Intech RV

hrmm.. mebe I wont be mounting my genset to that.. even though the genset is less than 50lbs.. so far only thing Ive used it for is tying the dogs up to the shackle I put on it.

I have not read anywhere on the Intech owners group of a failure of the receiver with a basket of fire firewood, coolers or light genset. The only reported failures I seen have been bike racks that were not designed for use with a travel trailer. But then again DaveinDenver has a point. It’s a gamble with a known receiver design failure that Intech is offering to correct.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
People don’t realize that Aluminum is very intolerant of stress the soft steal trailers are far superior in that regard. They might bend but they never crack and simply break/fail. That rear hitch isn’t good for much other than some kind of camp appliance installed in camp and removed while on the road.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
The connection isn't well designed. It could be reinforced (perhaps a steel cap or very thick aluminum) but the base metal in the cross member is obviously failing and adding material is band-aid.

dreadlocks

yeah I'd be questioning any trailer receiver is good enough for a bike rack, and inverse if any bike rack is good enough for a trailer receiver.. there's so much dynamic load w/a multi bike carrier its absurd.. Ive casually watched bikes mounted on the back of a trailer and they move around far more than they do on the back of a vehicle.. think a couple factors at play, how far the load is from the rear axle is much greater on a trailer, then you have the trailer acting as a giant lever pivoting at the axle(s).. both combined provide far more vertical movement than would be experienced on the rear of a vehicle.

That’s it.

My understanding is total weight on my receiver is not to exceed 200#. So 2 bikes @30# and a bike rack say 40# = 100#. Per Intech 200# rating I am 100# below max. Our Trek 920’s were $2k each. I just can’t risk loosing two awesome bikes, and the liability or worse yet someone getting hurt if the receiver fails. Promise I am not trying to beat a dead horse. Intech is doing all they can to beef up the receiver mount. I will wait and see how the new mount that I have works for others. I don’t think this new design will survive the “bounce” dynamics going on behind the trailer. In the Tundra bed the bikes will travel.

dreadlocks

2018 Labor Day weekend I ran over a bike in the middle of 285 on the traffic home.. got lucky and front passenger tire caught it as I swerved and sent the mangled corpse of a bike flying off into the ditch. I bet someone was real sad when they got home and realized they had lost their bike.. I was super nervous what damage I'd find, I had to pull over at next opportunity, was very relieved half of my bumper was not hanging off or something.. luckily no damage was sustained.

at least on the back of your car/truck you can keep an eye on it, on the back of a trailer.. even if everything was overengineered well enough I was confident to ride em back there.. I'd have a camera watching em.

Last edited:

dreadlocks

yeah I'm now thinking of going and getting some angle iron and fabricating a side mount for my genset.. id rather it be before the fender anyhow, wouldn't have to take it off to unload the toys, which we usually want to do before deploying the beds as the motorbikes and pedal bikes make it a bit difficult to setup.. my Discover did not get steel fender guards like the little ones did, so I could instead design the generator platform to deflect the errant road cone... eventually I want to rip the fenders off all together and put something a bit more sturdy on it w/mudflaps, could integrate the gen platform into that later.. but I need to build my workshop first.

Carry all our gear including my Honda 3000eu genset, Weber 1200q grill and a Yeti Tundra Haul cooler right in the back of my Tundra Platinum Crewmax with room to spare even maybe for (2) bicycles.You may want to consider a real tow vehicle instead of a “little car” for more room. :ROFLMAO:

dreadlocks

uh I've got 6 passengers and nearly the same towing capacity (7700#).. those lil yotas aint gonna hang.. I get better fuel economy towing than you get in the city heh.. mine's only a car when I deflate the airbags and wanna play on some pavement, I bet yah when I crank the bags up to full I'd rival your ground clearance.. plus I'm boosted so my vehicle dont suck up here at altitude.

Ive got a big intech for a reason, to haul cargo.. I just want genset outside, locked to the trailer so I can run it there, and leave it unattended.. I got room to carry a dozen gensets and then some inside my trailer, dont mean I wanna.

Wanna play a game of tug-of-war? :ROFLMAO: my "car" has 430ft lb by 1800rpm and a few more gears at its disposal.

Last edited:

dreadlocks

Its a 5k pound vehicle, and there's an air-stream company in Canada called Can-Am that regularly modifies the stock receiver hitch to support a weight distribution setup and then pull around 10klb campers, they been doing it for a decade+.. the only technical limitation preventing me from towing 10klbs is they dont use WD hitches in Europe and the drop down design is not made for the forces.. can you pull 10klbs w/out using a WD hitch? European SUVs tow ratings are much higher than any domestic or asian counterparts.. IIRC the new defender has 9klb.

I share the same chassis with this vehicle:

anyway, my vehicle tows like a dream and will tow my much larger and higher rated trailer just dandy all the way up to the trailers max capacity.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior