Installing a Detroit Locker in a Series Sals

KingSlug

Observer
I am not concerned that grinding I will be doing will alter the supporting of the cross on the DL as the stock cross is not supported in this area at the ends of the cross either.

Keith: I am positive the "C's" smaller opening is the only thing holding the DL from seating on the cross bores in the split case. If the each side of the case was 50/50 at the cross the DL would slip right in. But since its 60/40 is just gets held up at the opening of the "C".

Thanks

Jared

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
The no-spin is designed for a 50\50 split of the cross shaft bores. That's why I think you have the wrong DL unit for you're carrier.
Jason T.

revor

Explorer
The no-spin is designed for a 50\50 split of the cross shaft bores. That's why I think you have the wrong DL unit for you're carrier.
Jason T.

Thing is they only make only two types for a Salisbury the only difference is the spline count. All Salisbury carriers are of the same design, the only difference being the gear ratio and the ring gear flange spacing to accommodate that.

http://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/public/@pub/@eaton/@per/documents/content/ct_128302.pdf

Last edited:

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Ya, I looked that up earlier. That's listing the full on Detroit unit though. No mention of the No-spin for a salisbury that I could find. If the unit Jared got is truely listed for a salisbury series axle I'm truely perplexed, and a little disappointed that he might have to modify the carrier to fit it.

Edit: Jared, I managed to get a better look at the pictures from my PC at home. I agree that you probably won't lose anything by grinding a little off the carrier bores to fit it. Just take off as little as necessary and cover the carrier bearings to keep them clean. Still a bummer you have to do that though.
Jason T.

Last edited:

KingSlug

Observer
It is the correct DL, 225SL36 for Salisbury 8HA.

Here are some better pics I took re-sized and edited.

sany0557-edit.jpg

sany0558-edit.jpg

sany0559-edit.jpg

sany0560-edit.jpg

Hopefully the pics will make it clear what I am up against.

Jared

revor

Explorer
Well I took a look at one this weekend and the Sali carrier I have is like this one. I also checked out some Dana 70 info and figure you may as well grind it, seems some dana 70's have this undercut and need to be gound.
I would give Eaton tech support a call and talk with them about it. I've spoken with them before and they are pleasent and knowledgable, if not a little slow to to get backwith you (about 24 hours)
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/D70/D70.htm

For the life of me I don't remember ever grinding when installing a Detroit No Spin in a Salisbury carrier.

Last edited:

revor

Explorer
Ya, I looked that up earlier. That's listing the full on Detroit unit though. No mention of the No-spin for a salisbury that I could find. If the unit Jared got is truely listed for a salisbury

It's really about looking at the Trac Tech light truck part numbers for DL's, If the P/N ends with a letter it's a complete carrier, if it ends with a number it's basically a No Spin, normally they will also indicate that a no spin works with ALL gear ratio's by virtue of fitting in the two piece carrier, someone forgot to add that info for the Salisbury even the 101 Salisbury.

KingSlug

Observer
Well, I just ground the lip on the case. The DL dropped right in, :wings:. I will post some pics tonight of the case all back together.

Thanks for everyone's help. I dropped a note to Eaton Friday and am still waiting for a response. I hope it helps others.

Jared

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke