International 3800 adventure bus build

HazeltheMooseWagon

I removed some of the side skirting today and I like the look. I plan on closing in the back of the bus tomorrow. That will consist of fabricating some angle iron framework between the low floor and high floor, cutting down the height of the back door and making some new sheetmetal panels for the back corners. We will hopefully be installing alot of rivets tomorrow.
48d6de799df977642e3ea37b83038765.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
I can offer a bit of experience with Axletech 4000 conversion. Watch the final ratios carefully and do not install them with your current transmission.

Rear steer is a complication that you do not want on an expedition rig especially with your family inside. Also rear axles are cheaper and simpler than the steer axles.

HazeltheMooseWagon

I can offer a bit of experience with Axletech 4000 conversion. Watch the final ratios carefully and do not install them with your current transmission.

Rear steer is a complication that you do not want on an expedition rig especially with your family inside. Also rear axles are cheaper and simpler than the steer axles.

I’m assuming you have used the Axletech axles before? Were they the narrow ones with the 5.65 ratio or the wide ones with the 7.64 ratio? Have you had 4-wheel steering before? Were the planetaries noisy at speed? I would have to figure out spring brakes on a rear-steer if I went that route and a fail-safe way to lock-up the rear steering when not needed. I would like to know your overall opinion on the Axletech axles as far as build-quality and reliability goes.

baipin

If you want to know more about Axletechs on school buses, maybe give Simmard Suspension a call; they do bus 4x4 conversions in Quebec - mostly on Bluebirds and IC CE300's:

1609445951678.png

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
I’m assuming you have used the Axletech axles before? Were they the narrow ones with the 5.65 ratio or the wide ones with the 7.64 ratio? Have you had 4-wheel steering before? Were the planetaries noisy at speed? I would have to figure out spring brakes on a rear-steer if I went that route and a fail-safe way to lock-up the rear steering when not needed. I would like to know your overall opinion on the Axletech axles as far as build-quality and reliability goes.

I put wides with the centers for 5.65 in my Freightliner. Planetaries are not noisy. Axles are very good quality and have very positive locking.

I have had 4 wheel steer on a number of vehicles but mostly cranes. One of my most puckering moments was a 36t Grove all terrain crane where the latch pin came loose on the highway at about 30 MPH. Absolutely terrifying. I did consider rear steer on this rig but in the end the extra effort, cost and risk didn’t warrant the added capabilities for the small amount of time it would be used.

Also the steer axles have about 1 - 1 1/2 degrees of camber. They wear tires briskly. At least with a straight rear axles you can maximize the life by constant rotation.

Another thing to consider is that they take a fair bit of power to turn. Expect a fair drop in MPG.

76a47a97d92563a5978ca231131ec71d.jpg

HazeltheMooseWagon

I put wides with the centers for 5.65 in my Freightliner. Planetaries are not noisy. Axles are very good quality and have very positive locking.

I have had 4 wheel steer on a number of vehicles but mostly cranes. One of my most puckering moments was a 36t Grove all terrain crane where the latch pin came loose on the highway at about 30 MPH. Absolutely terrifying. I did consider rear steer on this rig but in the end the extra effort, cost and risk didn’t warrant the added capabilities for the small amount of time it would be used.

Also the steer axles have about 1 - 1 1/2 degrees of camber. They wear tires briskly. At least with a straight rear axles you can maximize the life by constant rotation.

Another thing to consider is that they take a fair bit of power to turn. Expect a fair drop in MPG.

76a47a97d92563a5978ca231131ec71d.jpg

I recognize your rig now, it looks really nice! It’s cool that you got to mix and match the best parts of both axles. Did you consider swapping the parts to add CTIS to your wide axle? It would be very scary to have the rear axle steering when you didn’t want it to. I didn’t think about the tire wear. I don’t suppose there would be an easy way to even out the wear if you had steers on front and rear. I guess it would take breaking the tires down and reversing them on the rims.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
I recognize your rig now, it looks really nice! It’s cool that you got to mix and match the best parts of both axles. Did you consider swapping the parts to add CTIS to your wide axle? It would be very scary to have the rear axle steering when you didn’t want it to. I didn’t think about the tire wear. I don’t suppose there would be an easy way to even out the wear if you had steers on front and rear. I guess it would take breaking the tires down and reversing them on the rims.

I looked at the CTIS but the hubs are different enough that it was a lot of work that may not of been successful in the end.

One other thing to consider with rear steer is the extra real estate the tires need in the wheel wells. I had enough hassles fitting 46” tires in the existing wells let alone allowing them to steer.

Also narrow Axletech’s on a commercial chassis requires offset rims which eliminates the alloy rims and the steel ones are very heavy.

What rear axle do you currently have. I did pull a limited slip out of this truck that is sitting in the backyard at the moment.

HazeltheMooseWagon

I looked at the CTIS but the hubs are different enough that it was a lot of work that may not of been successful in the end.

One other thing to consider with rear steer is the extra real estate the tires need in the wheel wells. I had enough hassles fitting 46” tires in the existing wells let alone allowing them to steer.

Also narrow Axletech’s on a commercial chassis requires offset rims which eliminates the alloy rims and the steel ones are very heavy.

What rear axle do you currently have. I did pull a limited slip out of this truck that is sitting in the backyard at the moment.

I haven’t been able to identify it yet. I haven’t tried really hard yet but I did uncover this tag:
b96891f1388f5f62bbd903be2f67a7ba.jpg

I just went through your build thread concerning the axle swap in your rig. That is a dream build to me! I hope to be doing the same thing to mine in years to come. What are your thoughts about running over 55 mph on the Michelin XZLs? They are rated to carry a 39,680 lb rig at 55 mph safely and you are a little over half that weight.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
PM me the last 8 digits of your VIN if you want to know what components your bus was built with. I'm a mobile mechanic for an International dealer and can look that stuff up by VIN, I work on buses for quite a few school districts too.

HazeltheMooseWagon

Shortbus4x4 helped me out with the VIN number and it looks like it has an International N-175 rearend.

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Now what can I fit in a wheel-well that has a 28” radius?

Depends on the tire offset and the distance between the center of the axle and the wheel well when at full axle movement (one wheel at top of movement and the other at the bottom of its movement).

Since in most places in the USA you can buy surplus 46” (395/85R20) tires cheaply I would suggest you grab one and try that. Or use a pool float like I did for mocking up a spare tire carrier.

another method is to cut out a pice of ply to bolt to the axle to see where the clearance is. This gives a vague idea but doesn’t show all the problems.
460010D4-18B3-4BB7-9846-3A24D60B7C75.jpeg460010D4-18B3-4BB7-9846-3A24D60B7C75.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior