Interesting heating option for RTT.

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
Neat, creative idea,

How much would this weigh and thus how easy would it be to hang from a regular tent roof? You would not want it falling on you.?

Mostly though, it’s that venting pipe that looks a bit iffy to me.

You would definitely want to also carry a small, battery powered CO detector to use inside the tent with you.

roving1

Cool ideal but I'm not buying in the slightest it would be hard to make a working prototype of this without needing funding. Maybe a working consumer grade prototype but the fact they have nothing real to show is a bit of a bummer.

Lownomore

Cool ideal but I'm not buying in the slightest it would be hard to make a working prototype of this without needing funding. Maybe a working consumer grade prototype but the fact they have nothing real to show is a bit of a bummer.

That's what they need it for.

last section on the linked page said:
Why do we need your help?
As you can see our prototype is in a proof of concept stage. We need more funding to develop and test a production grade prototype.
Money will be spent for:
  • 3D printing
  • injection molding
  • hiring industrial designer
  • testing in a climate chamber
  • product certification

Interesting product, I'm curious.

shade

Proof of concept looked like renders to me I did not see anything real.
The only thing real appears to be someone else's YouTube video of the principle in action. If they want support, they'll need to cobble something together. It doesn't have to be pretty, but it has to demonstrate that their design has merit.

roving1

The only thing real appears to be someone else's YouTube video of the principle in action. If they want support, they'll need to cobble something together. It doesn't have to be pretty, but it has to demonstrate that their design has merit.
Exactly.

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I’m not convinced it would work all that well. Their statement essentially says it will be a hot lamp, and the intent is actually to heat all of the surfaces, including your sleeping bag.

I’m not sure that trying to heat something designed to insulate will be effective.

I’m not sure that trying to heat something typically made from very temperature sensitive materials will work... melted nylon burns are probably not fun.

I’m not sure I’m willing to pay a butane cylinder per night to be warm.

I wonder how many people will have RTT fires as a result of something like this?

How many RTT fires are there now? Anyone hear of one?

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
I’m not convinced it would work all that well. Their statement essentially says it will be a hot lamp, and the intent is actually to heat all of the surfaces, including your sleeping bag.

I’m not sure that trying to heat something designed to insulate will be effective.

I’m not sure that trying to heat something typically made from very temperature sensitive materials will work... melted nylon burns are probably not fun.

I’m not sure I’m willing to pay a butane cylinder per night to be warm.

I wonder how many people will have RTT fires as a result of something like this?

How many RTT fires are there now? Anyone hear of one?

Not sure (ref: RTT fires). But, since we're a textile company and produce products across the outdoor/Overland/offroad/LE/SF/ES spectrum our insurance company (manufacturing) will not issue a policy to produce anything that a human will sleep in. Based on conversations with them, it appears there is notable risk/liability when producing something that people sleep in, eat in, climb into, inhabit, cook in, climb out of, etc. Not mention the known characteristics of the textiles used. I can't even imagine the potential slip and fall issues when it comes to RTT's. Being a gear designer, I admire all the people createding new products for this industry and wish them the best of luck, but also use caution.

Last edited:

Mgyver1

Observer
Not sure (ref: RTT fires). But, since we're a textile company and produce products across the outdoor/Overland/offroad/LE/SF/ES spectrum our insurance company (manufacturing) will not issue a policy to produce anything that a human will sleep in. Based on conversations with them, it appears there is notable risk/liability when producing something that people sleep in, eat in, climb into, inhabit, cook in, climb out of, etc. Not mention the known characteristics of the textiles used. I can't even imagine the potential slip and fall issues when it comes to RTT's. Being a gear designer, I admire all the people createding new products for this industry and wish them the best of luck, but also use caution.
And yet to comply with these insurance requirements to make tents fire resistant, they coat them with chemicals that give us cancer.

JaSAn

Grumpy Old Man
Irregardless of its technical feasibility, I don't think I would want a red hot firebox with a flamethrower above it suspended over me while I sleep.

Reactions: plh

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Portable Planar diesel heater . Dry hot, air. Easy to control temperature while being in your tent. They are super fuel efficient and only need a very minimal amount of Amps.

Attachments

• IMG_0837.jpg
    IMG_0837.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0846.jpg
    IMG_0846.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0835.jpg
    IMG_0835.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 49

Forum statistics

Threads