Interior bed length of Sprinter vs VW Eurovan

Norwest

Hi,

I am contemplating purchasing a 4WD Sprinter (short tall) to replace my aging VW Eurovan but have just come to the realization that the short sprinter is considerably shorter (external length=144") compared to my Eurovan (external length=188.5). In fact the long Sprinter is also shorter (external length=170"). Although I like the idea of having a shorter vehicle for rough road handling and parking I am concerned that I may be losing too much internal length. Does anyone have a sense of how much shorter the usable internal bed length of a sprinter is compared to a Eurovan?

Norwest

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
The most important thing to pass on is that Sprinters are not shorter. You're comparing the wheelbases (144" and 170") to the Eurovan length. The three Sprinter lengths are nominally 19.5, 23 and 24.5 feet. The 19.5 works like a normal (big) vehicle. The 170" is not hard to drive, but you're no longer going to park it normally.

No idea on the Eurovan space, but depending on when you start measuring, figure ten to eleven feet of space behind the front seats of the Sprinter. Width, because of the highly curved sidewalls, varies with height off the load floor, but it'll generally be in the 5.5 foot range.

Two other considerations . . . First, the passenger seat can be had with a swivel that makes that seat essentially part of the living quarters; we have someone in that seat a lot of the time. Second, the big difference will, I suspect, come from having standing height under the steel roof of the van. Getting to wander around at full height is a really nice thing.

Norwest

Mike,

Thanks for the clarification, I was comparing apples and oranges. The VW length is total length and as you kindly pointed out the sprinter length listed on the MB site is wheelbase length. It did not register in my tired feeble brain that 144" total length would make the short sprinter only 12 feet long :drool:. The short sprinter being 19.5 feet long makes more sense and should be plenty long for my needs. Maybe I can even jam my 16" sea kayak inside the sprinter.

Thank you,

Norwest

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
The short sprinter being 19.5 feet long makes more sense and should be plenty long for my needs. Maybe I can even jam my 16" sea kayak inside the sprinter.
I didn't have a 16 foot kayak available ;) but my guess is that the 170" would work for your kayak, but that the 144" will come up a little short. There'd be--again, depending on where you measure things--about 3.5 feet available between the front seats prior to running the bow into cockpit plastic. Combined with the 10.5 foot long cargo floor, you're at about 14 feet in the 144, but the 30" longer floor of the 170 seems like it would get you enough.

But then you're looking at over 274" of overall length. (For reference, a Ford Super Duty crew cab with the long 8 foot bed looks to be about a foot less.)

Good luck planning this out. Sprinters can be pretty sweet trucks in the right application.

Cole

Expedition Leader
:victory:I Well, I own both so maybe this will help.

This is my 2004 "T1N" 158" Sprinter with my 2002 Eurovan Weekender. The Sprinter has 14' behind the seats while the Eurovan is only 15' total!! So it would almost fit inside!

14201971865_d8f78a1294_b_d.jpg

14015353660_e9b064fd24_b_d.jpg

Cole

Expedition Leader
Keep in mind that mine is the "old" body style that is shorter in every dimension than the newer ones! Narrower, shorter in height and length!

Here it is next to. 170" ( and mine is on 6" larger tires)

14487606299_611db7e8b9_b_d.jpg

Cole

Expedition Leader
Here is some food for thought! A Sprinter next to a Eurovan Rialta motor home!

9493906723_c82b036457_b_d.jpg

Cole

Expedition Leader
Eurovan next to a 144" NVC3(newer) Sprinter. Note the roof height is a "Low roof" on this Sprinter! (With a Poptop that is nearly pointless on a Sprinter) It still towers over a Eurovan! Something to think about. A Eurovan will fit in a normal garage, a Sprinter won't, even with the low roof!

8794662774_e4a13aabb4_b_d.jpg

8784087639_15d9529705_b_d.jpg

Last edited:

Cole

Expedition Leader
Alright, one more set.

The 2015 4x4 Sprinter will also sit 3-4" higher than a 2wd version.

This is a short wheelbase current Sprinter, low roof, poptop next to the long wheelbase Winnebgo Eurovan full camper.

9493895577_ea4fe0f5e7_b_d.jpg

9493894701_c13682efae_b_d.jpg

9496694052_a4b6fee395_b_d.jpg

Last edited:

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Really useful photos, Cole. Thanks.

It seems like most of the attention my Sprinter campers got came from owners of converted Eurovans. Regular motorhome owners thought the Sprinters incredibly cramped and tiny, but the Westy owners were usually agog at all the extra space.

Cole

Expedition Leader
Really useful photos, Cole. Thanks.

It seems like most of the attention my Sprinter campers got came from owners of converted Eurovans. Regular motorhome owners thought the Sprinters incredibly cramped and tiny, but the Westy owners were usually agog at all the extra space.

Thanks. It's easier to understand the size difference when you can see it.

They really are on complete different scales. Totally different vehicles in many ways. I think the similar looks make people think they are more similar than they are.

P1090397.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles