Install auxiliary battery in 2011 LC

ronnunan

Just bought a 2011 LC... wife’s daily driver and she wants to add a small fridge.
Would like to have an auxiliary battery added to handle this. I’ve seen videos where the aux battery fits under hood.
Looking for recommendations in SoCal for a shop to do this. I could probably do myself but don’t have the time.
Any help is appreciated....
22a7afbbbd8ecf6779150c08a2356af1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WOODY2

Adventurer
Try Bent Motor sports in San Marcos. Try to stay away from chain shops. Depending on fridge use some just install a group 31 with larger capacity. Can be done in less than a day if you have all the parts. PM if you want more info.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
You will need a dual battery tray . I just installed the Slee dual battery tray. It is a very easy installation . The P/S bracket and reservoir is removed and relocated to the new battery tray. The tray bolts to four captured nuts.

Next you will need a dual battery system. I'm installing the National Luna system.

It is specifically designed for a Group 35 battery .

I'd think it would be better to supply the shop you are having do the work with all the components. Good luck.

ronnunan

You will need a dual battery tray . I just installed the Slee dual battery tray. It is a very easy installation . The P/S bracket and reservoir is removed and relocated to the new battery tray. The tray bolts to four captured nuts.

Next you will need a dual battery system. I'm installing the National Luna system.

It is specifically designed for a Group 35 battery .

I'd think it would be better to supply the shop you are having do the work with all the components. Good luck.

Thanks.. that’s the tray I need.
I’ll probably use blue seas for the components but I appreciate the info.

Eric Edwards

Adventurer
consider a goal zero yeti lithium instead. Find the thread on ih8mud.

The goal zero yeti will not work if you have a winch. If all you are looking for is a 2nd battery to jump start your rig or run a refrig, then there may be easier options. Btw, my build was vetted by an electrical aerospace engineer who works on satellites. It never failed, was rock solid and I had high confidence in it.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
The goal zero yeti will not work if you have a winch. If all you are looking for is a 2nd battery to jump start your rig or run a refrig, then there may be easier options. Btw, my build was vetted by an electrical aerospace engineer who works on satellites. It never failed, was rock solid and I had high confidence in it.

Winch should go to the primary battery, as it’s connected to the alternator and your not winching when the motor is off. Did you really connect your winch to your second battery? That’d be the first time I’ve seen that.

Also you get about double the usable amp hours out of a lithium GZ. How much does a usable ~100ah agm weigh? 120lbs? GZ is 42 lbs.

Jumping is done by another tiny lithium battery (anti gravity) and also serves many other uses.

Your alternator is probably not charging your dual batteries to spec. Unless your tending them via wall plug. And how are you integrating solar? Oh, and how much does your setup weigh?
Do you have an inverter?
Etc etc etc.

Eric Edwards

Adventurer
Winch should go to the primary battery, as it’s connected to the alternator and your not winching when the motor is off. Did you really connect your winch to your second battery? That’d be the first time I’ve seen that.

Also you get about double the usable amp hours out of a lithium GZ. How much does a usable ~100ah agm weigh? 120lbs? GZ is 42 lbs.

Jumping is done by another tiny lithium battery (anti gravity) and also serves many other uses.

Your alternator is probably not charging your dual batteries to spec. Unless your tending them via wall plug. And how are you integrating solar? Oh, and how much does your setup weigh?
Do you have an inverter?
Etc etc etc.

You clearly didn't take the time to look at my link or almost all of your questions would be answered. I'd say once a year I tend with a Norco when I'm out of town. I have a LC200 that weighs more than an 18 wheeler, so one extra AGM doesn't bother me. My solar panel is connected to Go Power! Solar Regulator, that then connects to an AGM that is then connected to my Go Power Inverter... all inside the nose cone of my Adventure Trailer Horizon. Which is pulled by either my fully built 200 series or my fully built G550. My wife is hot, my dog is loyal and I am adored by millions. Or, I just gave him an option different than yours and you got butt hurt.

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader
You clearly didn't take the time to look at my link or almost all of your questions would be answered. I'd say once a year I tend with a Norco when I'm out of town. I have a LC200 that weighs more than an 18 wheeler, so one extra AGM doesn't bother me. My solar panel is connected to Go Power! Solar Regulator, that then connects to an AGM that is then connected to my Go Power Inverter... all inside the nose cone of my Adventure Trailer Horizon. Which is pulled by either my fully built 200 series or my fully built G550. My wife is hot, my dog is loyal and I am adored by millions. Or, I just gave him an option different than yours and you got butt hurt.

Yeah, like I thought.

From your other thread:
“ I have several engineer friends who couldn't even come to a consensus on whether to even fuse the two batteries or not. ”

From this thread:
“ Btw, my build was vetted by an electrical aerospace engineer who works on satellites.”

Simple question of how to power a fridge. So far you’ve brought 2+ engineers, your trailer, your Benz, your dog, your wife into the thread. Why?

You’re the one who said my suggestion wouldn’t work.

It does.

Who’s setup is more expensive, heavier, more complex and needs to be plugged into the wall?

Last edited:

Ryanmb21

Expedition Leader

Congratulations to @Eric Edwards tonight’s winner of overland Bingo!

B - winch
I - dual battery kit
N - overland trailer
G - over gvwr
O - shore power plug

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Just bought a 2011 LC... wife’s daily driver and she wants to add a small fridge.
Would like to have an auxiliary battery added to handle this. I’ve seen videos where the aux battery fits under hood.
Looking for recommendations in SoCal for a shop to do this. I could probably do myself but don’t have the time.
Any help is appreciated....
22a7afbbbd8ecf6779150c08a2356af1.jpg

Does your wife plan on running the fridge 24/7 ? A little more info would be more useful . There could be an easier solution.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles