Installing AUX battery in pop-up camper

rockandroll

Adventurer
I'm about to make an offer on a 2007 Palomino Bronco 800 that doesn't have any battery for the camper. When not plugged-in, everything runs off the truck battery. Not very useful for my application.

I was hoping you gentlemen could point me in the right direction how somebody would go about compensating by installing after market parts.

Background story: We're driving this camper with a 2003 Tundra to the tip of South America over 9 months. I don't expect to plug-in at most places we camp. I realize the camper is not ideal, but for the price we're getting, we're going to make it work.

UglyScout

Observer
I'm in the same situation as you - just a different brand of camper. No factory installed 12v battery.

My plan is to add a battery separator in line with the exisiting 12v feed line from the pickup -

Add a high quality deep cycle AGM battery -

Wire it back into the 12v side of the trailer.

It will charge as I drive and keep the truck and camper separate so I can't kill my truck starting battery(s).

rockandroll

Adventurer
In looking at the standard features it lists "25 AMP Converter with Charger" as standard. I'm not sure what this is for. Does this mean I'm pre-wired and simply need to connect a battery to the factory charger?

The guy I'm buying it from knows less about the camper than I do, it was his fathers. So I appreciate the assistance.

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
The converter is a 12-volt power supply that lets you plug the camper into a 120-volt outlet and use it for the 12-volt accessories. It will also charge the camper 12-volt battery if there is one installed.

I liked the idea of not adding wiring to the truck so my pop-up has a stand-alone solar-charged electrical system (I always liked the solar-only systems at ski cabins). Mine only uses a 10-watt panel and a very inexpensive charge controller but it keeps the deep-cycle camper battery topped off. My main electrical load is lighting though--I don't have a heater or fridge. I noticed that even with such a small panel, the charge controller indicates full charge about half-way through the next day after using the lighting and water pump the previous night.

Eric

UglyScout

Observer
In looking at the standard features it lists "25 AMP Converter with Charger" as standard. I'm not sure what this is for. Does this mean I'm pre-wired and simply need to connect a battery to the factory charger?

I would guess - yes. The converter will probably be your main power control center with fuses/breakers and all that stuff. It probably has the wires or a spot for the wires to connect a battery.

rockandroll

Adventurer
I would guess - yes. The converter will probably be your main power control center with fuses/breakers and all that stuff. It probably has the wires or a spot for the wires to connect a battery.

Awesome, this saves me a lot of trouble. It does contain fuses, beakers and cooling fan. Thanks for the info.

West Coast Mags

Adventurer
I'm in the same boat, just bought a used 8.5' Apache hardside, no battery but there is an inventer and standard house plug and cord. Please post up any valuable info you come across. Thanks.

MakersTeleMark

Adventurer
I liked the idea of not adding wiring to the truck so my pop-up has a stand-alone solar-charged electrical system (I always liked the solar-only systems at ski cabins). Mine only uses a 10-watt panel and a very inexpensive charge controller but it keeps the deep-cycle camper battery topped off. My main electrical load is lighting though--I don't have a heater or fridge. I noticed that even with such a small panel, the charge controller indicates full charge about half-way through the next day after using the lighting and water pump the previous night.

Eric

I'm in the same boat, but run a 90w panel. It powers everything I need with no problems. I run lighting, the fan for the heater, a small oscillating fan, an inverter, and a stereo system.

davidshourd

Adventurer
also try doing some searching on wanderthewest.com. tons of great how to posts for camper battery/solar set ups. sounds like you are off to a good start being that you already have a charge controller in there and wiring. good luck and keep us posted.

UglyScout

Observer
I started wiring on my system last night. I'm using a SurePower 1314 battery separator to keep the trucks battery and camper battery separate. I pulled off the cabinet panel that covers the wiring and traced back the 12 volt 'feed' wire from the truck that came into the 12 volt fuse panel.

I disconnected the feed 12 volt + from the panel and ran it to the battery separator as the 'main battery'. The camper battery is then wired to the separator as the 'aux battery'. Then the battery + and - are wired directly to the fuse panel.

At the same time I ran a 120 volt circuit to the battery area where I will wire in a standard 120 plug so I can put an automatic trickle charger in the camper all the time and not have wires/cord running all over.

I should have taken some pictures -- but I didn't. Maybe tonight...

rockandroll

Adventurer
I started wiring on my system last night. I'm using a SurePower 1314 battery separator to keep the trucks battery and camper battery separate. I pulled off the cabinet panel that covers the wiring and traced back the 12 volt 'feed' wire from the truck that came into the 12 volt fuse panel.

I disconnected the feed 12 volt + from the panel and ran it to the battery separator as the 'main battery'. The camper battery is then wired to the separator as the 'aux battery'. Then the battery + and - are wired directly to the fuse panel.

At the same time I ran a 120 volt circuit to the battery area where I will wire in a standard 120 plug so I can put an automatic trickle charger in the camper all the time and not have wires/cord running all over.

I should have taken some pictures -- but I didn't. Maybe tonight...

Sounds like a simple, easy, and great idea. But, I'm not sure how the separator works when separating 2 things that aren't batteries. "The Battery Separator waits until the battery connected to the active charging source reaches 13.2V before paralleling & charging the remaining batteries." Since the separator isn't connected at all to the primary/truck battery doesn't that take away the priority?

I'd like to charge my aux from the truck alternator and this sounds like the ticket. Let us know what you find and how it works for you.

Last edited:

UglyScout

Observer
The separator will work fine for what you want - when the alternator is going (the truck is on) it's output is high enough to 'open' the switch in the separator and allow charging of the camper battery.

My system is all wired up and so far so good!! I haven't hooked up my truck and tested that portion of the separator but it doesn't allow any power to go towards the truck at this point.

FWC uses the same brand separator that I ended up running - so if it is good enough for the factory it is probably fine for me. Kind of funny, I do a ton of research and come to the same conclusion... Same thing for my battery - tons of searching and research and I buy a DEKA, just like the factory.

rockandroll

Adventurer
The separator will work fine for what you want - when the alternator is going (the truck is on) it's output is high enough to 'open' the switch in the separator and allow charging of the camper battery.

My system is all wired up and so far so good!! I haven't hooked up my truck and tested that portion of the separator but it doesn't allow any power to go towards the truck at this point.

FWC uses the same brand separator that I ended up running - so if it is good enough for the factory it is probably fine for me. Kind of funny, I do a ton of research and come to the same conclusion... Same thing for my battery - tons of searching and research and I buy a DEKA, just like the factory.

Thanks for the info Scout. I plan on mimicking you here. Is this the way FWC wires in the charge for the camper battery (off the 12v power supply to the camper)?

UglyScout

Observer
Thanks for the info Scout. I plan on mimicking you here. Is this the way FWC wires in the charge for the camper battery (off the 12v power supply to the camper)?

I think so, but the only FWC camper I have ever seen inside of is mine. :D

And as you add items (converter, battery charger, solar, etc) - they are all done straight to the battery, keeping them separate from the truck and allowing one place to disconnect and really turn off everythign at once.

Did you see my install pics in my thread below? I guess I could copy them into this thread....

Pics:

wiring1.JPG

wiring2.JPG

wiring3.JPG

I need to clean up the wiring, but it all works. I've already added a battery tray/hold down.

I spliced into the 120v side at the plug in towards the front of the camper - I could have added another breaker on the panel, but I didn't want to unhook the gas line to get the panel out.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles