Installing roof AC and have a few questions

Paddy

Adventurer
With a bit of ducting, a window AC unit can be mounted under a bed or cabinet. Pretty cheap, and no height loss. Once you get around 8.5ft, extra height doesn't matter as much, especially in urban areas.

I don't understand that logic about height

luthj

Engineer In Residence
I don't understand that logic about height

In my experience, most height restrictions in cities are awnings, drive-throughs etc. These are generally about 9ft of clearance. So for safeties sake, in a vehicle over 8.5ft, you need to stop and check, or just avoid them.

The next step down would be parking garage, or standard garage door height, which is ~7ft and 8ft 2" for accessibility vans.

So for anything over 8.5ft, the extra height didn't change our driving/usage patterns.

Now, for using the vehicle on back roads, forest service roads, or in other countries, its a different matter. Many 4x4, or backroads have low hanging branches, which can inhibit or scratch any vehicle over 6ft or so.

Paddy

Adventurer
In my experience, most height restrictions in cities are awnings, drive-throughs etc. These are generally about 9ft of clearance. So for safeties sake, in a vehicle over 8.5ft, you need to stop and check, or just avoid them.

The next step down would be parking garage, or standard garage door height, which is ~7ft and 8ft 2" for accessibility vans.

So for anything over 8.5ft, the extra height didn't change our driving/usage patterns.

Now, for using the vehicle on back roads, forest service roads, or in other countries, its a different matter. Many 4x4, or backroads have low hanging branches, which can inhibit or scratch any vehicle over 6ft or so.

Ah, yes. Where we live in pacific NW the trails are tight, and overall height is a constant issue out in the wild, not so much in the city. We don't have parking garages hardly at all, at least none where we would be taking our adventure rigs. We have townie rigs for that ;)
Good idea with the window unit hidden under cab somehow. I may go that route on another build I'm doing.

Last edited:

cjken

Explorer
Mine is currently in a side compartment. I may go the rooftop route soon. The current location is a bit low. I think a rooftop would cool better. Not sure
228e6efe46cf6d972ce21b86992cdca0.jpg

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
Mine is currently in a side compartment. I may go the rooftop route soon. The current location is a bit low. I think a rooftop would cool better. Not sure
228e6efe46cf6d972ce21b86992cdca0.jpg

In houses A/C works better when it draws from high up... same principles would apply to a smaller 'room'.

Raul

Adventurer
Any experience with Portable AC?. Especially the ones with intake and outlet hoses like this one

I've been considering replacing the small rearmost window on the extended van for a panel with the holes for the vents.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
They have been used successfully. The main reason window box are used in favour is price. Household units weren't built with vehicle jostling in mind, therefore their lifespan may be shortened. At $700 that's a bit more of a concern.

If you've got a Costco Membership they've had similar ducted units for around $400 and they'll honour warranties long after they're done without hassles.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Portable units should have two hoses for the condenser air. Single hose units use air from the cooled space, and are much less efficient.

These units can be a reasonable option, but as noted they may not be as durable as units designed for vehicle mounting. They have to survive being wheeled about, so they may be a non-issue.

Bikersmurf

Expedition Leader
I checked and the ones on the Costco site appear to all be single hose by design.
ie. for $350.
De'Longhi Pinguino 11,500 BTU 3-in-1 Portable Air Conditioner, Dehumidifier & Fan

Item #2110115 Model #PACN115EC

I'd be inclined to give it a shot since Costco will take it back (even years later) if there's a problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne