Insurance recommendations?

Boondox

Hi All,

We are getting a Quadvan conversion done. I should probably be wearing depends as I am occasionally peeing myself when I think about it. Since the van will be worth quite a bit more when done we want to upgrade the insurance to reflect the value. I know that some insurance companies (Geico being one) will not insure a cargo van being used as a camper. I am hesitant to just ask our current insurer (Mercury) as they may give us the boot. Anyone out there have an insurance company they would recommend in this situation?

Thanks!

Mxkutch

Observer
State Farm insured my 2002 7.3 UJ conversion for 80,000 after USAA told me they would only insure it for 6k plus 5k of add ons.

Who knows how it’ll work if I file a claim but it was easy enough to do. I sent pictures and two comparable vehicles for sale. After about a month they asked if 80k was enough and I signed the paperwork.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boondox

As it happens I did call State Farm. For around $700 a year we can get comprehensive and 60k value for the van. I was very clear that it is a DIY conversion of a cargo van. All they wanted was receipts for major expenses and photos inside and out.

4000lbsOfGoat

Another vote for State Farm. They've treated us really well for many years. I was told that as long as I can show receipts, anything that is permanently attached to the rig is covered by the auto policy. Anything that is not permanently attached is covered by my renters policy.

motovan_mn

One more vote for State Farm. Haven't had to use them yet but were agreeable to whatever value I told them the van was worth as long as we could provide photos. They didn't ask for receipts.

Haven't had to actually USE the insurance yet...

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
I have had 2 major vehicle total losses in the last 10 years. One due to flood and one due to fire.

Both were insured by State Farm on their "Agreed Value" collector vehicle insurance policies. Full immediate payment on both for the loss.

Once again these were Collector Vehicles on State Farm collector vehicle policies. Certainly different that a late model vehicle on a "Actual Cash Value" based policy which is what is issued for daily driver/late model vehicle policies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94