Insurance for slide in campers

Ramdough

Adventurer
Anyone know what the approximate cost is for a slide in camper insurance? Where did you get it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

grantfurness

Wherever you get your car insurance can do it. Good Sam & a couple others have rv specific insurance. It’s usually really cheap because you don’t need liability coverage on it.

tacollie

Glamper
$10 a month added to our car insurance for our FWC. Right now we have Allstate but it was similar when we had USAA.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
In Canada you insure the truck. The camper is considered freight/ load and is covered under the truck insurance. You can of course buy extra insurance for the camper.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
In Canada you insure the truck. The camper is considered freight/ load and is covered under the truck insurance. You can of course buy extra insurance for the camper.

This was true for my last three Lance TC’s in the US.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Before you do anything, pull out a copy of your policy on the truck. Assuming you have comprehensive and collision insurance on the truck, look at the inclusions and exclusions. Often times, "accessories" are covered up to a specific dollar amount. As long as the dollar amount of accessory coverage would cover the replacement cost of the camper, you should be fine (unless there is a specific exclusion for campers.)

Otherwise, yes, call your insurance company. You should have in mind a value for the camper (whether it's bought or built) and ask what it would cost to have that additional amount of 'accessory' coverage added to your truck insurance.

Dirt Rider

The hard part is finding someone at the insurance company with a brain in their head, at the risk of sounding sexist the bimbo at my insurance company could not wrap her head around the concept, "You want to do what?" Still not sure if I am actually covered..Rant over

larryqp

Full-time RVer
FYI- When I worked with my insurance company after a total loss of truck and camper, I was glad I had a RV policy on my FWC Eagle. The way they settled the claim was that they found 3 comparative slide in campers, similar age, size, options, that were for sale by contacting dealersand then we negotiated a settlement. That might be a problem for you with a DIY build. Be upfront with them and get everything in writing. You also will want to document every nickel you spent building the unit. I had to produce receipts and photos of any modifications I made, such as solar panels, compressor refrigerator. I have my coverage thru Good Sam $284 a year. The other consideration is that my truck policy didn't cover add ons, or personal property the camper policy did, for example, I had to replace my Cpap machine and the RV policy replaced it, the truck policy would not have. The Cpap cost me $450, I purchased a new one and submitted a receipt and they paid it under the personal property section of the policy.

BRHolt

Be careful. When I was looking for a policy for the truck and camper I was told by numerous agents that yes, the camper would be covered as freight. I asked them if I was hauling a $20,000 Grand Piano and got in an accident if they would cover it. They would hem and haw and then admit they wouldn't (turned out there was a limit buried in the fine print).

I got a separate rider from an insurance company that knows what a truck camper is so their is no question.

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
My 2000 Northstar TC800 was about $10-15 a year when new through AAA when new.
They won't touch it now as the value is so low.

mobydick 11

OP question was a slide in . If its covered as freight all good . But what about when he takes it off the truck ,and a tree falls on it in the backyard ?

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
OP question was a slide in . If its covered as freight all good . But what about when he takes it off the truck ,and a tree falls on it in the backyard ?
The last time I noticed my camper does slide in same as the prior owner with a FWC. Mine was regarded as an accessory by AAA when they would insure it. I had a California record of title and a sticker out back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles