Insurance for hard side truck campers

TGK

I'm considering purchasing an F350 and a hard side camper Interested in getting input from owners regarding their experience with insuring their hard side truck camper, as well as state registration. Any companies that standout? Also, I'm an Oregon resident and even though the camper rides in the bed of the truck, it's my understanding that it classified as a "motorhome" for registration purposes meaning I have to not only register the truck but also the truck camper. If it truly was a "motorhome", I'd only have one registration associated with it. Rather annoying to say the least.

ripperj

Explorer
I went with Progressive on my Northstar Adventurer.
Super easy to get and cheap. Just under $170 per year for actual cash value replacement and $250/500 deductible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My only experience with insuring our Alu-Cab Canopy Camper is in Mexico. Our Mexican insurance policy lists the camper as a separate unit/vehicle from our Jeep. Even with both insured, we wouldn't get actual replacement value in case of total loss or theft. But at least we have more than just the value of the Jeep.

ripperj

Explorer
My Progressive plan says that “Mexico Coverage” is included, but I don’t have a clue what it means

My Progressive plan says that “Mexico Coverage” is included, but I don’t have a clue what it means

Mexican law requires a separate Mexico insurance policy. However, the law only requires you to have liability coverage for the other guy. That's not enough for us, so we get comprehensive coverage. That 6-month policy, including the coverage on the camper, is about $800. For all three of our trips to Mexico, we've gone through a small agency in California that was recommended to us by experienced overlanders.

mightymike

Adventurer
We made sure our policy covered the replacement cost of our camper, on or off the truck. If your camper spends more time off of your truck than it does on the truck, likes our does, it seems more likely that something could happen while it is off the truck like theft, damage from a falling tree, etc. In some cases a rider to your truck policy only covers the camper when it is on the truck. In NC we do not have to register a truck camper.

TGK

We made sure our policy covered the replacement cost of our camper, on or off the truck. If your camper spends more time off of your truck than it does on the truck, likes our does, it seems more likely that something could happen while it is off the truck like theft, damage from a falling tree, etc. In some cases a rider to your truck policy only covers the camper when it is on the truck. In NC we do not have to register a truck camper.
Can you share which who is insuring your camper and truck, assuming it's the same company?

Pete Walker

USAA said as long as our camper was "paired" with our truck it was insured at no extra premium cost. They just needed the make model and serial number from the company.

Mfitz

USAA said as long as our camper was "paired" with our truck it was insured at no extra premium cost. They just needed the make model and serial number from the company.
Does this mean USAA only covers it when it is sitting on the truck? I have USAA and will be getting a truck camper in the future, and it will be off the truck a lot.

Pete Walker

Does this mean USAA only covers it when it is sitting on the truck? I have USAA and will be getting a truck camper in the future, and it will be off the truck a lot.

No. They said it doesn't have to be on the truck. I specifically asked about that.

TGK

Appreciate the input. If I move forward with a truck/camper purchase, I'll check out Progressive. USAA is a great company, but not an option for me.

Thanks

ripperj

Explorer

This doesn’t sound right . I have USAA, and they told me specifically that they don’t underwrite Truck Campers. They have Progressive underwrite the policy. The companies share data, so it’s not like going with a whole new company.
My current arrangement is all my vehicles are with USAA and the Northstar Adventurer is with Progressive

You may want to double check unless you have it in writing

Edit: I dont doubt that an agent told you that . There was some confusion when I added my Ram 3500 as to whether it had a flatbed it that caused me to also end up with Progressive underwriting the truck on a commercial policy. I was later able to get to back under my USAA personal policy at half the cost because it has the stock truck bed. Ironically I will have to go theu this process in reverse this summer when I make a flatbed.

USAA is awesome, but it’s a big company and some of the newer folks may not have all the information they need to make the right call.

I suppose the people I spoke to could be wrong, but for a $170/yr for a clearly worded camper policy on a camper that would now cost me $42,000 to replace, I’m not risking it.

Last edited:

ripperj

Explorer
No. They said it doesn't have to be on the truck. I specifically asked about that.

The more I think about this , the less sense it makes.

Why would USAA insure a Camper that could be sitting in a campground in Alaska, the truck could be in California?
You can spend $50k on a truck camper these days without even trying. No way an insurance company will cover that.
(Honestly Mr. Insurance agent, the camper was on the truck last week)

I’m being a bit of a wise ********, but I think my point is valid.

Pete Walker

I don’t know what to tell you. I was very clear with the agent I spoke with and he definitely understood what a slide-in camper was. He made sure it was not a tow behind or something else and he even looked up the model online while we were on the phone. I guess it’s worth double checking based on what you are saying. However, it makes perfect sense to me why they would insure it. It’s unlikely, though possible, something would happen to it while it’s off the truck and probably only travels 1,000 miles a year or so on my truck.

Maybe I qualified for it because I also have homeowners with them. I know Progressive underwrites their valuable property insurance but my camper was insured under my auto policy. That said, I am going to verify based on what you be are saying.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles