International 4700 4X4 Rescue Conversion

motorman

Motorman, I just found and followed your thread! I'm so glad you found such a great rig! I can't wait to see where the build goes!

Scooter...

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

thanks for the encouragement
i watched your progress for many moons
i still remember seeing your tire 'lift' pics with the cold beverage can as a reference

how are those tires wearing . . . like iron i suppose!

motorman

I love guys who start with a bulletproof base.

thanks billiebob it is a tremendous value to boo!

this is the same reason i keep coming back to the premise that i should not molest this box to try and make it do something it was not designed to do. we will add windows like Mattersnots' unit

we are settling in on a large booth to cut our teeth as most of our travel will be measured by weeks

im the kinda engineer who says 'less is more'

scooter421

Adventurer
thanks for the encouragement
i watched your progress for many moons
i still remember seeing your tire 'lift' pics with the cold beverage can as a reference

how are those tires wearing . . . like iron i suppose!
Yup, no issues with tires at all but they don't see a lot of miles. I don't get out nearly as much as I'd like to. I'm hoping this year will be a bit more friendly to long weekends. I've got a few Amazon boxes sitting in the Ambo awaiting my attention but time is in short supply. I've also started yet another project for Overlanding with an M1009. The weather here in AZ should start warming up and I'm going to be pushing for the hills if I can! I've struggled with modifying the box as well. It's all put together pretty well as it is. I'll keep checking in on your progress!

Scooter...

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

scooter421

Adventurer
Motorman, could you please post the numbers for your front axle and transfer case on that beauty when you get a chance? I still have 4X4 dreams, nightmare, visions occasionally and I may have to confront them one day!

Scooter...

motorman

Scooter. It is a sda1200 w/ 3.73 gears

Im trying to close the loop with tulsa truck if their records show a locker

Super nice guys

You can find the fabco manual online and see all the detail

Ill post a pic when i can get to my computer and shrink the file size .... will not load from my phone

motorman

fabco nameplate . . . order up!

Attachments

• IMG_20200107_174952-min.jpg
    IMG_20200107_174952-min.jpg
    736.2 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_20200107_174908-min.jpg
    IMG_20200107_174908-min.jpg
    917.7 KB · Views: 55

motorman

Well after a long hiatus I have been back to it

The box is almost completely gutted and we have probably removed over 1500 lbs from the unit

Just a little more demo remaining and then to the build cycle. The PTO hydraulic generator is one of the last items and then im going to head back to the scales.

The wasted space began to reveal itself as more material was removed, we began to re-think the layout once again. The current plan is a permanent east west queen bed with a booth. The 1st compartment behind the driver is a larger one that extends below the floor line. This will allow a stand up shower without too much hassle. A compound door will be utilized for the shower ‘volume’ to be utilized as storage and the will accordion into the main living space area when the shower is being utilized.

We removed the rear passenger side compartment and the door will be removed and ‘skinned’ over to allow for a window. The driver’s side rear compartment will be cut in ½ or so and allow for exterior storage while maximizing under bed storage.

An 80 gal fresh water tank is planned for under the bed almost directly over the axle

Once the demo is complete, will put in a new subfloor of Advantech ill bang together some 2x4’s to make a sleeping platform and well see how it works. Nothing permanent . . . just more Beta testing.

any reason to not use Advantech?

Please do not hesitate to point to any possible flaws in the design. Im so close to this my view is myopic.

thanks as always
m

1591645662721.png

Last edited:

DzlToy

Explorer
Celtec is lighter, waterproof and does not rot, twist, warp or burn. Bugs do not eat it and it basically lasts forever. I hate wood in campers and boats. You can purchase from Cal-Sac off Indian Trail Road.

Last edited:

motorman

Celtec is lighter, waterproof and does not rot, twist, warp or burn. Bugs do not eat it and it basically lasts forever. I hate wood in campers and boats. You can purchase from Cal-Sac off Indian Trail Road.

thanks, ill check out the Celtec and they are only about 15 min from my office!

motorman

long hiatus dealing with rain almost every afternoon and the heat
weather 'broke' last week and we had highs in the upper 80's low 90's and got back to work
cut the rear box on the drivers side which will be the top of the bed platform
it is currently at 36" and expect it will need to come down 4-6" more but once cut we can never go back
will be making a temporary queen bed platform and test it out for a while to confirm

was hesitant if we wanted to pull the sub floor but dug into it anyway
sure glad we did
all the mess is gone and we can give it a thorough clean

cut the front box where the rescue ladders were stored
we will have a pass through and the fridge will be on the right
electrical panel & batteries will be in the compartment opposite the fridge and accessible from the outside
full shower will be on the left

did some CAD work for a 80 gal water tank 40 x 32 x 17
looks like it will be too large and going to scale it back to 65 gal and install 'vertically' 38 x 18 x 26

anyway, pics or it did not happen

Last edited:

motorman

progress . . .

Attachments

• 20200906_130541.jpg
    20200906_130541.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 62
  • 20200906_130537.jpg
    20200906_130537.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 64
  • 20200907_094902.jpg