Installing Fender Flares - 04 Tacoma

Howard70

Adventurer
I've removed the passenger rear fender flare (stock plastic bulge around wheel well opening) on our 04 DC Tacoma as a step in removing the other black plastic piece that lines the wheel wheel. Removals done to gain access to empty space forward of wheel well.

Question: I'm ready to reinstall the fender flare and I have new clips (both red and blue). For the easiest installation - Do I install the clips into the body of the truck and then pop the fender flare onto them, or do I install the clips onto the fender flare and then pop the flare and the clips onto the body?

Thanks,

Howard

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
Install the clips into the flare and then line them up on the sheetmetal and install. Take a look at the function of the clips and how they lock into the plastic flare and it might be a little more clear.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters
I'm sure your aware but the red and blue clips do have specific locations so make sure to install them accordingly. If you need a diagram that shows the order there are some FSM links out there, if you can't find one I'll post it.

Howard70

Adventurer
Hello Kurt:

Thanks again - I realized the difference between the two clips and their placements and I appreciate the confirmation!

Howard

clcoyle

Explorer
I am getting ready to do the same install, do you have any lessons learned from your installation experience that you could share?

Thanks,

Chris

Howard70

Adventurer
Hello Chris:

It's a lot easier to install them than to remove them. Follow the suggestions above (install the different clips in the proper places into the flare and then line the flare up and pop it in).

I ended up buying new clips, but I don't remember it that was because I broke the originals when I removed them or if I was just being cautious. When I bought the new ones, the parts guys at the dealer didn't know which were which from their parts books, but they knew there were two types.

Good Luck,

Howard

robski

Observer
By chance, do you still know the part# for the clips? I'm about to do some bed repair that requires to remove my flares.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles