International 7400 Unicat Video

Maddmatt

Explorer
charlieaarons said:
It's a video of some guys driving too fast thru the desert, nothing to do with Unicat.

Charlie

You have to watch through that, after the desert racing footage it starts.

charlieaarons said:
It's a video of some guys driving too fast thru the desert, nothing to do with Unicat.

Charlie

There is a few seconds of commercials, if you can be patient enough to sit through that there is a unicat video.

Robthebrit

Explorer
I would prefer a mitsu too but I don't think a fuso would carry that monster! I am not too keen on the international truck, its very unproven for expedition use. The inside was very nice and it had pretty much everything you would ever need.

The bit where he reverses up the hill at the end is a little embarassing, its a simple hill and there is a lot of wheels spinning, I hope it was in 2wd.

Rob

Gold Boy

Adventurer
Robthebrit said:
I would prefer a mitsu too but I don't think a fuso would carry that monster! I am not too keen on the international truck, its very unproven for expedition use. The inside was very nice and it had pretty much everything you would ever need.

The bit where he reverses up the hill at the end is a little embarassing, its a simple hill and there is a lot of wheels spinning, I hope it was in 2wd.

Rob

x2

:26_7_2:

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
Im almost positive thats the Stairs obstacle at Hollister Hills (50 miles from UnicatAmerica). Its man made and is designed to test/stop long and short base vehicle. Maybe me, but I didnt see any wheel spin. It not as easy as it looks and you can bet its in 4WD.

Another Youtube View
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Cw16Ef72srQ

Robthebrit

Explorer
You don't see the front wheels slipping but the dust beign kicked up is definately from the rears slipping. You can kind of tell how truck moves that its spinning. Does that unicat have diff locks?

I am not sure if its the steps at Hollister, but those steps are not terrible. I have not driven the camper mog up (its never been to Hollister) them but I have driven the 416 doka up and down them without any issues.

Rob

Scott Brady

Founder
That was just exhaust blowing out dust on the last climb. I would be curious to know why they elected to climb the obstacle in reverse.

The fast footage through the desert is played a 1.5x speed (or similar). I have seen the original footage. Most of it is from northern Africa.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
LandCruiserPhil said:
Im almost positive thats the Stairs obstacle at Hollister Hills (50 miles from UnicatAmerica). Its man made and is designed to test/stop long and short base vehicle. Maybe me, but I didnt see any wheel spin. It not as easy as it looks and you can bet its in 4WD.

yes these are the stairs. I have done them with my Vanagon Camper Syncro. Lot of fun.

Gold Boy

Adventurer
looked like dust blowing up from the on board air system.

i'm not convinced that international truck is the best choice of platform, for unicat.:Mechanic: <<<< ;)

Robthebrit

Explorer
I don't think its air unless its leaking, they sneeze once in a while to release or equalize pressure but thats about it.

I don't think its the exhaust, there are lots of other sections with the truck driving in soft sand and dirt and there is no cloud behind it - there are other videos of it on the web too. He may be gassing it really hard but I don't think the movement of the truck doesn't go along with that - unless the wheels are spinning. Watching the video carefully, the front wheels don't look as if they are contributing anything to the movement.

I agree on the international not being a proven platform but I guess they needed a US truck and there is not much to choose from in the US 4x4 medium duty truck market.

Rob

Robthebrit said:
I agree on the international not being a proven platform but I guess they needed a US truck and there is not much to choose from in the US 4x4 medium duty truck market.

Rob

That's exactly it. Avi and I got the Unicat bug at the same time but unbeknownst to each other. I ended up with the U500 as my chassis solution, he wanted a 7400.

Charlie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior