Installation for Hydronic heater

westyss

Explorer
Yes as John said if it is tied into the coolant system there is no need to for an expansion tank or any problems with air locks.
Mine runs from the engine all the way to the back of the truck passing through two radiator/fan heat exchangers and a Isotemp hot water tank.

So while driving the cabin can be heated up and the hot water tank gets to temperature so once arriving to a camp spot you can hop into a nice warm camper and have a hot shower right away without using any fuel or listening to the D5 going and that hot water will stay hot for two days.

I did have one leak in ten years that came from one of the radiator heat exchangers, it never had a clamp on the hose at all! Don’t know how I missed it but I did, but even with no clamp the leak was minuscule.

Alloy

Last week I saw an engine that is being rebuilt because a hose in the heating system went and the driver didn't notice the coolant temp was high.

Moral to the story is make sure there's a high temp alarm.

Joe917

Explorer
Our system is also tied into the coolant system directly. This is a typical installation. The only failure we have had was a lower rad hose rupture. I clamped off the hose, cut it at the rupture, inserted a piece of exhaust pipe and clamped. Then with the clamps removed and the radiator vent in the bathroom open I topped off the engine side of the circuit from the camper circuit.
You are most likely to have a failure on the engine loop. The hoses are exposed to more vibration and foreign object damage.
The only reason for a catastrophic engine failure with coolant loss is operator error, not constantly checking your gauges.

HAF

I have built a protective box around the heater and plumbing in an effort to keep it free from damage. The addition of a replaceable filter will keep the intake of heater free from dust. Handknobs makes for easy entry inside of box.
I put the filter part number on the filter grill.

Attachments

• image_50390529.JPG
    image_50390529.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 39
  • image_50397441.JPG
    image_50397441.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 37
  • image_50416641.JPG
    image_50416641.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 36
  • image_67130625.JPG
    image_67130625.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 33
Last edited:

HAF

I have built a protective box around the heater and plumbing in an effort to keep it free from damage. The addition of a replaceable filter will keep the intake of heater free from dust. Handknobs makes for easy entry inside of box.
I put the filter part number on the filter grill to make it easy for future replacements.

ben1ben1ben

Yes as John said if it is tied into the coolant system there is no need to for an expansion tank or any problems with air locks.
Mine runs from the engine all the way to the back of the truck passing through two radiator/fan heat exchangers and a Isotemp hot water tank.

So while driving the cabin can be heated up and the hot water tank gets to temperature so once arriving to a camp spot you can hop into a nice warm camper and have a hot shower right away without using any fuel or listening to the D5 going and that hot water will stay hot for two days.

I did have one leak in ten years that came from one of the radiator heat exchangers, it never had a clamp on the hose at all! Don’t know how I missed it but I did, but even with no clamp the leak was minuscule.

Please can you sketch out the topology? Looking at the eberspacher site (and their catalogue https://www.eberspacher.com/fileadm...ting_pdf_ebuk/heating_ancillary_catalogue.pdf ) it doesnt show how a split circuit (engine preheat, engine heats calorifier, heater heats calorifier) can be put together or controlled (see their example diagram).. Ideally I want engine preheat before starting, once underway and up to operating temperature the engine "waste" heat heats water in a tank calorifier, when parked up the engine can stay cold and the heater heats only water through the calorifier. So some combination of 3 way valves temp sensors and simple controller combined with a water pump and fuel pump. I have a AWD transit LWB 2012 with an Airtronic 2Kw air heater and a new Ford Transit specific Hydronic 5Kw. Would like to use the engine glycol/expansion circuit and be able to shut it off close to the engine if there are issues. The water and fuel pump are really expensive, any other options?
Screenshot 2021-10-11 at 15.19.21.png
Thanks for any advice!!

Joe917

Explorer
Please can you sketch out the topology? Looking at the eberspacher site (and their catalogue https://www.eberspacher.com/fileadm...ting_pdf_ebuk/heating_ancillary_catalogue.pdf ) it doesnt show how a split circuit (engine preheat, engine heats calorifier, heater heats calorifier) can be put together or controlled (see their example diagram).. Ideally I want engine preheat before starting, once underway and up to operating temperature the engine "waste" heat heats water in a tank calorifier, when parked up the engine can stay cold and the heater heats only water through the calorifier. So some combination of 3 way valves temp sensors and simple controller combined with a water pump and fuel pump. I have a AWD transit LWB 2012 with an Airtronic 2Kw air heater and a new Ford Transit specific Hydronic 5Kw. Would like to use the engine glycol/expansion circuit and be able to shut it off close to the engine if there are issues. The water and fuel pump are really expensive, any other options?
View attachment 686805
Thanks for any advice!!
This diagram is for adding to a truck for pre heat, the typical install. It does not take a habitat loop into consideration. Do not place the heater in this position.
The diagram below shows heater location for a camper box.
IMG_20210321_153723_BURST001_COVER.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne