Installing a Volvo Electric fan on a 3.5L Montero

GrassCat

Adventurer
I posted this on the wire so I thought I'd share it here also.

Installing a Volvo Electric fan on a 3.5L Montero

I have a 1998 Gen 2.5, but it should work on all the 3.5L Montero's.

I got a Volvo 945 wagon electric fan from Pick n Pull for $38. The nice thing about pulling this fan is it's held in place with three screws located at the top of the fan. They are the torx type screws, so be prepared.

It's a two speed fan, that is it has three wire coming off it. Red is high speed and green is the low speed. Black is the ground. I use my Delta Current Control (DCC) model FK-35 35A Fan Control Kit to wire it up.

Here's some pictures

Stock radiator

DSCF5502.JPG

The Volvo part is on the left

DSCF5503.JPG

Volvo fan mounted on the radiator

DSCF5506.JPG

Installed in the truck, looking from top side. Tight fit,but it's below the pulley by 1/2" or so.

DSCF5508.JPG

looking up from below the truck

DSCF5511.JPG

Works like a dream.

I forgot to mention that you need to trim the top of the fan shroud, remove the right angle part.

Last edited:

off-roader

Expedition Leader
OEM fan is driven off the engine and not electric. It's problematic when the going is slow off road since engine speed is also slow and this is why an electric can make a difference.

The Rover Shop

Explorer
When you eliminate the fan you just remove the fan from the existing pulley which has the belt on it..The pulley remains, just the fan assembly is removed.. I believe the fan is on the water pump drive.???..

GrassCat

Adventurer
I believe the fan is on the water pump drive.???..

The water pump is driven by the timing belt. The fan is located on the cooling fan bracket assy which has the fan and a pulley that drives the alternator on the SOHC 12 valve engine and drives the alternator and power steering pump on the SOHC/DOHV 24 valve engines.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior