Interior build costs...

Jb1rd

Explorer
After doing a lot of noodling and doodling about how to build out a reasonably priced (read; MODEST) yet professional looking and more importantly functioning interior I have come to the conclusion that it is freaking ridiculously hard and unlikely to accomplish both goals. Looking at SMB pricing for the 50 layout for an E350EB is $32,856 for the basic package and does not include the roughly $10,000 more for the penthouse top. I came up with guestimate for this layout and going with a CCV top is right around $35,000 (incl the pop top) I know this is all very subjective and I realize that the biggest one-time expense (besides the van itself) is the top and that is relatively fixed, about $10,000 for either the SMB or the CCV, that being said, does $25k seem outrageous for a build out or is that just the way it is? I know there are a lot of variables so that is why I am sticking with a standard and reproducible configuration such as the 50 series from SMB, it just seems to offer the most versatility for my intended uses. I would love to hear what your experiences have been and if there is anyway to get the desired result without hemorrhaging completely?????? This is all being asked with the understanding that the majority of work is being done by someone else, mainly because I do not have the tools, time or skills to do the quality of work I would like.

Me and a friend bought, completely stripped down to the frame, and rebuilt a 66 aristocrat lo liner trailer.

All told, no labor cost, was about $15k. This was using marine ply floor, poplar framed walls, skinned inside with birch paneling, all poplar framed interior panels, with birch ply over the top. It re used all the metal trim (drilled 100's of nails to preserve the original trim). It got new outside skin, new roof vent/fan, new electrical, propane, water system (no heater, no black water) etc etc.

It took 3 months of 5 nights a week and both weekend days. And then another few days to button it up. It's pro. But we aren't pro builders, we're both mechanics/car restorers.

We will be doing my van interior soon. Not as lavish. I'm going to be using a set of poly liner walls from Adrian steel, build a nice platform rear bed (with under storage) and a driver side cabinet. Nothing crazy, just a weekender.

Long story short, $25k isn't bad if someone else is doing all the work and you're just dropping it off, and picking it up/cutting the check.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
For certain, costs add up FAST with anything custom.

Materials is one thing.

The research, tools, skills, patience, and willing to do it correctly the first time is something completely different.

Ill say that ANYBODY could tackle such a task, but if you lack the tools and skills, you will most certainly burn up any potential savings doing it yourself, in tool purchases, added labor and mistakes.

Many people are the type of people that can and do take on such a task, and I encourage EVERYONE to at least give something like this a go once in their life. Far too many people dont know the first thing about managing such a project, working with their hands, and maintaining such focus throughout such a project. A project like this is the perfect thing to make or break that.

You never know, you might find your calling.

Jb1rd

Explorer
I know it's apples and oranges but I just can't help but compare/contrast what I have spent remodeling my last two houses, the cost per square foot is so lopsided. Oh well, I suppose these are all very much FWP's and most certainly a labor of love.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Yeah, it seems ridiculous. I bought a brand new 33' camper and only paid 18k for the whole thing. Niche markets like this cater to limited clientele and expert that small customer base to make them successful and put their kids through college. Look at the prices for the M416 style build outs. Insane.

GHI

Adventurer
I went through a similar scenario a few years back and here is how I looked at it. I did not have the skills, patience, tools etc. to get the desired outcome in a build project. I did, however, have the availability to work as much overtime as needed to be able to pay someone else to do it. So I worked the extra hours doing what I know how to do thus allowing me to pay someone else to do what they know how to do.

I spent what I believe to be a ton of money on my van, but I haven't once regretted it.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
The aspect of you doing it yourself certainly holds a ton of water with regards to quality control as well, for the most part.

I've seen many jack jobs by so-called "experts"

Doing it yourself, you are more than likely going to be your biggest critic. (or perhaps the wife is? :coffeedrink:)

Either way, you certainly have more control over fit and finish.

Cost per square foot is actually very relative to say, custom homes.

Meaning that, as you go SMALLER, the cost per sq ft goes UP.

That simple thought is increased almost exponentially when you start talking about custom RVs/Expedition rigs.

here's some pics of the aforementioned trailer build. I hope we can do something 3/4 as good in my van.

5C86569E-0B05-4F6A-88A8-B282AFE9D7D0_zpsj6lycd6d.jpg

B79B35B7-08F2-4812-BAB5-F592265A18C1_zpscjicf2sa.jpg

62925ACE-D690-4B2C-B67F-7511C9855C05_zps968re7hi.jpg

Jb1rd

Explorer
Nice work on the trailer Village!! I have come to the conclusion that it is best not to think about it so much, serious brain damage has been known to occur!! It is hard to put a price on the smile that my van puts on my face and even harder to account for the social interaction that takes place just by driving it around as it is right now, it truly is dumbfounding how much attention that these rigs get. At this point in my build I am solely focusing on things that seem to be non-negotiable, such as spare battery and charging system, anything mechanical needed to keep the beast running smooth and happy, flooring, insulation/noise, and curtains/bug screens, everything else is on hold so I can build it once, the best that I can and hope that it is close to right.

