Installing a Front Runner Slimline II & Alu-Cab shadow Awning on an FJ tomorrow (8/19/19) any tips? *Installed Pictures*

shank3r

I've spend the last few days reading this forum and I could have saved $150 had I come across it sooner.

I purchased an Alu-Cab shadow awning after seeing a guy in Port Aransas in a 4Runner (had full Alu-Cab roof top tent and all) pull up beside us and deploy his awning in minutes by himself in 25mph winds, hang out in the shade, while my wife & I were hunkering under our Alps Mountaineering Tri-Awning as it was wanting to fold up on itself in the wind while his Alu-Cab shadow awing was rock stead without using the leg or guy lines. it was love at first site...

So I bought one thinking I could use the Four Treks's mounts and mount it to a stock FJ Cruiser roof rack. I was WRONG....it bolted up fine, but there was absolutely no support for the hinge and it would not deploy without manually supporting it. It would have worked using in low wind/no wind situations using extra precautions, but for us using it regularly on Mustang/Padre Islands it wasn't going to work.

I called up OKW4k and talked to this cool guy named Chuck, he had a Land Cruiser with an Alu-Cab shadow awning mounted on a Front Runner Slimline II and I decided after a couple of minutes to get a Slimeline II. It gets here tomorrow and I'm going to mount it up.

I did a bunch of pre-work to the roof by removing the OEM rack, claybar'ing, followed by a medium cut polish then a fine polish then getting the top wrapped in vinyl (because I'll never be able to really clean the roof again) and tomorrow is the big day to get everything bolted up. I have to go back to work Wednesday ( I work 14on/14off in the oilfield) and my wife is going camping with our kid and in-laws while I'll be at work so i've got to get it all lined up before I leave.

Anybody have any tips to make assembling the Slimline II rack easier? I've already read the install instructions via online PDF to prepare and it appears pretty straight forward.

Last edited:

shank3r

Here are pics of using the Four Trek's mounts with the OEM roof rack. These mounts are fantastic quality, but due to the lack of ability to support the hinge on the Shadow Awning, it wasn't going to work as intended.

Attachments

• Alu-Cab_OE Rack 01.jpg
    Alu-Cab_OE Rack 01.jpg
    880.8 KB · Views: 39
  • Alu-Cab_OE Rack 03.jpg
    Alu-Cab_OE Rack 03.jpg
    885.4 KB · Views: 37
  • Alu-Cab_OE Rack 04.jpg
    Alu-Cab_OE Rack 04.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 35

shank3r

Here's what it looked like deployed with the OEM rack. No way I could have used it w/o dropping the support leg even with ZERO wind. I can't wait to get it back up there with the new roof rack though....

Attachments

• Alu-Cab_OE Rack 06.jpg
    Alu-Cab_OE Rack 06.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 42

Lownomore

I've spend the last few days reading this forum and I could have saved $150 had I come across it sooner.

I purchased an Alu-Cab shadow awning after seeing a guy in Port Aransas in a 4Runner (had full Alu-Cab roof top tent and all) pull up beside us and deploy his awning in minutes by himself in 25mph winds, hang out in the shade, while my wife & I were hunkering under our Alps Mountaineering Tri-Awning as it was wanting to fold up on itself in the wind while his Alu-Cab shadow awing was rock stead without using the leg or guy lines. it was love at first site...

So I bought one thinking I could use the Four Treks's mounts and mount it to a stock FJ Cruiser roof rack. I was WRONG....it bolted up fine, but there was absolutely no support for the hinge and it would not deploy without manually supporting it. It would have worked using in low wind/no wind situations using extra precautions, but for us using it regularly on Mustang/Padre Islands it wasn't going to work.

I called up OKW4k and talked to this cool guy named Chuck, he had a Land Cruiser with an Alu-Cab shadow awning mounted on a Front Runner Slimline II and I decided after a couple of minutes to get a Slimeline II. It gets here tomorrow and I'm going to mount it up.

I did a bunch of pre-work to the roof by removing the OEM rack, claybar'ing, followed by a medium cut polish then a fine polish then getting the top wrapped in vinyl (because I'll never be able to really clean the roof again) and tomorrow is the big day to get everything bolted up. I have to go back to work Wednesday ( I work 14on/14off in the oilfield) and my wife is going camping with our kid and in-laws while I'll be at work so i've got to get it all lined up before I leave.

Anybody have any tips to make assembling the Slimline II rack easier? I've already read the install instructions via online PDF to prepare and it appears pretty straight forward.

They are pretty straightforward. I would apply a liberal amount of silicone to the holes in the roof and get the supports installed to the roof before I began assembly on the rack so the silicone sets well. If you are going to be putting the rack on the roof by yourself it's entirely manageable but get a couple of moving blankets or other thick blankets to put on the roof first so you can slide it in place easily.

shank3r

Got it done, it was pretty straight forward. I spent a lot of time on cleaning up the roof of the FJ (Claybar'd, Med-Cut Polish, Glaze, then a final fine polish, all using my UDM) then had it wrapped as a preservation step knowing the top is not going to be easily cleaned unless the top comes off.

I ran into a few hiccups with the Alu-Cab -> Front Runner brackets, the front one was about 1/4" short of lining up with the roof rack cross support so I had to remove a bolt in the top, then just drilled all the way thru and attached it. I'm thinking these brackets were designed for a previous version of the Front Runner Slimline roof rack. But other than that everything went great. I bolted the mounting feet to the roof first, then set the rack on top and bolted it down, I spend a good bit of time making it it was square before torquing all the hardware and I'm guessing that's why I didn't have issues with the bolts lining up as other people have reported.

