Insurance on Imported RV?

ajamesr

Does anyone have experience on getting full coverage on an imported RV? Mine came from Japan, so it doesn't have the standard American vin number: it only has 12 digits instead of 17. So my insurance (Progressive) says they will give me the required liability insurance but won't cover the cost of replacement. I'm going to have close to $40k into this thing when all is said and done, and really would hate to hit a patch of black ice or something and loose everything.

Also on a customized and rare RV, how does insurance determine value? They can't exactly just look up Kelly Blue Book. I'm hoping some of you who have been doing this longer than me have some experience with this type of stuff.

Thanks.

ajamesr

Go with an insurer like Gulf Coast, that specializes in unusual vehicles.
That sounds like the type of company I need, but when I search for "Golf Coast Insurance" I find a ton of companies with that name, do you have a link?

Czechsix

Watching you from a ridge
That sounds like the type of company I need, but when I search for "Golf Coast Insurance" I find a ton of companies with that name, do you have a link?
My mistake, getting old and forgetful stinks, let me tell ya. It was Gulfway. http://www.racensur.com/programs.html

Good luck with it, check out their collector truck insurance. I'm sure there are others, I think best place to check would be race forums, MVPA, and it couldn't hurt to dig through a Hemmings either.

kerry

Expedition Leader
When I owned a motorhome in the UK but resided in the USA, I had trouble finding insurance. Eventually I discovered a company which specialized in insuring vehicles of diplomats. Maybe works for you too?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne