Installing a fiber glass hi top - tips and tricks

Acheateaux

Adventurer
Anyone have any tips? I'm driving out to SoCal at the end of the month to pick up a top and maybe sneak in a few waves. A buddy will be going with me and the plan is to get it installed before we head back.

Anyone done one before?

I'll be getting a fiber one bubble top that has a reverse flange, so getting it down to the roof shouldn't be hard, but what with? Plywood strips and bolts?

Sealant suggestions?

bdog1

Adventurer
3M 5200 sealant seems pretty rugged stuff. Better be sure though, it's tuff once cured!

Sent by wing, prayer & ATT

4cruzer

Adventurer
I had fiberine do it- last week- took a day. Looks like a fine job, raining like hell here and no leaks

Acheateaux

Adventurer
My problem is my schedule. I'll get in Fri afternoon and they don't install on the weekend. I have to be back at work on Mon morning, so no time to get it installed. My plan is to install it Sat and drive back.

4cruzer - can you look at the attachment to give me an idea on how they do it?

boardrider247

Weekend warrior anarchist
If it were me.
Rather then trying to rush to get the top installed away from home, and possibly botch the job.
I would put some crossbars on the van and strap the top down with the big *** ratchet straps and drive home.
Install the top at home in my shop with everything I need at my fingertips. Rather then in a parking lot somewhere away from home.

Acheateaux

Adventurer
Which is plan #2. I would remove the bars from my yakima rack and keep the gutter mounts on as attachment points.

But it is a 1000 mile trip...

86scotty

Cynic
I think too much wind will get under it that way. I have ratcheted a top down before for a pretty long trip. Rather than put it on bars, I would just put right on to your roof like it should go and strap it there. Harbor Freight has some really long ratchet straps cheap that work great for this, but you'll need to use plenty of cloth strips to keep from destroying your paint, both on the top and on the sides of the van. I agree that this should be plan B, the tops aren't hard to install but I have not personally done it so I can't help you there. Oh, you'll get lots of great looks on the highway too with big ratchet straps going all which-a-ways around your van. :sombrero:
Post this in the ground up builds section on Sportsmobile Forum too, or search there. I know it has been done and documented a couple times.

Here's one: full thread link
http://sportsmobileforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=9530
top section, not sure if it'll help or not
http://sportsmobileforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=88110#p88110

Here's another: full thread link
http://sportsmobileforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=4659&hilit=teeots
top section
http://sportsmobileforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=4659&hilit=teeots&start=15

ober27

Adventurer
Acheateaux,

Rather than risk damaging your new top or your van, or both, would it make more sense to rent a trailer for the return trip? That way everything comes home undamaged, and you can work on the installation as your schedule permits.
Good luck with what ever you decide.

Hondaslayer

Adventurer
Sorry to be the realist here, but that just has bad news written all over it. Why not take a few days off work and arrive early or stay later?

Acheateaux

Adventurer
Looks like a delivery that was going to cover the cost out there plus some cash fell through, so pricing out shipping vs gas will cost me an extra Benjamin.

Done deal. It's getting shipped.

So who's got tips for the install? The above links were awesome, but not a ton of info on screwing it down, etc.

Anyone here actually put one of these on?

89s rule

Adventurer
There is a video on youtube by cyclevan? Depends on which mounting style you get as far as mounting as well.

Latetobrake

Its not too bad and easily accomplished in a driveway. Check my build and there are some photos.....1st cut is always the hardest. If it is plain fiberglass the only tip I can give you is to flip it over and line/insulate it the way you want. It can become annoying trying to do everything once installed. I also used 1" thick strips of wood along the sides, as u bend the old roof up there will be a gap from the old roof line, lay the strips in there and bolt thru top/wood and finally thru the metal. Hope this helps.......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94