Installing Rear Sway Bar, Hellwig #7085, on a 2004 Quigley Cutaway 4X4.

brp

Observer
I just finished installing a Hellwig rear sway bar on my 2004 Ford E350 Cutaway Quigley. Hellwig's instructions are nearly useless, their tech support was much better.

Rant alert*** Hey automotive accessory companies, your instructions almost universally suck, did you make your diagrams with Corel Draw in 1996? Get some real photos, with color pictures, and detailed install info. You could save your customers days of work and they could end up with a better final product.

Some of this info, I presume, would help with the #7085 install on non-Quigleys as well. First up is info applicable to any #7085 install.

--On your lower rear shock mounts, make sure the bolt heads are inboard and the nuts are outboard. If you need to make this change, you may want a small bottle jack to help adjusting the shock to re-install the reversed hardware. Because the bolt head is lower profile than the nut, the sway bar mounting hardware can be pushed closer to the shock mount, as the instructions call for..

--On the driver's side there is a small manifold/block mounted near the top of the axle and inboard of the shock. The block makes it hard to run the U-bolt under the brake line. The block is bolted to the axle, using a fitting that serves as both the axle breather and a mounting bolt. You can determine this by following the rubber line of off the top of the block that basically just terminates in no-man's-land. You are going to need more clearance between the rubber brake line and axle tube, so the U bolt is not in contact with the rubber brake line. Clean the area around the block, remove the runner line from the barbed fitting, then slowly loosen the breather bolt/fitting, 15mm. Once you've backed it out, put a washer or two in between the block and the axle tube, with the breather fitting running through the washer. Retighten. This will give you the proper clearance. In the photo you can see the U-bolt just fitting under the rubber brake line because of the washers.

For Quigley specifically:

--In my case, I needed to trim the rear lower shock mounts. I think Quigley changed these mounts from stock, although not certain. I used a Sawzall to cut these down, a cut off wheel or a portable-band would probably work as well. I cut the mounts so their lowest hanging point was 1.25" below the bottom of the axle tube. In the first photo you can see the bar and shock mount in contact. In the second photo you can see me pointing to about where I cut, and also the reversed shock hardware.

And after I cut it down....

--For the sway bar links, the included set-up is too short, basically because the Quigley is lifted about 4". The sleeves I made are 7.75" long, the included ones are 3.5" if I remember right. The bolts that run in the sleeves are also too short for a Quigley, I bought 1/2" threaded rod, with gave me a lot of flexibility, I cut those down at 13" and then trimmed some excess, 12.5" would probably have been better.

--In an effort to get the driver's side sway bar mount closer to the shock mount, I trimmed the corner off the mounting bracket, this notch is where the head of the lower rear shock mount fit, allowing me to push the sway bar mount further outboard by a bolt head thickness. When I did this I did not know I would be raising the brake manifold/block, you should consider not trimming the bracket and first raising the brake block ad seeing if everything is happy that way. Notice the notch in the lower right corner.

--When you install the L brackets to the frame, only loosely tighten them, so you can move them a little. You want the end links to be vertical, or close to it. The movement in the L brackets is the only option to make adjustments. You'll see what I mean when you are in there working. I also ground the corners off the backplates that the top bolt goes through, looking to eliminate stress risers.

A tip I have is to use cam straps to hang the bar roughly in place while you gets things aligned. The bar is very heavy and awkward when you are laying under the vehicle by yourself.

I hope these small pieces of info can save somebody a lot of BS. Hellwig, your customers should not have to scour the internet for this type of info.

I have not done a test drive yet, but will report back.

I hope somebody finds this helpful.

Hellwig rear sway bar sway-bar sway bar anti-sway anti Quigley 4wd E-350 E350 E-250 E250 E450 E-450 Econoline E series E-series cutaway Cut away.

Last edited:

eblau

Adventurer
I literally just went through the same thing except mine is Hellwig 7183 for my E250 with Dana 60 semi floater.

Upon realizing the Ubolt would not clear the brake like fitting thing I did what any other guy in his driveway would have done and tried to bend the brake line slightly so it wouldn't chaff on the block. It broke. Ok so I thought that line was probably bad anyways so I got both rear hard lines and continued on my install. Next problem was the angle of the sway bar, it pointed downward and made the links sit at a funny angle. The "instructions" said to locate this one particular hole in the frame that was 1/2" and bolt the links through there but also said not all vans are the same (fair enough) and there may be a smaller hole that you must enlarge in order to have the link bolts pass through. I located a smaller hole in the frame that moved the links further up thus leveling my bar. Problems solved. Last issue was the adjustment of the end links. I am nearly at the top of the adjustment in order to get my bar level and luckily didnt run out of thread but it dawned on me that depending on your vans year, springs and lift this bar has a good chance of not working at all without making some mods that your average wrencher wasn't capable of doing him or herself in the driveway. I have also seen people "clock" the clamps around the axle tube at funny angles to get the bar level and the links 90 degrees perpendicular to the bar. This is not ideal as there is a tremendous amount of force being applied to those clamps when the bar twists and could easily overcome the clamping strength of the u bolts. The roadracer and autocrosser in me says this bar design is stupid, lazy, adds unsprung weight and also is just kind of installed by "eyeing it up" but it has been VERY effective at reducing roll and sway.

I give it 3/5 Lacroix sparkling beverages. Would be 4/5 if the instructions were better and 5/5 if they told you EXACTLY where to place the clamps on the axle tube. I bought an Addco bar first but they are on backorder. It looks like a better design for about $80 less.

brp

Observer
Eblau, I love the Lacroix reference. I used to slam Cokes when I was working on cars, just keeps me going I guess. Now that I am middle-aged, 500 calories of pure crap has less appeal, so the sparkling water was out in force.

I did consider the clocking, but was worried the mounts would just rotate under the extreme forces. The bar is an absolute beast, honestly the hardware, especially the L bracket, does not seem of equal robustness. Time will tell.

I am slightly concerned about the piece I notched, I may order a new one and see if I can get everything square without the notch, now that I have more brake line clearance.

I was not able to get my links totally vertical, but they are close.

I am glad the bar worked for you, I'm going to take it for a drive tomorrow and see how it feels.

eblau

Adventurer
All in all I guess the actual install didn't take long but there was zero info out there to answer some of these questions we had! I had to switch from beer to Lacroix while working, I am at the point where even one beer makes me tired and boozy feeling and I get nothing done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz