Interesting Land Rover Defender

Viggen

Just here...
100inch.jpg

Defender100.JPEG

Apparently its a 'Defender 100.' A Defender put onto a Disco 1 chassis. Any information on this? I like it. The 100 of the D1 is the perfect length in my opinion.

oonimog

Adventurer
It is interesting and kinda cool but I'd like it better if the rear wheel arch matched the front. What makes 100" WB the perfect length?

Wander

Expedition Leader
I think it would be better as a 3 door than a 5 door. The wheel arch cut in the back doors look like getting in and out of the back might be ackward and if you have a 5 door Defender there is probably a real need to use the back doors.

Viggen

Just here...
I like the 100" wheelbase because its easier to manuever and theres less overhang. This was a factory thing and was supplied to the Swiss Army I think. Ive been looking and there have been a couple made using Disco chassis'. Thats pretty awesome.

I agree about the rear wheelwell though. Flattened out it would look a little better. I guess the shape of the rear door facilitated the need for a round arch? A three door version of this would be awesome and sitting on the Disco frame would eliminate some of the frame rot issues.

Nonimouse

Cynical old bastard
THose are piccies of two of the very, very rare 100" prototypes built by LR as part of a request from the Swiss army back in the late 70's

KingSlug

Observer
The RoverHybrids D100 is Craig Reece's of PlantDrive. Craig is a really standup guy, I bought a D90 POE top and roof rack from him. He lives in Berkeley CA. I had several long conversations with him over his D100, and the work Shane performed.

http://www.plantdrive.com/

Jared

Viggen

Just here...
The Rover Hybrids one looks like it was just a stretched out Defender frame. I think using the Disco frame would be awesome under a Defender body.

BriansFJ

Adventurer
I love Defenders, in a bad way. Given the rarity of NAS rigs that can be licensed in the U.S., I wonder if it would be possible to take a U.S.-legal Disco and drop a sourced Defender body onto it, to get that Defender "feel" but with the stock Disco running gear... Any lawyers comment on if we could get away with that?:26_7_2:

lake_bueller

Observer
I love Defenders, in a bad way. Given the rarity of NAS rigs that can be licensed in the U.S., I wonder if it would be possible to take a U.S.-legal Disco and drop a sourced Defender body onto it, to get that Defender "feel" but with the stock Disco running gear... Any lawyers comment on if we could get away with that?:26_7_2:

Anything is possible. I believe you could still have it titled as a Discovery. You'd probably have some "replacement" issues if you were in an accident. But it's not any different than those morons that put Camaro bodies on jack-up 4X4 trucks:smiley_drive:

I've already determined that I WILL do this. It's only a matter of when. At first blush, the fabrication isn't that difficult. Motor mount adjustment and some cutting/welding/grinding.

lake_bueller

Observer
I've been doing a little more research. It seems that there are a few schools of thought to making a hybrid Rover. Some are chopping the tub and roof from a 109" body and adapting it to a RRC/Disco frame. The other is to shorten or lengthen the frame. Shorten for a 88" body or lengthen for a 109" body.

All methods have their pros and cons. I'd personally like to keep the 100" wheelbase or stretch to 109". Now if I could only find the information for the 109" body that was for sale about 1 1/2 from my house:snorkel:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94