Integrated vs non integrated

jim65wagon

When shopping for a winch is it preferable to have a non-integrated solenoid or integrated? I see some winches give you a choice (ala Superwinch EP or EPi).
Is one style superior to the other?
Does it matter?
Which would you prefer?

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
I've had nothing but a good experience with my XD9000i but if I were to do it again I'd get the non-integrated XD9000. Mount the solenoids up and under the hood. Protects them a little more and easier to repair them when they go bad, and they will.....
Jason T.

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
A first question is what fits better in your mounting system? Some winch mounts can't fit the integrated solenoid.

One small benefit with non-integrated is that you can mount the solenoid under the hood for protection and to keep the extra weight over or behind the wheels.

Pete

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
As other have pointed out it really just comes down to the mounting, both use the exact same solenoids. As shown the plus with the non-integrated is the ability to remote mount the solenoids, the plus with the integrated is everything is secure and the power line runs are short and protected.

offroad_nomad

Adventurer
I put my Warn XD9000 solenoid in the engine compartment above the passenger wheel well.
Winch1.jpg

spressomon

Expedition Leader
offroad_nomad said:
I put my Warn XD9000 solenoid in the engine compartment above the passenger wheel well.
Winch1.jpg

Same here with my Warn 9.5xp. I didn't have room within the bumper cavity for an integrated style winch/solenoid combo. Plus I liked the idea of getting the solenoid mounted up higher with more protection from water.

Jason T. said:
Really? I didn't know that. Why do they hold more line?
Jason T.

The integrated winch does not have the 2 crossbars over the drum and instead, uses a superstructure. It is the space under that superstructure that is larger than the non-integrated winches where the crossbars limit the space over the drum. I went to the Warn site and pulled down a couple of images for you. Look at the construction of both and compare and you will see what I am talking about.

9.5XP non-integrated
68500.jpg

9.5Si integrated
si_winch_2a.jpg

jim65wagon

Thanks for the info everyone;
as an FYI I'm thinking for my purposes the integrated would be the choice. Since I don't have a winch bumper and it is the daily ride, I'm going the front receiver route, with the front/rear connections. I know it's not the strongest choice, but; I don't wheel extreme, it'll be there if I need it, I can switch it to the rear receiver as needed, and I can remove it during the week.

RoundOut

Explorer
A benefit of the route you are choosing is to be able to use the power connection ports for jumper cables, too.

86cj

Explorer
robert j. yates said:
The integrated winch does not have the 2 crossbars over the drum and instead, uses a superstructure. It is the space under that superstructure that is larger than the non-integrated winches where the crossbars limit the space over the drum. I went to the Warn site and pulled down a couple of images for you. Look at the construction of both and compare and you will see what I am talking about.

9.5XP non-integrated
68500.jpg

9.5Si integrated
si_winch_2a.jpg

Have you guys seen any difference in strength of the housings on the two winch styles??

I just wonder if a winch ever breaks the housing or is it a non issue...

I am looking at choosing between those two Warn 9500lb winches right now......Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94