The Awning went right on and with the hinge properly supported it is truly a 1 person deploy. My wife is only 5' tall, so it's slightly challenging for her, but all is well.

The only gripe I have is that the Awning doesn't have a pad where the short leg that pushes against the top. I've only ever seen one other one in person and on-line pictures and mine appears to be missing this piece. And the canvas enclosure had a torn corner after removing it from the box. But it did cross an ocean & half of North America before getting to me so I'm thinking I may be a little picky about that, the wife is more concerned about it than me.

Attachments

• FJ Front Runner Alu-Cab 01.jpg
    FJ Front Runner Alu-Cab 01.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 61
  • FJ Front Runner Alu-Cab 02.jpg
    FJ Front Runner Alu-Cab 02.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 59
  • FJ Front Runner Alu-Cab 03.jpg
    FJ Front Runner Alu-Cab 03.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 62
  • FJ Front Runner Alu-Cab 04.jpg
    FJ Front Runner Alu-Cab 04.jpg
    911.8 KB · Views: 63
  • FJ Front Runner Alu-Cab 05.jpg
    FJ Front Runner Alu-Cab 05.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 66
  • FJ Front Runner Alu-Cab 06.jpg
    FJ Front Runner Alu-Cab 06.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 69
  • FJ Front Runner Alu-Cab 07.jpg
    FJ Front Runner Alu-Cab 07.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 67
  • FJ Front Runner Alu-Cab 08.jpg
    FJ Front Runner Alu-Cab 08.jpg
    664.7 KB · Views: 66
  • FJ Front Runner Alu-Cab 09.jpg
    FJ Front Runner Alu-Cab 09.jpg
    416.2 KB · Views: 56
  • FJ Front Runner Alu-Cab 010.jpg
    FJ Front Runner Alu-Cab 010.jpg
    912 KB · Views: 51
Hi Shank,
I'm not sure what you saw in a picture. Pretty sure it was custom made. Everyone I know with the Shadow Awn puts duck tape up there . It would be an improvement, you're right but I have the Awn on an FJ too (thanx OK4WD) and it is awesome. Wind, sun, rain, duct tape, it doesn't let you down. They have something new to go between the RTT and the Awn, supposed to redirect the water in heavy rain but that hasn't been an issue for me. Very little rain gets in and I just don't put the salt, pepper and sugar at the edge of my table. ? Seriously, I'm playing with sticky one sided stuff for the "foot" but not worried, just a precaution.

Last edited:
Got it done, it was pretty straight forward. I spent a lot of time on cleaning up the roof of the FJ (Claybar'd, Med-Cut Polish, Glaze, then a final fine polish, all using my UDM) then had it wrapped as a preservation step knowing the top is not going to be easily cleaned unless the top comes off.

I ran into a few hiccups with the Alu-Cab -> Front Runner brackets, the front one was about 1/4" short of lining up with the roof rack cross support so I had to remove a bolt in the top, then just drilled all the way thru and attached it. I'm thinking these brackets were designed for a previous version of the Front Runner Slimline roof rack. But other than that everything went great. I bolted the mounting feet to the roof first, then set the rack on top and bolted it down, I spend a good bit of time making it it was square before torquing all the hardware and I'm guessing that's why I didn't have issues with the bolts lining up as other people have reported.

The Awning went right on and with the hinge properly supported it is truly a 1 person deploy. My wife is only 5' tall, so it's slightly challenging for her, but all is well.

The only gripe I have is that the Awning doesn't have a pad where the short leg that pushes against the top. I've only ever seen one other one in person and on-line pictures and mine appears to be missing this piece. And the canvas enclosure had a torn corner after removing it from the box. But it did cross an ocean & half of North America before getting to me so I'm thinking I may be a little picky about that, the wife is more concerned about it than me.
Nice job. Looks great.

shank3r

Hi Shank,
I'm not sure what you saw in a picture. Pretty sure it was custom made. Everyone I know with the Shadow Awn puts duck tape up there . It would be an improvement, you're right but I have the Awn on an FJ too (thanx OK4WD) and it is awesome. Wind, sun, rain, duct tape, it doesn't let you down. They have something new to go between the RTT and the Awn, supposed to redirect the water in heavy rain but that hasn't been an issue for me. Very little rain gets in and I just don't put the salt, pepper and sugar at the edge of my table. ? Seriously, I'm playing with sticky one sided stuff for the "foot" but not worried, just a precaution.

Gorilla Tape it'll be then.

But the 4Runner I saw on Mustang Island last year had a vinyl pad sewn on where the peg pushes on the top. Even the one's on Alu-Cab's website have something.

shank3r

Success!

It was totally worth it & the wife is Happy!

bdb224a1bb20427be6608c3cfaa34eb4.jpg
4090e8453b2a2a70a34399ec81237f9c.jpg
a742a134bf8247c84fdda6832383cf26.jpg

Greenbean

B.S. Goodwrench
Dang man, I’ve been on and off about the Shadow awning for a couple years now. We go to Ocracoke Island almost two times a year, and I know we don’t even like to be on the beach if the winds are over 15 or so. This may be the hot ticket.

I recently got a set of three Rhino Rack heavy duty cross bars for my LC100. I’m plenty sure three appropriate brackets (one on each bar) would support the Shadow greatly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles