Installing a Victron Multiplus 2000 Inverter/Charger ?

Bravo30

the core of my electrical system is a pair of 125AH Lifepo4 batteries from STARPOWER, REDARC 1240D dcdc charger and this Victron Multiplus inverter/charger (thanks to Diplostat for pointing me in this direction)

im about to start putting all of this together and have a few questions about the inverter. the first thing i did was install a 30 amp inlet underneath the van to bring power in. after i run the 10/2 wire into the van do i need to install a load center, pictured below or can i run the 10/2 directly to the inverter?

Thank you for your time,

The MultiPlus is a powerful true sine wave inverter, a sophisticated battery charger that features adaptive charge technology, and a high-speed AC transfer switch in a single compact enclosure.

• 12 volt DC input
  • Pure Sine Wave 120 volt 60 Hz AC output
  • 50 Amp transfer switch
  • 4 stage 80 Amp charger for main battery
  • 4 Amp charger for start battery
  • Battery temperature sensor included
  • Optional remote panel available – see below
  • Compact 20.5″ x 10″ x 5″ dimensions
  • 25 Lbs

https://starkpower.com/product/victron-energy-multiplus-compact-2000-inverter-charger

Bravo30

Assuming you plugged into correct & OCPD protected receptacle, a loadcenter is nice and can add some versatility, but not really needed. If you want "belt & suspenders" approach, nothing wrong doing it.
As far as NEC, the receptacle you plugged into can serve as a disconnect means. You could also use a lockable two pole switch as disconnect as well.

i called StarkPower, that's who i bought the inverter from along with the batteries. they in turn confirmed with Victron that i could in fact hard wire the inverter directly to my 10/2 line off of the 30amp inlet. This is great news, saves me time and money and makes my electrical set-up much tighter.

when i first started researching electrical systems i was overwhelmed with the amount of STUFF people had connected. here now at the end i realize you don't need half of it.

pdavitt

In your original post you mentioned running 10/2 cable. Need to run 10/3, don't forget the ground.
Pat

JPaul

Observer
In your original post you mentioned running 10/2 cable. Need to run 10/3, don't forget the ground.
Pat
10/2 indicates 2x 10 gauge power wires, often the designation would also state "with ground" to indicate a ground wire as well for a total of 3 wires. 10/3 means there are 3x 10 gauge power wires, again usually w/ground for a total of 4 wires.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Flhtruss

Observer
Hello Bravo 30
Are you sure everything you plug into that powers the inverter is wired properly, fused rating for the inverter. If so I could be comfortable wiring directl to inverter.
Russ

pdavitt

10/2 indicates 2x 10 gauge power wires, often the designation would also state "with ground" to indicate a ground wire as well for a total of 3 wires. 10/3 means there are 3x 10 gauge power wires, again usually w/ground for a total of 4 wires.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

You are correct, my bad. Haven't dealt with land use AC cable in a while. In marine cables it's the number of wires in the cable, not the number of current conductors.
Sorry,
Pat

pdavitt

Hello Bravo 30
Are you sure everything you plug into that powers the inverter is wired properly, fused rating for the inverter. If so I could be comfortable wiring directl to inverter.
Russ

Let me second Russ's comment. And add that a Pass Through (Hybrid) Inverter/Charger's electrical functionality is considerably more complex than a straight Inverter. You can download the Multiplus 12/2000/80 manual from the Victron Energy website.

Pat

Bravo30

Hello Bravo 30
Russ

i plan to only plug into appropriately fused outlet posts at rv parks if thats what your asking. i will not be plugging into any generators or extension cords from homes or anything. at some point im going to install a fuse panel inside the van. i feel like that is the safest way forward. i dont like having to trust other peoples work or conditions at any given facility that we decide to stay at.

Flhtruss

Observer
Morning bravo30
You'd probably be better off plugging into a generator vs an alleged power supply at a campground. Poor ground, low voltage, reversed hot and neutral. There are posts on forums where people are on the road all the time and some carry items to check these conditions. Those inverter's are expensive a little protection can go a long way.
Russ

Bravo30

OK, change of plans. ive decided to install the load center after all. you guys brough up some good points that i wasnt really aware off. i always figured the Electrical posts at the RV parks were good to go. i assumed they were inspected etc. ive never been to one before so im not taking any chances.

i just want to make sure im doing this right. so, i take the 10/2 line and connect it to a 30amp fuse inside the panel then run another 10/2 line OUT to the inverter and then from the inverter i run a 10/2 line out to an outlet inside the van?

if this is correct i have a few questions about grounding. first, do i ground the 10/2 that comes into the panel to the load center via the ground bar or do i ground to the van ? 2nd, when i run an outlet off of the inverter do i ground to the metal outlet box or to the van ?

Is that the load center you are using? Remember you are dealing with 110 volts not 220 so you only want to use one breaker feeding the inverter. The neutral should connect to the bus system on the far right. Also run a 10 ga wire front the neutral bus to the grounding bar on the left. All neutrals will connect on the right and grounds on the left Since you will be only using one breaker to feed the inverter, I would use the other spot for a breaker fed by the inverter then to your outlet. This protects both sides of the inverter.

To answer your question about grounding, everything must be grounded back to a single point. That means to the grounding bus on the left.

Bravo30

Is that the load center you are using? Remember you are dealing with 110 volts not 220 so you only want to use one breaker feeding the inverter. The neutral should connect to the bus system on the far right. Also run a 10 ga wire front the neutral bus to the grounding bar on the left. All neutrals will connect on the right and grounds on the left Since you will be only using one breaker to feed the inverter, I would use the other spot for a breaker fed by the inverter then to your outlet. This protects both sides of the inverter.

To answer your question about grounding, everything must be grounded back to a single point. That means to the grounding bus on the left.

yes that is the load center i am using.

ok, so lets see if i got this right.... 10/2 30amp coming into the load center from an inlet underneath the van . connect the nuetral and hot and then the ground to the ground bus on the left? from there 10ga wire from the load center to the inverter via a 15 amp breaker? then 10ga wire coming from the inverter to a second 15amp breaker inside the load center that will then go out to an outlet? then i need to connect the nuetral bus and ground buss inside the load center with 10ga wire ?

Yes that is correct.
Here are some simple tips to help. Remember Black is considered L1, White is Neutral and Ground is green. On plugs, receptacles, and Inlet Gold is Black or L1, Silver is White or Neutral and of course green for ground. Yes connecting the Neutral side of the box to the ground box grounds the neutral. You want a grounded neutral and whatever you do use no switches or breakers in the neutral. I would use Ground Fault Breakers (GFCI) just for added safety. Wiring the plug,receptacles, and inlet correctly is important for user safety.

Bravo30

Yes that is correct.
Here are some simple tips to help. Remember Black is considered L1, White is Neutral and Ground is green. On plugs, receptacles, and Inlet Gold is Black or L1, Silver is White or Neutral and of course green for ground. Yes connecting the Neutral side of the box to the ground box grounds the neutral. You want a grounded neutral and whatever you do use no switches or breakers in the neutral. I would use Ground Fault Breakers (GFCI) just for added safety. Wiring the plug,receptacles, and inlet correctly is important for user safety.

what do you mean by

''use no switches or breakers in the neutral''

Neutral should never be broken or switched. If you do that you end up with a floating neutral that can cause all sorts of problem plus health and safety risk. That is why all neutrals connect back to that bus on the far right of the your load center.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz