hill in reverse is impressive to me. I'd like to see some testing with the steering at full lock. That would be a sure recipe for a broken axle. There is no question that the dust is exhaust generated. I have cursed my side dumping exhaust when in that area for the dust it creates.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94