[solved] Insulating a 2004 Pajero / Montero

uncompromise

Adventurer
There are dozens — if not hundreds — of threads about this already, I know. And I’ve read through many of them.

I’m looking to re-insulate our car. Having already removed the floor and the interior trim, what little insulation there is, is inadequate for the type of travel we want to do. In short, we want to be able to use our vehicle for driving and sleeping in (relative) extremes of heat and cold.

3M Thinsulate seems to come up as the most reliable, and most light-weight — not to mention expensive — option for insulation in every thread on every forum I’ve read.

A couple of questions:
1. Is this the right material for my needs, or is there something better/cheaper?
2. If the right material, what thickness would I need (assuming the 200 since the 600 would get pretty heavily compressed which would cut a lot of its effectiveness)
3. Are there any reliable suppliers of this material either in or too Europe?

Noting that I have already reached out to DIYvan (which is where many of the forums link to) regarding the latter point, and am awaiting a response.

As mentioned elsewhere, materials costs in Europe are most definitely not what they are in the USA.

uncompromise

Adventurer
We have decided to go with https://www.thermafleece.com/product/thermafleece-ultrawool-high-density-sheep-s-woolThermafleece Ultrawool insulation over Thinsulate for a number of reasons, primarily:
- it’s natural not synthetic
- it’s recyclable
- it’s readily available here in France
- it’s significantly cheaper than Thinsulate

Materials properties:

Thermal Conductivity: 0.035 Wm-1K-1
Water Absorption (@100% RH): 24% w/w
Specific Heat Capacity: 1800 Jkg-1K-1
Mould Resistance - CUAP 2002-01-25: Pass
Moth/Beetle Proofing - ISO 3998: Pass
Vapour Resistivity: 9 MN·s·g–1m–1
BS 5803-4, Flammability & Smoulder Resistance: Pass