Interior building material

1aquaholic

Adventurer
What's the best stuff out there? Easy to build with and most durable to abuse and humidity. Building cabinets, benches, wall panelings, and ceilings. Starboard ST, Plywood formica laminate, plywood coated with epoxy paint, composite paneling.....?

Thanks

1aquaholic

Adventurer
Weight isn't very important it's going in a Fuso price is always a factor but I want good stuff. Rig is going to do a trip around the world so there will be humidity.

rruff

Explorer
The marine stuff like Starboard would likely be the easiest and durable if you can bear the cost and weight. Good ply is hard to beat if you want lighter and lower cost.

plh

Explorer
The marine stuff like Starboard would likely be the easiest and durable if you can bear the cost and weight. Good ply is hard to beat if you want lighter and lower cost.

Starboard (HDPE) moves around a lot with temperature changes and is nearly impossible to bond with glue. I wouldn't recommend it for a primary interior build material.

rruff

Explorer
I'd add that humidity should not be an issue at all for good plywood... and I don't think anything will match the stiffness/weight for a shelf, unless it's a sandwich panel. Sandwich panels will be more work and money, but a good deal lighter.

billiebob

BALTIC BIRCH !!
Definitely the best.

Zero voids, impeccable finish. lightweight, machines easily. Looks great with a clear coat.

Tons of information out there if you google baltic birch.... a few build threads on this website too using baltic birch...
heres the first thing that came up under google for me.

PS, baltic birch machines, router or saw, beautifully. and once cut to shape it only needs a clear coat or two.
Ot has zero voids, there is nothing to fill, no voids to trap moisture. Cut it to shape, glue the parts together, finish... DONE.

Add up the cost of every other option and baltic birch is a best buy.

Last edited:

displacedtexan

BALTIC BIRCH !!
Definitely the best.

Zero voids, impeccable finish. lightweight, machines easily. Looks great with a clear coat.

Tons of information out there if you google baltic birch.... a few build threads on this website too using baltic birch...
heres the first thing that came up under google for me.

PS, baltic birch machines, router or saw, beautifully. and once cut to shape it only needs a clear coat or two.
Ot has zero voids, there is nothing to fill, no voids to trap moisture. Cut it to shape, glue the parts together, finish... DONE.

Add up the cost of every other option and baltic birch is a best buy.
Baltic Birch CAN be great stuff... But there are some low grade BB options out there. I've seen (and had) some that's pretty terrible.

But when it's good, it's GREAT! I use a ton of it for all kinds of stuff (I do high end remodel trim carpentry for a living.)

Another option, especially if you want paint grade stuff is MDO... It's used for signs and such. Kinda like MDF... Only impervious to water.

Cuts well, flat, straight, smooth, hard, VERY tough.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Even true BB/BB Baltic birch has its faults.

The days of having 100% void and error free Baltic Birch is behind us, unfortunately.
The pandemic hasn't helped. Production is down, and demand is as high as ever.
Like everything else, quality control has slipped, and cost is going up.

Pound for pound, the best ply you will find with proper, dependable quality control is a legit bs1088 okoume.
You just have to find it, and be prepared to pay for it when you do.

billiebob

One thing to always consider is weight. Compare the weight of a panel of the things you are considering. Some like OSB is 30% heavier than plywood. Most glued wood products like MDF/MDO are also excessively heavy. Some using less glue and more natural fibers like baltic birch are incredibly light. In boating weight IS a huge factor on performance, many marine products are a good choice to save weight.

dtruzinski

Explorer
I have built out a box for Fuso using 1x2 and 1x3 poplar with luan panels for wall coverings (some 1/2 ply for seats, seat backs, and bed base). It kept the weight down and was strong enough to survive my family and now is traveling around Europe with its new owner. The best part was that it was inexpensive.

I am starting an ambo build and will be using 1.5" 80/20 extruded aluminum for all structures. This stuff is crazy configurable and strong, but the price is insane right now!

Good luck with your build

Wiley556coyote

Plywood is a good combination of cheap, easy to work with, and durable. You need to decide how much you're willing to spend and how heavy you want it to be, the cheapest and worst is Luan or other interior plywood (the Luan I've used is interior, not sure if all of it is. The wood itself is fine its the glue that's different), somewhere in the middle is ACX plywood (same as CDX but with one "A" grade side that's pretty smooth) , and anything marine is going to be more $$$ but the most durable under seriously adverse conditions.

If it's inside your vehicle and you've figured out your condensation situation properly, I don't think you should have wet walls and ceilings in any climate. But, moisture is a fact and X or marine rated plywood products will not have a glue failure due to moisture. Marine plywood is a step up from that because the wood itself is also treated, but I don't think that's really necessary inside for anything besides a floor where you will stand on a daily basis with wet boots.

Last edited:

awheeler

I'm building ours with Coosa composite boards. I've only had a little time working with them as I am still waiting for my rig but so far so good. In a month or so I should have a way better idea. They are a fiberglass reinforced foam board.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles