Installing a 2000 Discovery II mirror in a 1996 Discovery I

achampagne

Explorer
So will a 2000 DII mirror be a direct fit in a 96 DI? YES

edit: wiring

Ok, white goes to red, brown to black and grey to grey, you will need to squeeze the piece that attaches the mirror to the windshield bracket for a good snug fit, but it was pretty easy. I am very happy with it, dims and the compass works!

Chazz Layne

Administrator
Does it block less of the road on a D1 windshield?

My D2 mirror has been sitting in a box for a year because I got tired of not being able to see the other cars at a stop sign... :D

Chazz Layne

Administrator
Well, if any other D1 owners want to do this my old mirror is all yours. It has HomeLink as well, not sure if that would make a difference in wiring or not.

fishEH

Explorer
Well, if any other D1 owners want to do this my old mirror is all yours. It has HomeLink as well, not sure if that would make a difference in wiring or not.

I'm interested in that! My D1 mirror has been leaky since day 1 and I've just lived with it. Having a work one with a compass would be nice! What do you want for it?

Chazz Layne

Administrator
I'm interested in that! My D1 mirror has been leaky since day 1 and I've just lived with it. Having a work one with a compass would be nice! What do you want for it?

Free, send me your address and I'll drop it in the mail.

"Leaky"?

fishEH

Explorer
Free, send me your address and I'll drop it in the mail.

"Leaky"?

Sweet! Thank you! PM en route.
Not sure about the D2's but the D1's auto dim feature was achieved with a fluid in the mirror. That fluid leaked where it wasn't supposed to and now I have a half regular / half dim mirror. I've dealt with it for 2 years but it makes the rear vision kinda blurry.

achampagne

Explorer
166282_1590198752241_1154017402_31323592_463068_n.jpg

If they are a different size I can't tell.

fishEH

Explorer
Looks good. Was this a pretty easy job? Did you have to remove the arm and the mirror or just the mirror itself? Any other tips to make this go smoothly?

achampagne

Explorer
One extra hand would go a long way to hold the mirror while you crimped the connectors, I also added 4" of wire to make it a little easier. For me the mirror just slid down and back on fairly easy, I did need to squeeze the 2 small arms on the mirror for a snugger fit. Whn checking for which wire was igniton hot I used the hinge in the passenger door for a ground for my tester.

Chazz Layne

Administrator
I might be able to make it even easier for you. I can't remember if I kept it or not, but I cut the plug off of the wiring harness in the process of cleaning it all up. If I find it, I'll send that with the mirror too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94