Intech Explore build

WahooJeep

Observer
I decided to upgrade from my home built M101a2 trailer to a 2020 Intech Explore. Brought it home Wednesday and first mod was adding solar. Two Renogy 100w panels on the roof, VictronConnect controller, and two AGM batteries.
c8e3ee0fc125565a713594b93c0f0082.jpg
0f09de07f83afa8f0413c4f2f2799fa7.jpg
f55dd77c04ecccbaa27ab7c3e4cc9e58.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WahooJeep

Observer
Took a quick weekend trip to work out some bugs. On my issue list. 1. Find a quieter heat source. Stock heat is unbearable when trying to sleep. 2. Find some way to utilize the interior of the ramp door for storage while still being able to use it as a ramp. 3. Improve the stock mattress.
c22360d9649a41bfede731dcbb0a6b07.jpg
e2a8f7f6e70f6a05d6ab218d0e6f0c5e.jpg
e42f2185e40e7c2d3925909e2da829fd.jpg

dreadlocks

were you trying to use the heatstrips in the AC? yeah those are terrible just use a normal space heater.. I got a wall mount one just so I didnt have to find a place to store it, but the added bonus its on own circuit.

WahooJeep

Observer
were you trying to use the heatstrips in the AC? yeah those are terrible just use a normal space heater.. I got a wall mount one just so I didnt have to find a place to store it, but the added bonus its on own circuit.
Yeah, I was trying to use the heat strip. It was loud, and baked me.

Did you use a ceramic heater, or oil filled? Any problems when running off a generator?

dreadlocks

Ive got a ceramic PTC, if you wanted ultimate silence an oil filled radiator would work really well.. just get an analogue one w/out digital controlls so it will come back on after a power outage..

Ive never ran mine off generator, that would be too much noise because it'd be running full blast to provide 1500W (max you'll find for 120v).. its only for when I've got mains power.. ive got a propex hs2800 and a wave 6 for boondocking, I run the propex 24/7 and the wave at night to supplement and reduce electrical needs.

WahooJeep

Observer
Ive got a ceramic PTC, if you wanted ultimate silence an oil filled radiator would work really well.. just get an analogue one w/out digital controlls so it will come back on after a power outage..

Ive never ran mine off generator, that would be too much noise because it'd be running full blast to provide 1500W (max you'll find for 120v).. its only for when I've got mains power.. ive got a propex hs2800 and a wave 6 for boondocking, I run the propex 24/7 and the wave at night to supplement and reduce electrical needs.
I was looking at the Wave 3, do you think I need the 6 for a single tip out?

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Took a quick weekend trip to work out some bugs. On my issue list. 1. Find a quieter heat source. Stock heat is unbearable when trying to sleep. 2. Find some way to utilize the interior of the ramp door for storage while still being able to use it as a ramp. 3. Improve the stock mattress.
c22360d9649a41bfede731dcbb0a6b07.jpg
e2a8f7f6e70f6a05d6ab218d0e6f0c5e.jpg
e42f2185e40e7c2d3925909e2da829fd.jpg

I put two 2inch REI inflatable pads under our typical 3 inch foam padding. Huge!!!! Improvement! If you have a inflatable camp pad try tossing it under the stock one. Might be all you need.

dreadlocks

Probably not, the 6 by its self will keep my bigger double tip out warm for most of the time with reflectix insulation in the popout.. it starts falling a short on edges of seasons when it gets down into single digits outside but I'm also high altitude so none of this stuff outputs full BTU for me either.. YMMV.. I didn't get the biggest wave because I was afraid that its lowest setting would still be too high.. I always intended it to be secondary/supplemental heat tho, not my main source like propex.. I did a few trips w/just the Wave and one night cooked our selfs out it got so hot.. and I dont like leaving it unsupervised, especially with kids and dog occupants.. but it outputs really nice radiant heat and dont take any electricity.. its like our lil fireplace and we'll set our chairs up infront to warm up and drink if we're not allowed a real fire.. I throw my clothes on ground infront of it before bed so they all super toasty in the morning.

My dual heater strategy turned out really well, neither would do all that great on its own.. my propex alone runs most of the night with the popouts, almost never shutting off but only like once an hour for 15-20mins with the Wave on low.. but wave on high outputs alot of condensation, does not circulate all that great (still hadda run a fan to warm up popout) and has no thermostat so your getting out of bed to turn it up/down if you didnt pick the right one before getting in bed.

Last edited:

TrueGritCruzr

I just picked up a 2020 Explore and camped in it two nights. Have subscribed to your thread and will contribute a couple of ideas I came up with. Got a cargo retainer bar to hold stuff in place on the lower shelf.

I have a Little Buddy propane heater I plan to use for heat.

Other than that I am playing catch up.

a95cdffbb4e13d3fc2079b0b51083c1f.jpg

fa2e8e1e18d1b066c3306a05dee146ec.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dreadlocks

yeah i got a couple of those cargo bars too for keeping gear in place.. hadda get the really long ones for moving trucks and cut em down a lil bit, normal truck bed width ones were too skinny for mine.

I never trusted the buddy heater to sleep w/it, and it was a PITA to get running at altitude.. consider upgrading to a Wave heater, its night and day better.

Agfadoc

I have a big and small buddy heater and they work but I would only run them prior to bed, and when I wake up. Yes they do condensate, but my 2018 didn't come fitted for an LP tank and I am just running off of bottles for now, which sucks, with a plan to put in a Wave, (Maybe Propex someday)

What mounts for LP did you use? Is that a Stomberg?

I see the 2020 units use a different rack and the Dometic AC now, they also moved the external ports back over to the driver side, which is good IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94