Insulation (thermal and sound) Suggestions?

Justgosurfin

Got some new conversion van side windows last weekend and started the fun process of pulling out the panels the last owner made. I just wanted to see what’s behind them to avoid cutting something I shouldn’t. I’m actually pretty impressed with the old panels. Ugly as sin grey vinyl but done with only 3 pieces from floor, across ceiling, and down to other side floor. The plywood will be a great template for our wood paneling.

Anyways, behind the ply is standard pink housing fiberglass insulation. ...should I keep that or do you guys (and gals) prefer another material?

Attachments

• E455BB3F-9CE2-4056-AAF9-EB46A563F74F.jpeg
    E455BB3F-9CE2-4056-AAF9-EB46A563F74F.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 88
  • FBA7D6BB-2E20-45F7-B184-A833CF8E8BFC.jpeg
    FBA7D6BB-2E20-45F7-B184-A833CF8E8BFC.jpeg
    50.9 KB · Views: 85

Corneilius

Adventurer
Some people bash it, when I bought my van it was 18 years old, had 190k on it, and had pink insulation in the doors and walls since new (conversion van). The insulation was a little flattened and dirty, but zero evidence of moisture or mold. I put it back and don't worry about it.

Choff

Adventurer
Need to dig into the photo's at home and find some, have had 6 vans , 1965 Chev, 1976 Chev, 1986 Chev, ? Dodge, 1998 Ford, and 2005 GMC
Did some wild things with the old ones, chopped the roof off of the "76"chev and molded a Old's Vista station wagon roof with glass, we used a lot of carpet back then, "O" the time spent inside a van !!!!

Last edited:

_hein_

Observer
thinsulate or primaloft. lookup Hein on the sprinter forum.

Thanks for the mention. (our contact info is at DIYvan.com) One issue we've seen with fiberglass is if it's not well contained then you'll be breathing it. Small fibers tend to shake loose from vibration and air currents (opening/closing doors) can blow/suck them out of the wall cavity and into the living space. @OP Look in the bottom of the wall cavities. That's were the loose fibers will collect. If they build up then can block drain holes. One of the main benefits of Thinsulate is that it elminates the need for other noise control products. It's will eliminate panel resonance and also absorb ambient noise. Please contact us for a sample. We also carry Low-E (known also as EZ-cool)

All the best,
Hein

Justgosurfin

Thanks for the mention. (our contact info is at DIYvan.com) One issue we've seen with fiberglass is if it's not well contained then you'll be breathing it. Small fibers tend to shake loose from vibration and air currents (opening/closing doors) can blow/suck them out of the wall cavity and into the living space. @OP Look in the bottom of the wall cavities. That's were the loose fibers will collect. If they build up then can block drain holes. One of the main benefits of Thinsulate is that it elminates the need for other noise control products. It's will eliminate panel resonance and also absorb ambient noise. Please contact us for a sample. We also carry Low-E (known also as EZ-cool)

All the best,
Hein

Thanks for your input Hein!

Anyone care to comment on dynamite versus any other product? I have some Soundown left over from insulating my boat console that houses a 4 cyl Cummins. The van now has a 6 cyl Cummins and could go for a bit more dampening of the doghouse and firewall.

s.e.charles

I used dynamat extreme on the floor & walls to window sill height, and dynamat lightweight the rest of the way up and over the ceiling. 100% coverage. stuffed armorflex into the wall & ceiling channels, and poked prima-loft anywhere the other two wouldn't fit. all of my wood is isolated from the van steel with vhb tape or rubber (well nuts). I can hear a mouse fart @ 60 mph.

Justgosurfin

I used dynamat extreme on the floor & walls to window sill height, and dynamat lightweight the rest of the way up and over the ceiling. 100% coverage. stuffed armorflex into the wall & ceiling channels, and poked prima-loft anywhere the other two wouldn't fit. all of my wood is isolated from the van steel with vhb tape or rubber (well nuts). I can hear a mouse fart @ 60 mph.

What did you do about the firewall and doghouse? My noise “issue” is the engine. I quite enjoy it ...for awhile, and then the drone just kills you for 500 miles.

s.e.charles

nothing. I just have the stock 600 cubic liter gas v-8. I did remove the cup holder extension so I could swing my feet around and get into the back without going outside. i'm a shrinking 5'6", 170# (on a good day) and I think the gmc savanna cockpit it tight. HTF does a 300# plumber wiggle his butt in there?

addendum: when I bought my 1987 saab, the salesman told me the cars had good stereos to drown out all the other noises. gotta I-pod? plug that puppy right in and get yerse'f some Skynyrd!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles