Interior Cargo Rack for 05-15 Xterra

Robert Bills

Explorer
I recently acquired an interior cargo rack for my Xterra, designed and built by a fellow Xterra owner who sold his rig. I was lucky to get it.

Here are some photos that might be a design inspiration for others addressing the issue of how to efficiently store offroading/camping gear in an Xterra while maintaining functionality of the rear seat:

IMG_0527.JPG

IMG_0528.JPG

The rack measures 47 3/4" W x 27" D x 20 1/2" from the floor to the bottom of the shelf. The weight is no more than 25#, and the rack is rock solid. There are nuts welded into the top for installation of a solid shelf and also into the legs to mount a fire extinguisher bracket, quick fists, etc.

Note that the legs clear my 11# propane tank on one side and a 2 gal. Rotopax water container on the other. It fits so well that if one didn't know better one might think that it was fabricated with my particular needs in mind. [Pay no attention to the bungies on the water can or the zip tie for the fire extinguisher mount - they are temporary for test fitting only. The propane tank is removed by tilting it forward and taking it out between the legs - it fits like a glove in that location with no rattling.]

jonnyquest

Adventurer
How does the rack attach to the cargo area? I'm not familiar with the Xterra. I have a 95 Pathfinder and was thinking of something similar.

Robert Bills

Explorer
How does the rack attach to the cargo area? I'm not familiar with the Xterra. I have a 95 Pathfinder and was thinking of something similar.

It uses "channel spring nuts" and 3/4" long bolts in the factory channels. These are available at Home Depot (in the electrical aisle).

465879d0-d6dd-4652-893f-8396f8050000_400.jpg

You can see the mounting point in the photo below (copied from post #1) - One bolt with spring nut, also one eye bolt with spring nut. Each corner is the same. The rack would be secure with only one fastener in each corner (either eye bolt or regular bolt), but the feet for this custom rack were designed with two holes to allow both.

IMG_0528.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94