Interior Build Out Questions for Composite Box Campers??

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Hey All

Researching info for my next build and lacking some info on how to mount cabinets and such to the composite panels.

I cant find anything on the subject of how to mate various materials to the composite panels.

Any links or info?

Thanks

Darwin

Explorer
No links because I am lazy but I believe Andreas from TotalComposites recommends using adhesives to attach things like cabinets and such.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
No links because I am lazy but I believe Andreas from TotalComposites recommends using adhesives to attach things like cabinets and such.

Correct. The recommended method is adhesive. Screws would create point loads , where a cabinet with the full back would spread the weight over a bigger area.

Pntyrmvr

Adventurer
Modern cabinets haven’t got much of a back. 1/4” Masonite or something like it. For the repetitive jarring a mobile wall mounted cabinet will have to endure I suggest 1”x4” strapping fitted into the top and bottom of the cabinet back side with construction adhesive and mechanical fasteners. Then bond the strapping to the composite wall.

"Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Thanks for the replies

I guess i cant wrap my head around having cabinets mounted with just adhesive.

Ill try to do some more research.

If anyone has any install links, what would be great

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Most unibody vehicles rely on adhesive to carry most of the loads between panels. Properly specced and used urethane adhesives are stronger than fasteners. This is triply true on composite panels, where point loading will delaminate the panel.

In many cases it is easier to bond wood strips or metal angle to the composite structure. Then attach the cabinets to these anchor points. Depending on how light the build target it, its not unusual to bond (or integrate) a 1/2-3/4" plywood floor into the structure. This is generally strong enough to attach much of the cabinetry to. If it can be planned far enough ahead, Tee nuts can be embedded into the plywood prior to the final floor panel layup. Otherwise properly designed wood screws can carry modest loads.

Last edited:

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Most unibody vehicles rely on adhesive to carry most of the loads between panels. Properly specced and used urethane adhesives are stronger the fasteners. This is triply true on composite panels, where point loading will delaminate the panel.

In many cases it is easier to bond wood strips or metal angle to the composite structure. Then attach the cabinets to these anchor points. Depending on how light the build target it, its not unusual to bond (or integrate) a 1/2-3/4" plywood floor into the structure. This is generally strong enough to attach much of the cabinetry to. If it can be planned for enough ahead, Tee nuts can be embedded into the plywood prior to the final floor panel layup. Otherwise properly designed wood screws can carry modest loads.

Awesome! That makes perfect sense!

Thank you!

I plan on using 8020 extrusions for the framing as well

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles