Installing Full Pass-Through Complexity?

erstwild

In my long process of looking at putting together a full-time truck camper (or van conversion) build plan, I wanted to reach out and see if anyone has experience with cutting/installing a full pass-through between the truck and cabin (say in this example a Ford F-150 and a SpaceKap Diablo) like they have in Tiger RVs? If so, how would you rate it as an option for the time/expense/complexity?

I haven't done a camper cut but years ago I helped cut the cab and front bed of a Nissan Hardbody to install a competition stereo in the bed. The cutting was the easy part. Finding a seal between the cab and bed was the hardest part. We pulled out the rear window and cut straight down from there. Mocked up the piece from the cab and cut the bed. The fiberglass cap was an easy cut too. We used the window from the cab to trace the cap and cut out that piece too. It was definitely an easy job. Took us about a weekend to complete the whole thing. I say do it. Do some research about what kind of seal there is for you truck. There are lots of guys still cutting trucks up to do full bed stereos.

Sent from my WJ

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Pass through makes sense in an Earthroamer because you can ride in the back right? I'm not understanding the point of one in a slide in camper.

I'm also not getting the weird window in the bottom front of truck campers, I was going to insist on having it built without a window there at all to save weight, and one less leaky failure point. Is there a point to these windows?

erstwild

Thanks for the tips. You are right, lowrider. This doesn't seem like an insurmountable task. I'll keep mulling it over.

@Buliwyf I know what you mean. This would be permanently mounted of course. It will mostly be an option to just be able to roll out of bed and hop in the driver's seat discretely without exiting the vehicle (urban, suburban areas, etc.) or when there is foul weather.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Just doesn't seem worth the weight, hassle, and potential leaks then. I barely fit through.

sg1

Adventurer
I have seen another solution on a permanently mounted camper. They cut a hole in the roof of the cab and in the floor of the alkove. This seemed to be quite easy to built.

Bayou Boy

Adventurer
I'm also not getting the weird window in the bottom front of truck campers, I was going to insist on having it built without a window there at all to save weight, and one less leaky failure point. Is there a point to these windows?

If you have a low window in the rear door of the camper you can see through to see how close you are backing up to something. I used that feature in my old Lance all the time.

Also, not enough water gets to that area to worry about any leaks.

erstwild

Just doesn't seem worth the weight, hassle, and potential leaks then. I barely fit through.

I see what you mean, but I think it might be worth it for me at least. I'd also be planning to replace the front bench with two sport seats to make it a bit easier to maneuver between front and back.

erstwild

I have seen another solution on a permanently mounted camper. They cut a hole in the roof of the cab and in the floor of the alkove. This seemed to be quite easy to built.

I have seen those too! Unfortunately, I would not want to lose to the storage space in the cabover I think.

Ark

I have read several posts and articles about structural issues with pass-throughs. One in particular was from a couple who had a Tiger RV that they used on dirt roads quite a bit. They stated that with the large pass-through, the cab flexed quite a bit more than it was originally designed to do and their doors would shake quite a bit on dirt roads. Enough so that they were actually wearing out door seals fairly quickly.

**Edit** after trying to find where I read this report, I can't seem to locate it. Please see below. It appears that lots of people have had very good luck with their Tigers holding up to rough roads.

Lots of manufacturers have solved this problem but food for thought. Removing material could affect your cab's structural integrity making it a little bit more annoying to live with on a day-to-day basis and perhaps quite a bit more dangerous in an accident

Last edited:

erstwild

I have read several posts and articles about structural issues with pass-throughs. One in particular was from a couple who had a Tiger RV that they used on dirt roads quite a bit. They stated that with the large pass-through, the cab flexed quite a bit more than it was originally designed to do and their doors would shake quite a bit on dirt roads. Enough so that they were actually wearing out door seals fairly quickly.

Lots of manufacturers have solved this problem but food for thought. Removing material could affect your cab's structural integrity making it a little bit more annoying to live with on a day-to-day basis and perhaps quite a bit more dangerous in an accident

Thanks Ark. I ultimately decided against a passthrough for several reasons.

Ark

That is news to me. Never seen it mentioned on any Tiger forums. I have a single cab and the whole cab/coach marriage is rock solid. I imagine an xtra-cab without the post in-between could have an issue but then the xtra-cab truck is the most common Tiger.
I've had a hard side slide in and a popup. Now a Tiger with crawl through for bad weather, bugs and safety. It would be hard going without, great feature IMO.

Sourdough,

I know I remember reading that but for the life of me I can't find the forum thread to quote. I should really cite my source before I besmirch a company's name! Honestly, after looking for quite a while for that quote, all I have come across has been positive like you've stated. I can't find that original report but I've actually got a much better opinion (having never owned one) of the Tiger's durability from trying to find that negative review! I'll retract my original statement. My apologies.

https://expeditionportal.com/forum/...iger-can-tiger-withstand-rough-roading.52519/

You're probably right though. Any door shaking on washboard roads may actually be more of a function of the extended cab configuration not having a b-pillar than any structural changes caused by the pass-through.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
A pass through is fairly easy to do. All you need to know is where to cut the hole in your drivers cab. Every manufacturer has a "set location" without compromising the structural integrity. Think about "Roll Over Accident". Some even need to get additional metal struts welded in (Unimog). The next question is: Will the hole be big enough at the end for you to fit through? I see this as the biggest issue with pick up trucks. Way better with Fuso's. Unimogs, LMTV, Sprinter, Transit..... As for the rubber seal: yes, they are more or less difficult to source... That's why we included them in our webstore. With each purchase you will also get some guidance on how to mount them. Cheers

windtraveler

Observer
In my long process of looking at putting together a full-time truck camper (or van conversion) build plan, I wanted to reach out and see if anyone has experience with cutting/installing a full pass-through between the truck and cabin (say in this example a Ford F-150 and a SpaceKap Diablo) like they have in Tiger RVs? If so, how would you rate it as an option for the time/expense/complexity?
Have you looked at breezer windows? They offer a removable replacement rear window and different boot options to seal the truck to the camper. Very easy to install and if you can fit thru the window frame this may be the best option. No structural compromises, easy, cost effective, and allows your truck to return to its original configuration if you change your mind down the road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne