Interesting Portable Chain Saw

alanymarce

"Bow saws don't take up much space" - you're usually carrying other stuff and every item contributes to the overall space and weight. The "wire saw" is a tenth of the weight and 100th of the space required (guessing at these ratios, however even if they're not quite right, the "wire saw" is a lot lighter and smaller...). In our last 140,000 Km overland we've had to cut up trees across the road only four times (actually five, however there was already someone there with a powered chain saw, so we just observed/applauded). On a risk basis, carrying a bow saw to reduce the time to cut up the trees would have been a poor investment in space, weight, and cost.

uncompromise

Adventurer
"Bow saws don't take up much space" - you're usually carrying other stuff and every item contributes to the overall space and weight. The "wire saw" is a tenth of the weight and 100th of the space required (guessing at these ratios, however even if they're not quite right, the "wire saw" is a lot lighter and smaller... On a risk basis, carrying a bow saw to reduce the time to cut up the trees would have been a poor investment in space, weight, and cost.

I agree with this rationale. We've owned one of these hand saws for years, and it gets used infrequently enough that the trade off in ease of use vs a bow saw is more than made up for by size and weight. Ultimately it depends on the route you're driving. When I was living in Australia and driving in the bush, we carried a bowsaw. In California we switched to the hand saw. In France, based upon the driving we've done so far, it's unlikely we'll need to switch back up to anything more heavy duty.

SBSYNCRO

Original link seems broken. Now I’m curious about this “portable chain saw”...

Assuming it is something like this?

I’ve always thought of my 14” Echo as “portable”... but not as portable, I suppose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roving1

"Bow saws don't take up much space" - you're usually carrying other stuff and every item contributes to the overall space and weight. The "wire saw" is a tenth of the weight and 100th of the space required (guessing at these ratios, however even if they're not quite right, the "wire saw" is a lot lighter and smaller...). In our last 140,000 Km overland we've had to cut up trees across the road only four times (actually five, however there was already someone there with a powered chain saw, so we just observed/applauded). On a risk basis, carrying a bow saw to reduce the time to cut up the trees would have been a poor investment in space, weight, and cost.

I could not travel 500km in spring on about half the forest roads in North America w/o cutting 20 trees. I have never gone on a multi day trip anywhere that is forested and not had to saw something down or pull something off the trail with the vehicle at least once. I guess its all relative to where you travel.

alanymarce

I could not travel 500km in spring on about half the forest roads in North America w/o cutting 20 trees. I have never gone on a multi day trip anywhere that is forested and not had to saw something down or pull something off the trail with the vehicle at least once. I guess its all relative to where you travel.
Absolutely. In our "big trips" (about 150,000 Km so far) we've had to cut up trees across the track four times: once in Misiones Province, Argentina, 3 times in Nyika Plateau, Malawi (on one track). We've also had our route blocked once on the Osa Peninsula, Costa Rica, however by the time we arrived someone else was sorting it out with a chain saw - our wire saw would not have handled this. I've also had to deal with fallen trees in Congo, and had a machete at the time - the wire saw would have worked, although it would have taken somewhat longer... So (including only the "big trips") we have needed a wire saw less than once every 40,000 Km. Overall (47 years travelling in "interesting" places) we have needed to cut up trees only half a dozen times; and we would have needed something more than a wire saw only once... I've driven a lot of forestry roads in North America and never had to deal with a fallen tree - please keep trailblazing for us.

geoffff

Observer
I tried an electric chain saw (a little Ryobi one), but the chain oil eventually leaked all over the place - making a big mess. I now carry a sawzall.

robert

Expedition Leader
I typically keep one of the smaller bow/hack saw things in the back of my truck for small jobs but I also have one of the folding triangular style bow saws that packs into itself. I've thought about buying a Silky saw but what I've got works. Not a fan of those chainsaw style saws, too much back and forth on my bad shoulder. If I'm going some place I expect I may need to clear the trail or gather firewood I just carry my chainsaw.

robert

Expedition Leader
The triangular shape of the Sven limits the amount the blade can travel and it gets worse the larger the diameter as the body of the saw can only go so far before contacting the piece being cut. You can get the in several sizes but the bow saw, due to it's rounded frame can cut larger pieces. I'm generally not cutting anything of any size unless I really have to, I'm lazy that way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94