Jb1rd

Explorer
$$$$ Saving ideas

I'm headed to Denver to help out a friend so going to take the opportunity to go to the RV junk yard :) and to also look at some bumper pull units that might make good parts donors, maybe I can pull enough parts to make it worth while then send the rest of it to the scraper?? Not really sure how it will shake out but if nothing, hopefully I will at least get some good ideas!!:sombrero:

VOODOO7.3

Adventurer
I know it's apples and oranges but I just can't help but compare/contrast what I have spent remodeling my last two houses, the cost per square foot is so lopsided. Oh well, I suppose these are all very much FWP's and most certainly a labor of love.

Jb1rd, I've done both. This might help others understand the difference. Residential cost per s.f. averages include large living areas with little to no mechanical elements in large rooms. Naturally, the cost/sf gets significantly higher for a kitchen or bathroom. Figure out cost per s.f. on a Swiss watch and it is astronomical! Van interior builds are most similar to re-building a boat interior. For a professional finish, almost all of the work has to be done with skilled hands since it's easy for an unskilled helper to run a drill bit/screw through your exterior/wiring/plumbing. One unplanned exterior hole/dent would require significant body work and re-painting the whole side of the van. Your house doesn't have curved studs, require special fastening for steel, and isn't bouncing down park trails/fire roads either. I've seen every level of interior finish and they all have their place for function/comfort levels. A company building interiors has a-lot of overhead to consider as well. It goes way beyond labor + materials. There's shop space, tool depreciation/damage, insurance, payroll/other taxes, accidents, support after the sale, etc. With most of these, we are all trying to pack as many things possible into the minimum space allowable. That adds time in multiples of 4-10. All specialty parts have to be carefully selected and ordered through 5-10 different sources(not local) making any returns another nightmare while you have a half assembled vehicle taking up valuable indoor real estate. The tools and materials for a build out take up a whole second shop bay! For the inexperienced, I like the previous suggestion of working overtime at the highest paying skill you have to pay someone who has experience building these. I equally enjoy watching some slowly build out their own vans developing some skills along the way. Like most things, too many people see something done in 5 minutes of Youtube video and think they'll do it in the same time with equal results! Hopefully, we're about to see a third pop-top option soon that may make their prices more competitive. Those do seem excessively priced to me for what actually goes into making them. Cheers!

Jb1rd

Explorer
Voodoo, believe me I know what you are saying, I owned (or I should say it owned me) a high end contracting company for many years, and the spectrum of price varies widely. I understand that specialty items are just that, and that niche markets drive their own price, however, building simple things like cabinets and welding brackets and such should not command such a premium just because it is going in a vehicle., RV, boat etc... Does scribing an end panel take time, absolutely but enough to justify charging 3-4 times more than a standard cabinet, I think not. With the recent surge in "#VANLIFE" enthusiast maybe an established company like Goose Gear could come out with an expandable line of product for vans and the E platform in particular, something that you could buy a piece at a time but know that it will integrate with the pieces you have already bought, and not have to buy the whole enchilada at once. As for the suggestion of working overtime to pay someone to do the job, well to be blunt, NO! I already work more than I want and what time I do have left I want to spend with my wife, family and friends, so something has to give and unfortunately right now it's the expectation of having everything I want, and the way I want it, and just focusing on what is needed to achieve the above goal of spend time with those I love and care about.

Voodoo, believe me I know what you are saying, I owned (or I should say it owned me) a high end contracting company for many years, and the spectrum of price varies widely. I understand that specialty items are just that, and that niche markets drive their own price, however, building simple things like cabinets and welding brackets and such should not command such a premium just because it is going in a vehicle., RV, boat etc... Does scribing an end panel take time, absolutely but enough to justify charging 3-4 times more than a standard cabinet, I think not. With the recent surge in "#VANLIFE" enthusiast maybe an established company like Goose Gear could come out with an expandable line of product for vans and the E platform in particular, something that you could buy a piece at a time but know that it will integrate with the pieces you have already bought, and not have to buy the whole enchilada at once. As for the suggestion of working overtime to pay someone to do the job, well to be blunt, NO! I already work more than I want and what time I do have left I want to spend with my wife, family and friends, so something has to give and unfortunately right now it's the expectation of having everything I want, and the way I want it, and just focusing on what is needed to achieve the above goal of spend time with those I love and care about.

well put.'

I've come to grips with my "conversion' not being as wild or in depth as id "like" it to be in my head.

I've not gone on a few trips because "the van isn't ready" when reality is, i can slam an air bed in the back and go camp just like i would off the back of my motorcycle, only out of the wind rain etc.

i have to go back to what the van was supposed to be for me "a steel tent" so today i started drawing up "plans" for simple in my head.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online